• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island Suggestions

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know if you can rent chairs or lounges at this beach? What do you normally bring to this beach, just towels?

thanks going next week!

Chris

We bring small beach chairs (from resort), insulated soft bag, etc. I carried my chair on my back and hiked with cane to the spot. Trail is spotty in places, but walked before when abled body & knew I could make it. I should mention the views are outstanding on the hike

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We bring small beach chairs (from resort), insulated soft bag, etc. I carried my chair on my back and hiked with cane to the spot. Trail is spotty in places, but walked before when abled body & knew I could make it. I should mention the views are outstanding on the hike
You are talking about the walk down from the parking area to the beach at the Mauna Kea? We've done it a few times and don't remember it being what I would consider a "hike". I think the walk down to Hapuna Beach may be longer. One thing to note, if it hasn't already been noted, is that parking for Mauna Kea beach is very limited (or at least it used to be). You need to get there early. I think that's one reason we started going to Hapuna instead.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The walk from the beach parking to Mauna Kea beach is only 2 minutes down a paved access road.

bagabonz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Club Waikoloa
We usually try to get there by 8:00 am. By 8:30 it’s typically full. One of my favorite spots in all the islands i’ve been to.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We usually try to get there by 8:00 am. By 8:30 it’s typically full. One of my favorite spots in all the islands i’ve been to.
My first trip to Hawaii was in 1968 when my parents took my sister and I there . Our first island was the Big Island. We flew into Hilo, spent one night there then on to the Mauna Kea, which had not been open long and was the ONLY hotel in that area. My first experience with a beach on Hawaii was the beach at the Mauna Kea. I had grown up in southern California so beaches were not foreign to me. I thought it was the most beautiful spot I'd seen and I still think it is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever been to. However Hapuna Beach is not far behind it.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
My first trip to Hawaii was in 1968 when my parents took my sister and I there . Our first island was the Big Island. We flew into Hilo, spent one night there then on to the Mauna Kea, which had not been open long and was the ONLY hotel in that area. My first experience with a beach on Hawaii was the beach at the Mauna Kea. I had grown up in southern California so beaches were not foreign to me. I thought it was the most beautiful spot I'd seen and I still think it is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever been to. However Hapuna Beach is not far behind it.

I plan on seeing both those beaches next week. I will let you know about it. Thanks

bagabonz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Club Waikoloa
Not to be nit picky but as an FYI its really Kauna’oa beach at the Mauna Kea hotel. I spoke with some locals in Waikoloa and thats what they called it.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We've always found that every place we've stayed has had towels we can use for the beach. I wouldn't waste suitcase space for them.

They come in handy when you sneak over to the Hilton Waikoloa pools without using those ugly green striped Bay Club towels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
They come in handy when you sneak over to the Hilton Waikoloa pools without using those ugly green striped Bay Club towels.

I've never bothered to sneak over to the Hilton pools. We're more beach people than pool people. We stayed at the Hilton one night between timeshares and my daughters got bored with the pools very quickly.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
We did the Deluxe Volcano Experience offered by Kailani Tours and cannot say enough good things about it. Visit the web site to see all they offer. Worth every penny!

Aside from that, I also recommend self-paced tours using the Gypsy Guide app. On a previous trip to Oahu, we paid some big bucks for a Circle Island tour, on a huge bus, with 50 strangers (and some really strange people, too) at the tour guide's pace. With the app, we rented a car for a day, and paid $8 for the app, and away we went. We stopped where we wanted to stop, for as long as we wanted, skipped what we weren't interested in, and ate where we wanted to! We loved it so much, we got the version for Big Island and Kauai as well. We toured the Kona Coast, Punalu’u Black Sand Beach, and all sorts of hidden by-ways we'd never have found without the app. On another day, we toured the Kohala Coast, Hawi and Pololu Valley, and down through Hilo.

On the way back, we went up to the visitor center on Mauna Kea for the stargazing presentation. That was utterly breathtaking. If you do this, be sure to bring warm clothing, as the temperature drops into the 40s after dark, with some really brisk winds.

Another app is the Shaka Guide, that does the same thing, but only has a volcano tour for Big Island, which we had already done with Kailani Tours. It's excellent for Oahu and Kauai, and we plan to use both apps when we return to Hawaii next year with Maui on the itinerary.

Last edited:

geoand

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are talking about the walk down from the parking area to the beach at the Mauna Kea? We've done it a few times and don't remember it being what I would consider a "hike". I think the walk down to Hapuna Beach may be longer. One thing to note, if it hasn't already been noted, is that parking for Mauna Kea beach is very limited (or at least it used to be). You need to get there early. I think that's one reason we started going to Hapuna instead.
I am referring to when I parked at Hapuna and made the hike to Mauna Kea beach. Continuing the story from earlier post

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
My favourite big island beach is Makalawena. You have to endure a 15 minute walk along a trail from the parking lot, but this quells the crowd.
Or ... rent a JEEP :D

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Or ... rent a JEEP :D
Yeah, if you want to be uncomfortable the entire time you're there. :cool: We had a Jeep on a rental in MO a few years ago. Most uncomfortable ride I've ever had, and it was worse for the driver.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, if you want to be uncomfortable the entire time you're there. :cool: We had a Jeep on a rental in MO a few years ago. Most uncomfortable ride I've ever had, and it was worse for the driver.
Can't do this in a comfy car .... I'll keep our JEEP thanks.

Or here:

Attachments

• IMG_8394.jpg
    IMG_8394.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
To each, his (or her) own. :hi:

amen, that was a long boring drive to an ugly beach, I had to zoom over most of it.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Except they didn’t show Makalawena Beach (which I promise you is spectacular).

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
not sure what beach is in your photo, but Makalawena looks like this:
kona_kekaha_kai_makalawena_beach_hike.jpg

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
not sure what beach is in your photo, but Makalawena looks like this:
That arounnd the point ... we ran out of time to make it that far ... again ... Next time

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the Big Island I love taking a drive to Waipio Valley, Hamakua Coast, and Akaka Falls. My favorite is going to the Black Sands Beach and Place of Refuge. If you are going to the Volcano go to the Panalulu Bakery. Buy lots of bread, it is my favorite. Sometimes Costco will have it but its not guaranteed. It makes wonderful sandwiches and breakfast toast, I promise you its not to be missed. I like spending a little time in Kona especially if I can go over to the Kona Brewery. The beer is great but food is really good. Never had a bad meal there. I always just have my snorkeling gear in the car when we go anywhere, I dont rent....I bought the full mask type from Amazon. You can breathe through your nose and nothing goes in your mouth. I didnt buy fins bcz I trip on them and I can get around pretty easy in the water. Ive only been to Oahu once. I loved the Matsumoto Shaved Ice.....put in the best snow cone in the world on your computer and Matsumoto will appear. Its on the north shore. I enjoyed Pearl Harbor and I liked the bowl.....lots of information. I liked turtle beach.....they protect the turtles and volunteers are very friendly. We hiked Diamond head. Im a senior citizen and Im not in great shape and it wasnt hard. We stayed by Waikiki Beach but didnt spend time shopping there, walked to the beach one day, didnt go into Honolulu at all. Im not into big cities when Im on vacation. Spent most of our time on the north shore.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

geoand

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have to wait until March before we are on the Big Island again. Told my friends living there that I was probably to blame for the Volcano activity this past few days because I angered the Volcano Goddess Pele because this year is the first year since the mid 90's we did not go to the Islands