• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island or Kauai after Oahu/Honolulu? + Resort recommendations

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Will be in Oahu (staying at Marriott Ko'Olina) mid-May for a week and trying to decide which island to go to after Oahu for 4-5 days.

Looking for beaches, snorkeling, easy hiking, zip lines, ATV and a change from Oahu (which is part of the reason why I excluded Maui). It will just be me, husband and 2 adult children in early 20's.

Would appreciate feedback on which island you would suggest and timeshare recommendations.

As for the resort/lodging, beachfront property on a swimmable beach and onsite pools is a must for me. I am a Marriott and HGVC points owner so I can access the resorts within those systems as well as access to II, RCI and GPX exchanges.

Thanks in advance!

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Hello All,

Will be in Oahu (staying at Marriott Ko'Olina) mid-May for a week and trying to decide which island to go to after Oahu for 4-5 days.

Looking for beaches, snorkeling, easy hiking, zip lines, ATV and a change from Oahu (which is part of the reason why I excluded Maui). It will just be me, husband and 2 adult children in early 20's.

Would appreciate feedback on which island you would suggest and timeshare recommendations.

As for the resort/lodging, beachfront property on a swimmable beach and onsite pools is a must for me. I am a Marriott and HGVC points owner so I can access the resorts within those systems as well as access to II, RCI and GPX exchanges.

Thanks in advance!
Haven't been to Kauai. The BI covers what you are looking for with unique landscape features. We're currently on the BI and have an ongoing blog-like thread detailing several locations.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...commendation-experience-from-waikoloa.277618/

They also have the outdoor adventures you are looking for (ATV, zipline, etc.)

Edit: we stayed at The Bay Club (HGVC) Grand Villa our first week. Highly recommend! There's no beachfront swimming on the HGVC property, but a short walk and/or drive will get you to plenty of them.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
beachfront property on a swimmable beach
I'm not sure which Big Island timeshares meet this one. Kauai has a couple. Pono Kai has a swimmable beach, though the swimming pool is nothing at all to write home about. Kauai Beach Villas beach is not swimmable, but you are next door to a county (or maybe state) park. You have to cross some rocks/driftwood to get there water side, but as long as no one has mobility issues, it is doable. There are probably others on Kauai

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think the 4-5 days duration on the 2nd island is going to be the limiting factor in your resort choices. In general, exchanges are going to be for 7 nights. So first of all, I would look at what you can reserve for 4-5 days.

If it were me, I would visit the 2nd island for 7 nights, to have more resort choices, and because it's a long/expensive trip to Hawaii and extending the stay allows you to get more value out of the airfare (IMNSHO.)

trying to decide which island to go to after Oahu for 4-5 days...

I am a Marriott and HGVC points owner so I can access the resorts within those systems as well as access to II, RCI and GPX exchanges...

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the 4-5 days duration on the 2nd island is going to be the limiting factor in your resort choices. In general, exchanges are going to be for 7 nights. So first of all, I would look at what you can reserve for 4-5 days.

If it were me, I would visit the 2nd island for 7 nights, to have more resort choices, and because it's a long/expensive trip to Hawaii and extending the stay allows you to get more value out of the airfare (IMNSHO.)

Thanks, I have no issues foregoing the 2 nights or so with a 7 night exchange. Still cheaper than 2 hotel rooms for 4-5 nights and I have living room. I am ok with limited kitchen as well as long as I have a living room, balcony, fridge, sink and microwave since we wont be cooking much for this part of the trip.

Would love to stay the full week but going back to east coast I need a day or two to adjust before heading back to work on a Monday. Last time we went to Hawaii I was on a Saturday 2 pm nonstop flight, was home Sunday by 9 am and back to work 8:30 am Monday. that was brutal so I am hoping to give myself at least 1 full day at home before heading back to a full work week.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I agree that you need that down time before going back to work - one thing you can do is make your trip Friday to Friday.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I think that either Maui or the BI should more than meet your needs. On Maui there are several zipline providers. We prefer Piiholo Ranch. It has several courses. One is an 8 or 9 line through the tree tops. The zips are 400 to 800 feet I think. They have a 5 line that goes back and forth across a canyon. The shortest line is longer than the longest on the treetop course. The final zip is over 1/2 mile. You can drive (or arrange a tour) to the top of Haleakala for sunrise. You leave your Resort between 2:30am and 3:00am. It is pretty wonderful when the weather cooperates. You can also hike down into the Cauldera that is not a real Cauldera because Haleakala is a Shield Volcano. There many locations for snorkeling and there are many opportunities for Booking snorkeling trips ie Molokini or Lanai. Many swimming beaches.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I think that either Maui or the BI should more than meet your needs. On Maui there are several zipline providers. We prefer Piiholo Ranch. It has several courses. One is an 8 or 9 line through the tree tops. The zips are 400 to 800 feet I think. They have a 5 line that goes back and forth across a canyon. The shortest line is longer than the longest on the treetop course. The final zip is over 1/2 mile. You can drive (or arrange a tour) to the top of Haleakala for sunrise. You leave your Resort between 2:30am and 3:00am. It is pretty wonderful when the weather cooperates. You can also hike down into the Cauldera that is not a real Cauldera because Haleakala is a Shield Volcano. There many locations for snorkeling and there are many opportunities for Booking snorkeling trips ie Molokini or Lanai. Many swimming beaches.

OP excluded Maui as a choice.

IMO with a couple of adult children in their early 20's with them, I'd hit Maui instead of the Big Island or Kauai.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Waiohai on Kauai is our favorite Marriott Hawaii resort. Waiohai sits on Poipu beach which not only has great swimming but also good snorkeling. Lots of other wildlife too - we've seen Honu and just a few weeks ago had a Hawaiian Seal decide to leave the beach and enter the ocean around 15 feet from where we were swimming. The pools are nice though not as enormous as Maui Ocean Club...but a lot less crowded. Great hiking and there are zip lines and ATV stuff...but some of that is a bit of a drive.

Marriott's Waikoloa on the Big Island is the only timeshare at Waikoloa actually on a beach. I haven't stayed there but have stayed at the nearby Bay Club which is wonderful...except that the getting to the beach is a hassle and the pool is functional at best. There is hiking nearby but I honestly don't know how far it is to the nearest zip line and/or ATV site. And the best snorkeling is down by Kailua-Kona/Captain Cook.

That said...when you say mid-20s doing zip lines, ATVs, and other 'active' recreation I hear 'Maui'. We own at MOC and understand that active people in their 20s and 30s IS the island's target demographic. Even though you say you don't want to go there and I'm not one to steer people to Maui - it is our least favorite Hawaiian Island aside from Molokai - it might be what you are looking for (even though it is the most like Oahu).

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
*The OP has stated that they don't want to go to Maui.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My first trip to Hawaii was when I was 17, just graduated from high school. I went with my parents and younger sister. My first impressions at that age. Loved the Big Island, but all I saw was Hilo and the Mauna Kea resort (still my favorite beach ever). Thought Kauai was just too slow. Loved Maui (ended up buying there years later and returned for years), Oahu was lots of fun as a teen and young 20's (I went back later with a friend) but now that I'm older I don't care for it, or basically I don't care for Honolulu.

gwynhyvar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA (San Diego RARP)
Waikiki Beach Walk
Would love to stay the full week but going back to east coast I need a day or two to adjust before heading back to work on a Monday. Last time we went to Hawaii I was on a Saturday 2 pm nonstop flight, was home Sunday by 9 am and back to work 8:30 am Monday. that was brutal so I am hoping to give myself at least 1 full day at home before heading back to a full work week.

Oh, how I hear ya on this one. We left Oahu Friday at 2 pm local time (7 pm home time), flew to LAX and then on to our final airport. Arrived 6 am Saturday. I was a zombie the whole weekend, and had to be at work 8 am this morning. Ugh!

I'm kinda following this, as we're thinking of staying on the BI next trip!

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks All for the good info but now with so many suggesting Maui, maybe I'll go research some more :ponder:. Just when I thought I was close to narrowing down an island LOL! Now I feel like I'm back to square one LOL, but hey very lucky and blessed to have such a dilemma :) First time I'm actually taking 2 weeks in a row off from work in over 12+ years so super excited for this trip.

Please keep the suggestions and comments coming, much appreciated :wave:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks All for the good info but now with so many suggesting Maui, maybe I'll go research some more...
The stretch from upper Kaanapali down through Lahaini is the most densely crowded so you might want to avoid that if you are looking for a contrast to Oahu. Further north up toward Kapalua or down in Wailea-Makena might be a better choice.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
You can do those things on Oahu as well.
And the Marriott KoOlina resort has a great beach with several pools too. I would extend your stay there. It was nice and relaxing away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. Of course we went in early May.

34918937566_094ebf80d8.jpg

Checkout out the TripAdvisor reviews and photos under Outdoor Activities in Oahu

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can do those things on Oahu as well.
And the Marriott KoOlina resort has a great beach with several pools too. I would extend your stay there. It was nice and relaxing away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. Of course we went in early May.

34918937566_094ebf80d8.jpg

Checkout out the TripAdvisor reviews and photos under Outdoor Activities in Oahu
+1.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Seaport104, as you've probably figured out, everything all through this thread is a lot of ways to say there is no right answer to your question. :)

My suggestion would be to find the resort(s) you want to stay at, and work from there. All the activities you want to do are found on each of the islands. So just as there is no right answer, there also is no wrong answer. It's Hawaii, and it's all good.

Dave

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider for travel, break your return flight up. From DTW, we fly out on the Friday for a two-week Saturday-to-Saturday stay, and use reward points to book a couple of hotel rooms close to the airport. We are getting in late and exhausted, so it doesn't really matter where we stay on that first night. On the way back, we will take a mid-day Saturday flight to a West Coast city, and spend the night there. Then we continue on with a morning flight to Detroit on Sunday. This makes Monday almost tolerable.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
One thing to consider for travel, break your return flight up.
After 10+ years of taking the redeye nonstop flights from HNL into NY/NJ (leaving HNL Friday night, getting into NY/NJ Saturday morning and returning to work Monday) we’re breaking up the return flight. As we’re getting older (mid to late 50s), we’re finding the time zone change is getting harder.

This year we have a Westin Nanea exchange for Friday to Friday so we’re headed to SFO for a few nights before flying home (avoiding all redeye flights).

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
A lot of good advice. Here's mine:

Figure a way to spend a little more time in Hawaii.
  • Non-stop to Oahu
  • Plan the trip home with fairly equal legs....and a reasonable rest break at the first stop
  • Consider treating yourself (not necessarily everyone...) to a lie-flat seat on at least one leg going home--and SLEEP
  • Pick flights that favor YOUR schedule and return to work...and the not the gang's 'party time' clock
  • If you're going to cut something short....short Oahu--not the next island. You'll need the time

I think the best islands in the chain are Kauai and Maui. Why?
  • Jungles and desert. Same island. Volcanoes (different)
  • Amazing beaches...just like the postcards.
  • No so big you can't explore a little. Traffic is not a 'show stopper'
  • Lot's of great excursions and sailing and helo's and you know...
  • isolated, virtually private, 'planet earth' quality beaches.
  • Whales. (in season)
  • Super premium resorts
I think Hilo would be a mistake.
  • too big to enjoy for just a few days
  • National park is closed
  • I think the focus is more 'resort' oriented than island oriented (humble opinion)
I'd recommend Kauai and Waiohai.
  • Amazing beaches, private beaches
  • Jungle, desert (sorta), brewpubs, tours etc...
  • good food, good groceries go to brennekes
  • You can just stay at the resort area and have a fine time: walk the heritage trail to Mahuelepu
  • sunset cruise to Napali is an event for a lifetime
  • cons
  • some traffic...but not bad
  • some Northshore roads still closed, but you really don't have time for the whole island and the trail at Ke'e
  • A little busy in May, but nothing like whales/summer
I'd also recommend Maui....
  • It's not like Oahu
  • The beaches are amazing
  • The rural beaches (away from Lahaina/Ka'annapali) are unmatched
  • The resorts are tough to beat anywhere
  • (some cons)
  • A little more expensive than Kauai
  • more driving than K.
  • More people than K.
  • hard to appreciate in just a few days (Hana, Volcano)
  • a little busy in May...not too bad.

Really, you need 7 days to property do Maui and almost as much for Kauai...unless you stay on the south side

So, I'd say go to Kauai...stay at Waiohai and don't go to the North Shore on a short trip.
Enjoy Poipu--it's a great little beach
Walk the trail to the 'secret' beaches (ok, not secret, but quiet)
Consider a dinner sunset cruise to Napali or take a helo tour of Napali--Blue Hawaii on the ecostar. You won't be sorry and you get a dvd
Have a 'fun' night at Brennekes. Burgers and mai tais and lava flows.
Make sure you see the Monk seals and some turtles
Snorkle right in front of the resort on both sides
Go down to Waimea the 'Grand Canyon of the Pacific' and be amazed
Grab some Kauai Shrimp, some cookies, some beer in Port Allen, go home and have a picnic

So much to do and see.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Ok I will be honest why I recommended Maui or the BI not that these aren't great choices and we enjoy both of them. We are on Maui now for 2 weeks and our trip 18 months ago was to the BI for 2 weeks. I would like to cut down on people visiting Kauai. We love Kauai. But we don't want it to get over crowded.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The stretch from upper Kaanapali down through Lahaini is the most densely crowded so you might want to avoid that if you are looking for a contrast to Oahu. Further north up toward Kapalua or down in Wailea-Makena might be a better choice.

Kaanapali through Lahaina is probably the most developed area on Maui...but it is still a huge contrast to Oahu. Comparing Kaanapali/Lahaina to Oahu/Honolulu is like comparing Hilton Head to Long Island, NY. Both are reasonably developed beach areas, but Long Island is a city- Hilton Head is not. Same with Kaanapali/Lahaina vs Oahu.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kaanapali through Lahaina is probably the most developed area on Maui...but it is still a huge contrast to Oahu...
I should have been more specific - OP is going to Marriott's Ko Olina Resort and I find Ko Olina/Kapolei and Kaanapali/Lahaina to be quite similar (aside from the whole Front St/Banyan/Whaling history thang).

Honolulu is enormous and if find it comparable to the SF Bay Area...a city at the heart, sprawling suburbs, and wilderness if you know where to look.

As for Waikiki I've heard it described as NYC with a beach. As if that's a bad thing...or NYC doesn't have beaches and surfing...;-)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Honolulu is enormous and if find it comparable to the SF Bay Area...a city at the heart, sprawling suburbs, and wilderness if you know where to look.

As for Waikiki I've heard it described as NYC with a beach. As if that's a bad thing...or NYC doesn't have beaches and surfing...;-)

But Oahu is SO much more than either Honolulu or Waikiki. With even a little bit of research, it’s easy to find a lot of the uncrowded areas on the island, outside the city, but still just minutes from things. You just have to make the effort. People tend to dislike Oahu, but when you try, it can be a great place to stay. Maui is a lot more crowded.

Dave

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I definitely agree with Dave above! We have been to Oahu many times, always to visit our son who was stationed at the Kaneohe Marine Air Station and who lived in Kailua. We loved visiting Waikiki, but they were just day trips or one nighters (at Hale Koa or the HHV.). Oahu is much more than Honolulu. A fabulous island.