• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big island revealed book

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
should I buy the Big Island revealed book. I got the Maui book probably 10 years ago and it was useful but now not sure the book is needed with smart phones.

Opinions.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
should I buy the book. I got the Maui book probably 10 years ago and it was useful but now not sure the book is needed .

Opinions.
I haven't used that one but have their's for Maui, Oahu and Kauai for several editions and really liked them. They live on Kauai but there has been some controversy around some of their recommendations. I bought the app for a couple of islands last trip and it was very helpful. You can likely buy the older editions much cheaper. A quick look at Amazon suggests you could get the 2011 edition for around $5 & the 2016 for around $8. I didn't see a used version for a reasonable price looking at the 2018 version but if you keep looking, you should be able to get that one cheaper as well, esp once the new edition comes out next week. One trip we had we would not have had enough time to get the book in question at home once that version were released so they mailed it to the hotel instead.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought all of the Revealed books on ebay for a few dollars each.

I especially like the maps and scenic info, I use the internet for reviews.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We personally love this book series and own books for Maui, Kauai, and The Big Island. We don't always own the most current version of each, but we use them all the time and update them semi-regularly. For our trip earlier this year, we bought the iPhone App version of the Kauai book, but I found the paper book easier to use and to find info.

I prefer these kinds of professionally-done guidebooks over internet reviews, because you really never know what you are getting with online reviews. Does the online reviewer have the same likes/preferences/standards as we do? Was there something that happened - either bad or good - that had an outsized impact on their positive or negative review? That's one thing I like about a community like TUG - if you spend enough time reading the comments, you can learn which TUGgers seem to have similar standards/likes as we do, so I put more weight on their opinions/reviews. There are also other TUGgers who I know from reading their posts are happy to stay in places we would find less appealing, so I put less weight on their reviews. The anonymity of other review sites like Trip Advisor make them much less informative since I know nothing about the person writing the review. On the other hand, I really like professionally written guidebooks like the Revealed series for Hawaii or something like Rick Steves for Europe.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have never been to the big island. Going in July staying at Wyndham Kona Resort
I use yelp for restaurant reviews. I mostly want to find beaches and reviews of tours etc.

The app is 17.99 but I can get the kindle version of the book for less than that or the printed version.
which do you recommend
Kindle book on ipad
actual paperback
the APP

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have never been to the big island. Going in July staying at Wyndham Kona Resort
I use yelp for restaurant reviews. I mostly want to find beaches and reviews of tours etc.

The app is 17.99 but I can get the kindle version of the book for less than that or the printed version.
which do you recommend
Kindle book on ipad
actual paperback
the APP
I use tripadvisor and Open Table for restaurant reviews. Don't entirely trust yelp.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
The print book is usually available at the Kona Costco. Of course for several dollars less than publish price.
I like actual books too better than e-books, as I don't always want to carry tablets around with me when touring. Especially to beach. To each their own.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
The print book is usually available at the Kona Costco. Of course for several dollars less than publish price.
I like actual books too better than e-books, as I don't always want to carry tablets around with me when touring. Especially to beach. To each their own.
We just got back from Hana and even though I had researched beforehand on the internet,the book was extremely helpful. Also no internet service in many spots. We own all the books and update them every few years at the local Costco

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I found the app to be very nice. Contained the exact same info as the book, but assuming your device has location services, it provides quick reference to portions of the book based on where you are. Nothing miraculous about that; all apps do it - just a bit more convenient than the book.

Been many years since I used it. Not sure if the app provides free updates vs buying the next edition of the book.
Con is the app takes up a ton of memory.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ordered new book from Amazon

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, jjking42, for the timely question. We're headed to Kauai this summer with our grandkids, and I was just looking over an old marked up, dog eared Kauai Revealed guidebook, thinking about ordering the newest edition. I've always found their guides much more useful than TripAdvisor and Yelp reviews. We also enjoy listening to the GyPSy guides while we wander around the islands.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
A colleague of mine was on the Big Island this past Christmas with her DH and their two grown children and their spouses. They loved the Revealed book so much that they had a copy for each couple as they planned their trip and then they all carried them with them around the island. She passed along a copy to me and I also ordered the Kauai version (just recently published the latest edition). For planning I'm loving their style. And I'm planning on carrying them around as we visit. I did also download their app, all 4 islands is cheaper than 2 individual ones if you're visiting more than one. Probably overkill since we have the books, but the app looks to be handy for up to date info...especially since the BI book was published before last year's volcano eruption.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the books, own them all. They are quite entertaining. In spots they will make you laugh. Btw Wyndham Kona resort is very nice. There is a Costco close to the airport. Look for Punalulu bread and buy lots. The bakery is on the way to the volcano sure you stop by and taste the pastries and you can buy the bread there, too. If you are taking kids buy POG juice. There is a lot of driving and you will want to bring sandwiches. I like kona brewery, Good food and great beer. Costco gas is the cheapest by far.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Probably overkill since we have the books, but the app looks to be handy for up to date info...especially since the BI book was published before last year's volcano eruption.

The app is also handy to find out “What’s near me right now?” If you’re out and about. The books are great for planning ahead, but the app helps when you’re “in the moment.”

Dave

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a caution. I have read, and experienced local Hawaiian's immense dislike for the book. Go ahead and read it, but I's recommend against carrying it with you, or referencing it when talking to locals.
The series has a bad rep on all the Islands, but is very popular with tourists. I know I bought one before our first trip. Now I use other sources, mainly Trip Advisor Hawaii forums for current, up to date information.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Just a caution. I have read, and experienced local Hawaiian's immense dislike for the book. Go ahead and read it, but I's recommend against carrying it with you, or referencing it when talking to locals.
The series has a bad rep on all the Islands, but is very popular with tourists. I know I bought one before our first trip. Now I use other sources, mainly Trip Advisor Hawaii forums for current, up to date information.

Interesting. Do you know why locals dislike the book? Is there misinformation or is it that locals don't want Mainlanders to be knowledgeable about their "secret" beaches, hikes etc.?

I find the "Revealed" series to be more informative and less biased than the vast majority of travel guides.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting. Do you know why locals dislike the book? Is there misinformation or is it that locals don't want Mainlanders to be knowledgeable about their "secret" beaches, hikes etc.?

I find the "Revealed" series to be more informative and less biased than the vast majority of travel guides.
I've noticed several TripAdviser comments about the Big Island and Maui "Reviled" books that locals don't like tourists being encouraged to go on private property and sacred grounds.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

From what I have heard, they feel it promotes going to certain spots that they feel shouldn’t be visited, like Queens Bath. They also feel that many people going to some of these spots has lead to them being locked off and made in accessible.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Totally understandable points, and a good reminder to always be respectful of cultures and appreciative of the hospitality that is extended without taking advantage of their resources.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really liked the Kauai book when I first visited that island. It was when they were first coming out. However, now that I know the islands better, I think the books result in many special places getting spoiled from the amount of visitors that the books encourage. I can understand the locals not appreciating these places getting overrun with people, worse if some of the places are actually sacred.

In retrospect, I would rather have learned of these places slowly and from visiting the islands often and hearing about them from locals. It would not be as convenient for first time visitors, but it would diminish the hordes of people that tend to head straight for the "hidden gems". Only those that have taken the time to learn of the island would find out where these spots are, and would likely be a little more appreciative of what the spots mean to the local population. I don't like the growth in tourism myself, even though I am not local. I don't resent any one person, but it is sad to see how quickly the islands have been overrun with visitors that often have little regard for the place or the people that actually live there. The infrastructure is getting stretched, traffic is getting worse, etc. Unbridled tourism brings money, but it brings a lot of negatives too.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new (May 2019) Kauai Revealed is MUCH more nuanced than previous editions. He acknowledges that locals don't like tourists tramping through private property (even if there's a public right of way), ancient Hawaiian cultural sites, and some public areas that were previously hidden gems known only to island residents. His advice is to respect these places, and if locals ask you to leave - move on. There is a lot to see/do on the island. This is quite a change from the earlier guides.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem is that no matter how much the authors say to respect the place, once it is disclosed in a popular book, each place will be overrun by sometimes less than thoughtful tourists. Even if most tourists do show respect, there are enough that don't that can spoil the overall experience.