• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island Ocean Tower is in the Reservation System

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Tower is shown under BI resorts but reservations cannot be made online, probably since it is still under construction. I am hoping it will be available for online booking once the construction is complete.

upload_2018-3-5_21-49-8.png

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
Some nice pictures but they don't have the points chart up yet.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Any word on occupancy dates?

I'm staying at KL for four nights at the end of September. I wouldn't mind changing to this if it's available by then.

David M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Kings' Land

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I called to see about a reservation and the agent said they don’t have dates released yet.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
During the most recent Investor conference call they mentioned the project had some early delays and they pushed the occupancy date out into 2019. So i think it had originally been planned for late 2018.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
During the most recent Investor conference call they mentioned the project had some early delays and they pushed the occupancy date out into 2019. So i think it had originally been planned for late 2018.

lol, the contractors are on “Hawaii time”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jeepinjoel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings' Land, a Hilton Grand Vacation Club
The Bay Club at Waikoloa
In 2015 we stayed in Ocean Tower... we specifically went to Hawaii for a tour of Kings Land.
Ocean Tower was such a horrible accommodation I'm still surprised we actually bought into HGVC on that vacation. We were in the furthest "ring" from the water, the room was dark and dingy. the last two or three nights we paid to upgrade into a newer tower, right above the dolphin quest. This was probably what salvaged what otherwise would have been a mediocre vacation.
I understand the rooms for HGVC will be MUCH nicer and remodeled... but I still can't get those images of my first experience out of my mind.
thanks for allowing me to vent.
Oh! Kings Land this August, 10 nights! Can't wait!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
In 2015 we stayed in Ocean Tower... we specifically went to Hawaii for a tour of Kings Land.
Ocean Tower was such a horrible accommodation I'm still surprised we actually bought into HGVC on that vacation. We were in the furthest "ring" from the water, the room was dark and dingy. the last two or three nights we paid to upgrade into a newer tower, right above the dolphin quest. This was probably what salvaged what otherwise would have been a mediocre vacation.
I understand the rooms for HGVC will be MUCH nicer and remodeled... but I still can't get those images of my first experience out of my mind.

My guess is the low points units will be in that far ring and not very appealing even if they are nice inside.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
My guess is the low points units will be in that far ring and not very appealing even if they are nice inside.

And for the appealing developer price of $40 to $100k...

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
I agree....the Ocean Tower was probably the least desirable of the Towers for guest to stay in and I do not think we would book it as it is quite a ways from everything and views are going to be very very limited!!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It looks like Ocean Tower would offer some nice views (see below).

HH_resortaerialvw01_1270x560_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center-1024x451.jpg

Here are photos we took of the Ocean Tower while we we're walking around HWV in 2013 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/albums/72157634832722932

Photos of the Ocean Tower views courtesy of TripAdvisor

5th floor Ocean Tower
hilton-waikoloa-village.jpg

Room 5072 on the 5th floor of the OceanTower

7th floor of the Ocean Tower Partial Ocean View (looking away from the ocean)
view-from-our-partial.jpg

7th floor of the Ocean Tower Partial Ocean View (looking towards the ocean)
view-from-our-partial.jpg

Sunset view from Ocean Tower ocean front room
sunset-view-from-ocean.jpg

Other views

our-ocean-view-from-ocean.jpg

view-from-my-suite-ocean.jpg

view-from-balcony-of.jpg

filename-img-20120525.jpg

Last edited:

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
the last two or three nights we paid to upgrade into a newer tower, right above the dolphin quest.

All buildings were built at the same time, when the resort was built as a Hyatt. There isn't a 'newer tower'. Perhaps the Lagoon Tower was more recently renovated than the Ocean Tower or the Palace Tower. There are time-lapse photos of the construction on the walkway between the Ocean Tower and the lobby.

jeepinjoel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings' Land, a Hilton Grand Vacation Club
The Bay Club at Waikoloa
All buildings were built at the same time, when the resort was built as a Hyatt. There isn't a 'newer tower'. Perhaps the Lagoon Tower was more recently renovated than the Ocean Tower or the Palace Tower. There are time-lapse photos of the construction on the walkway between the Ocean Tower and the lobby.
hmmm.. thanks for the correction. here's my revision: "the last two or three nights we paid to upgrade into a better tower that didn't suck the life out of us... right above the dolphin quest. SO much better than the dreary, outdated Ocean Tower."

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yeah, Hilton renovated the Hilton Waikoloa Village Lagoon Tower in 2012 and the Palace Tower in 2016.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stayed in the Ocean tower many years ago. I found the ocean views to be very nice. I like the fact that you are looking at the ocean with minimal other buildings in the view. I think the other towers at the hotel you have a good chance of either looking over the top of something, or having other resort buildings in your peripheral view.

The distance from the lobby is a concern. I remember starting to hate the long walk or wait for the tram or boat to get back and forth.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 we also stayed there many years ago as a hotel. Perhaps because one can now cook/eat in the unit one would not need to go to the front area as often? There might be some units that have close access to the pool and Waikaloa lagoon area so maybe less need to go to the front.

I seem to recall that the lanais only are large enough to allow two chairs and a small side table. If that is still the case. I would much rather pay the extra points to have a unit where we can dine outside with a full table. One of the things I most enjoy about Lagoon Tower is living on the decks and enjoying all meals outside. The size of the decks and winds at Waikablowa make this more difficult.

Do the new Towers have barbeque areas? If so, that would be nice.

Last edited:

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
870 SF for a 2BR, tiny.
I don’t know, that’s only 90 SF smaller than my first house! Lol! I guess it’s all perspective.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
+1 we also stayed there many years ago as a hotel. Perhaps because one can now cook/eat in the unit one would not need to go to the front area as often? There might be some units that have close access to the pool and Waikaloa lagoon area so maybe less need to go to the front.

I seem to recall that the lanais only are large enough to allow two chairs and a small side table. If that is still the case. I would much rather pay the extra points to have a unit where we can dine outside with a full table. One of the things I most enjoy about Lagoon Tower is living on the decks and enjoying all meals outside. The size of the decks and winds at Waikablowa make this more difficult.

Do the new Towers have barbeque areas? If so, that would be nice.

This brings up the main issue for me, how far is it to the parking area to schlep the luggage and groceries?

I’ll stick with Kings Land, parking right outside the units.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This brings up the main issue for me, how far is it to the parking area to schlep the luggage and groceries?

I’ll stick with Kings Land, parking right outside the units.

Its a long walk, even farther if you count from self parking not just the lobby.

Not sure if you could add any sort of direct access, if not most will probably use the bell service for bags and supplies.

Eating in the unit would save steps, but for us we tend to go out to eat most nights. Plus there are so many things to go an do on the Big Island, you are going to be going back and forth quite a bit.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Walking will be a problem for many. I am a walker and strole between 11 and 12 miles a day average about 3 to 4 mph. From the lobby to Ocean Tower on 5 walks I averaged 14 to 17 minutes. I always beat the boat and either tied or beat the train. To th parking lot I added 7 to 10 minutes depending on space parked. On the date I toured the salesperson was visibly winded.

Harry

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I've stayed in the Ocean Tower several times and parked in self-parking. I like the walk. It's like walking through a museum with all the statues and other art work.