• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Binocular Questions

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I Have a old pair of Bushnell Binoculars that were my husbands. Numbers on them are: 10x50 7 inch. I know nothing about binoculars but want to have a pair for my Alaska Cruise next year for wildlife viewing from the ship. Are these good for that or should I get a new pair? If so, what numbers should I look for to get best viewing experience?
Suzanne

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Those 10 x 70 Bushnell are the right ones to have for viewing wildlife. I use the same for hunting. I have a 10 x 50 auto focus for fishing because of the movement on a small fishing boat. I think you are good with what you have.

Bill

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do the Numbers mean?

Binoculars are often specified by a set of numbers such as 7×35 or 8×40, the first number indicates the strength of magnification(how many times closer the subject is to you, 5 times closer, 7 times closer, 10 times closer) and the second number is the size of the objective lens measured in millimeters going across the lens. The size of the objective lens will determine how much light the binocular can obtain for effective viewing. The higher the number, the larger the lens; in effect allowing more light to pass through thereby projecting a brighter image and viewing experience. However, binoculars with smaller lenses are more compact and portable.

Your binoculars reveal a quality, powerful set. Hang on to them, don't sell them, and USE THEM. Bushnell is an outstanding company!

Just remember to clean the lenses first, on both ends. of course. The focusing roller is in the middle, between the lenses.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I hope you aren’t disappointed like we were in September, we took Alaska cruise and saw 0 wildlife from the ship. We had a nice view of glaciers and scenery but that was it.

We took a whale tour in a small boat and saw seals at the boat harbor, also lots of bald eagles, they seem to be common as pigeons are here. We spent a few hours chasing whale sighting but never got closer that 100yds from a whale.

Overall it was very disappointing expecting wildlife viewing on a cruise, I think you need to take a land tour into Denali, and its a long trek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Adding on: Usually one of the smaller eyepieces will have a focusing ring on it. Close the other eye and turn that ring till things are clearly focused for you on that eye. Then the center ring will bring both eyes into clear focus.

Since your cruise isn't till next year, you have time to take those binoculars out and test them out. Figure the ship won't get too close to shore, so you'll want to be able to view things at least a few hundred yards away. Go to a park, or to a football game in a stadium, or someplace where you can try to see movement at distance. That will not only give you a good feel for how they work for you, but also a bit of experience using them. The advantage is that once they're focused for far distance from the ship, they'll stay at that distance till you change the focus.

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Those should work fine but practice with them before your trip. Sometimes 10 power can be hard to hold steady and the shaking of the image can cause and unpleasant experience and eye strain. Sometimes a good strap or even a sling can help hold them steady.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
I Have a old pair of Bushnell Binoculars that were my husbands. Numbers on them are: 10x50 7 inch. I know nothing about binoculars but want to have a pair for my Alaska Cruise next year for wildlife viewing from the ship. Are these good for that or should I get a new pair? If so, what numbers should I look for to get best viewing experience?
Suzanne
Aloha,
Others have addressed the technical details. 7x50 binoculars are sometimes called night glasses because they are better than 7x35 in dim or night light (e.g. stars / milky way). They are also heavier - (as are image stabilized binoculars) - than smaller 7x35. My $0.02 of advice is to try holding whatever binocular you are considering steady on something far away. If your wrists or arms tire quickly to the extent that you cannot hold whatever you are looking at steady, try a low cost small roof prism binocular in a big box sporting goods store. OTOH, if you are taking a monopod or tripod anyway and if your bushell's happen to have an adapter to mount like a camera, then that's a winner.
Jack

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A trick to steady binoculars my father (the Merchant Marine and Coast Guard Boatswains' Mate career sailor) taught me:

Wear a ball cap snugly on your head. Hold the binoculars in both hands, but when you put them up to your eyes, extend your index fingers over the top of the bill on the hat, and clamp them down. This holds the binoculars against the underside of the bill, and steadies the view. It works very, very well. :)

Dave

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, you might consider getting a monopod if you don't have a monopod or tripod. If there is a outdoor store, or optical store, or birdwatching store in your area, take the binocs. with you and ask what they recommend for holding them steady. Your's are probably fairly heavy, so you might need some help for extended viewing.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you aren’t disappointed like we were in September, we took Alaska cruise and saw 0 wildlife from the ship. We had a nice view of glaciers and scenery but that was it.

We took a whale tour in a small boat and saw seals at the boat harbor, also lots of bald eagles, they seem to be common as pigeons are here. We spent a few hours chasing whale sighting but never got closer that 100yds from a whale.

Overall it was very disappointing expecting wildlife viewing on a cruise, I think you need to take a land tour into Denali, and its a long trek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It doesn’t matter which month you travel to Alaska. We have done four Alaska cruises and the only wildlife we saw was in Glacier Bay. Only the cruise ships that travel from Anchorage to Vancouver go into that bay. I would not bother taking them if weight become an issue in your suistcase. We didn’t take a pair on our last three trips. You might use them in other places or on a tour, but there is not much to see from the ship.

Brett

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter which month you travel to Alaska. We have done four Alaska cruises and the only wildlife we saw was in Glacier Bay. Only the cruise ships that travel from Anchorage to Vancouver go into that bay. I would not bother taking them if weight become an issue in your suistcase. We didn’t take a pair on our last three trips. You might use them in other places or on a tour, but there is not much to see from the ship.

there might not be much to see from the ship but if the cruise offers shore trips then you can see wildlife (depending on the place and time)

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 7 x 50 and 7 x 35 binoculars as well as $40 zoom lens 10-30 x 50, but my favorite is a small pair with quality lens that I bought for traveling, Bushnell 10 x 26.

http://bushnellbinoculars.net/bushnell-legend-ultra-hd-10x26-bak-4-black-binoculars

The most important factor is the quality of the lens and this Bushnell is an excellent value.

Anything over 10 power is too difficult to hold steady. I have to use my zoom lens like a telescope because it's too difficult to focus both eyes. Also, being cheap, it doesn't let in much light.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our ship is going into Glacier Bay. Schedule shows it will be in there from 1 to 6 pm. Hoping to see glacier calving and some marine animals.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those 10 x 70 Bushnell are the right ones to have for viewing wildlife. I use the same for hunting. I have a 10 x 50 auto focus for fishing because of the movement on a small fishing boat. I think you are good with what you have.

Bill
Thank you for your help.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do the Numbers mean?

Binoculars are often specified by a set of numbers such as 7×35 or 8×40, the first number indicates the strength of magnification(how many times closer the subject is to you, 5 times closer, 7 times closer, 10 times closer) and the second number is the size of the objective lens measured in millimeters going across the lens. The size of the objective lens will determine how much light the binocular can obtain for effective viewing. The higher the number, the larger the lens; in effect allowing more light to pass through thereby projecting a brighter image and viewing experience. However, binoculars with smaller lenses are more compact and portable.

Your binoculars reveal a quality, powerful set. Hang on to them, don't sell them, and USE THEM. Bushnell is an outstanding company!

Just remember to clean the lenses first, on both ends. of course. The focusing roller is in the middle, between the lenses.
Thank you, this is info I needed.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your help. I will go out and practice using ones I have. I'm taking my travel tripod for my camera, will check to see if binoculars has a mounting plate.
Suzanne

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your help. I will go out and practice using ones I have. I'm taking my travel tripod for my camera, will check to see if binoculars has a mounting plate.
Suzanne

If your binos don't have a way to attach to a tripod, you may be able to buy an adapter.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
All of Alaska can have rainy weather in the summer . . . for days & weeks on end. And the inside passage can be the worst as much of it is rain forest type climate. So be prepared with good waterproof outerwear and shoes/boots. And don't expect to use an umbrella; they are rarely seen in Alaska and with wind, rendered useless.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Suzanne

Tripods on ships/boats are generally frowned upon because of the space they need and being a trip hazard.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tripods on ships/boats are generally frowned upon because of the space they need and being a trip hazard.
I agree, but no one objected to my using a monopod on a Holland America cruise to Alaska. I wasn't targeting wildlife. We went in late September when the ship could come within two or three hundred yards of the glacier front. I had my monopod mounted camera's video mode running continuously on the glacier face. I only had to twist my wrist a bit as soon as I heard the cracking sound of calving. So I captured the ice dropping into bay and the enormous wave action that followed. Folks who waited for that signal to start dealing with their camera were too late to capture most of the action.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A number of comments...

As "slip" recommended in a previous post, practice a bit with your current binoculars to see whether you are satisfied. As he mentioned, with 10X binoculars, hand shake can become an issue. I do a lot of bird watching and would not use anything above an 8X. If in practicing 10X is okay with you, then you are okay, but practice.

The other issue that immediately sticks out is that you say that you have 10X50. Those are very large binoculars. Weight is again an issue in that it induces more hand shake. Plus, they are very large to pack.

Bushnell makes a wide range of products from fairly inexpensive to very expensive. No telling what you have. If you do consider getting another pair, I would not consider the top price brackets in that from what you said you have not had much need for binoculars. You might consider a modest step up in choosing a lower price pair that has BAK4 lenses. What are they? Almost all binoculars, including the cheapest, focus very well in the center of the viewing field. The edges of the viewing field are a different matter, however. With BAK4 lens, the whole field is in focus. That means if you initially spot something and it toward the edge of the field, it will be in immediate focus and easier to shift over to put the object in the center of your field. But, again, don't go overboard on price. You don't use binoculars that much.

Finally, a tip on how best to view something. Most people, when they see something that they want to see with their binoculars, look down, put the binoculars up to their eyes, and then start scanning back and forth trying to find what they wanted to see. Often, they have a hard time getting the object into their field of vision. ("Where it is?") Instead, look straight at what you want to look at, don't waiver, and bring the binoculars up to your eyes. Whatever it is that you wanted to see will automatically be in your field of vision from the get go. This is something that you should practice.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of Alaska can have rainy weather in the summer . . . for days & weeks on end. And the inside passage can be the worst as much of it is rain forest type climate. So be prepared with good waterproof outerwear and shoes/boots. And don't expect to use an umbrella; they are rarely seen in Alaska and with wind, rendered useless.

Thanks Yvonne, I lived on Oregon Coast for 30 years so I know what you mean about wind and rain. I am taking my hiking boots and my winter water proof coat along with hat and gloves as my fingers get cold so easily. Hoping that mid September will be drier than the summer months.
Suzanne

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
A number of comments...

As "slip" recommended in a previous post, practice a bit with your current binoculars to see whether you are satisfied. As he mentioned, with 10X binoculars, hand shake can become an issue. I do a lot of bird watching and would not use anything above an 8X. If in practicing 10X is okay with you, then you are okay, but practice.

The other issue that immediately sticks out is that you say that you have 10X50. Those are very large binoculars. Weight is again an issue in that it induces more hand shake. Plus, they are very large to pack.

Bushnell makes a wide range of products from fairly inexpensive to very expensive. No telling what you have. If you do consider getting another pair, I would not consider the top price brackets in that from what you said you have not had much need for binoculars. You might consider a modest step up in choosing a lower price pair that has BAK4 lenses. What are they? Almost all binoculars, including the cheapest, focus very well in the center of the viewing field. The edges of the viewing field are a different matter, however. With BAK4 lens, the whole field is in focus. That means if you initially spot something and it toward the edge of the field, it will be in immediate focus and easier to shift over to put the object in the center of your field. But, again, don't go overboard on price. You don't use binoculars that much.

Finally, a tip on how best to view something. Most people, when they see something that they want to see with their binoculars, look down, put the binoculars up to their eyes, and then start scanning back and forth trying to find what they wanted to see. Often, they have a hard time getting the object into their field of vision. ("Where it is?") Instead, look straight at what you want to look at, don't waiver, and bring the binoculars up to your eyes. Whatever it is that you wanted to see will automatically be in your field of vision from the get go. This is something that you should practice.

Thank you Roger for your help. My friends that are going on the cruise with me just gave me a new pair of 12X42 binoculars for Christmas. They have the BAK4 lens in them and are smaller than my old Bushnell's so I will be taking them on the cruise. I will follow everyone's advice and practice using them since this is new to me.
Thank you again for your help.
Suzanne

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, but no one objected to my using a monopod on a Holland America cruise to Alaska. I wasn't targeting wildlife. We went in late September when the ship could come within two or three hundred yards of the glacier front. I had my monopod mounted camera's video mode running continuously on the glacier face. I only had to twist my wrist a bit as soon as I heard the cracking sound of calving. So I captured the ice dropping into bay and the enormous wave action that followed. Folks who waited for that signal to start dealing with their camera were too late to capture most of the action.

Thank you for your help. I am taking my travel tripod for using on shore excursions and on my balcony on the ship. I would be interested in learning more about using the video mode for "hopefully" getting the glacier calving. What camera/lens setup and settings were you using? How early in seeing the glacier from the ship did you start filming in video mode? Would a 64GB card be enough for the video?
Thank you,
Suzanne

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for your help. I am taking my travel tripod for using on shore excursions and on my balcony on the ship. I would be interested in learning more about using the video mode for "hopefully" getting the glacier calving. What camera/lens setup and settings were you using? How early in seeing the glacier from the ship did you start filming in video mode? Would a 64GB card be enough for the video?
Thank you,
Suzanne
I used a modern good brand point and shoot digital camera. I believe they all have video mode now. I used the maximum GB chip the camera would take, but never came close to filling it. It turns out that the battery died first. If I ever do it again, I will have a fully charged spare battery with me (as opposed to in my cabin where they were) as well as an extra memory chip. Those cost nothing in comparison to the cost of being there. I guess if you keep the tripod legs together, it might function like a very heavy monopod. The full extension needs to be taller than most people or when you swivel the apparatus, you will likely be pointing at the back of someone's head.
Jack