• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Bear Lake - Lagonita Lodge

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We will be meeting up with several family members the week of June 16th in Big Bear. We will be staying at Lagonita Lodge, www.lagonitalodge.com , while other family members will be staying at various other locations.

Any advice for the area? On our drive in we will have a stop over in Valencia and the kids will spend a couple hours in Magic Mountain before completing our drive up there. I am thinking another 3 hours from that point.

Should we grocery shop somewhere between Valencia and Big Bear? Is there a Costco somewhere in route? At some point during the week there could be as many as 18 of us. Family is coming and going all through the week.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a Vons (Safeway) and Stater Bros, 2 of the 4 major chains in Southern California, across the street from each other.

Additionally there is a K-Mart

For Costco you would need to stop before you climb the 5,000 feet

San Bernardino, Redlands, Highland

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking more than a couple of hours at Magic Mountain - roller coaster rides take up a lot of room and there are a lot of roller coasters. Additionally, the more popular ones frequently have relatively long waits AND summer vacation will be well underway! If I recall correctly, it was about an hour and a half to the bottom of the mountain (there is a secret path) and the drive up the mountain takes a while since there are frequently campers, RVs and trailers (plus plain, cautious drivers) on this WINDY, CURVY, MOUNTAIN road. I particularly like the fact that there is a boat dock right on the property (with rentals) - the indoor pool is nice (but pathetically small). They had a BBQ food sale (hot dogs, hamburgers) one day. Additionally, NO air conditioning in the units but (fans) there is frequently a nice breeze - especially in mid June. We were subjected to racoons on our balcony one night. I am sure you have checked out TripAdvisor but, we did go to the rescue zoo. The animals were interesting but we went mainly to support their work.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Theresa, so good to see you on TUG again!! I don't have any info for you on this topic, but just wanted to say hi and your pictures are amazing! You look mah-velous!:hi:

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone and thank you for the compliments Karen I feel GREAT !

I know Magic Mountain will be packed but since we are staying at a motel from Thursday to Friday very close by and the check in at Big Bear isn't until 5pm I thought we could drop off the kids, if I can call them that anymore at 21, 20 & 15, at 10:30AM when the park opened at let them have at it until 2:30 and then start to make our way up to Big Bear from there.

The curvy road doesn't bother me. I grew up in a mountainy area so I am use to it. Besides after next week when I am driving my school bus to China Town, SF and then again back to SF to the Steinhart Aquarium this will be a walk in the park! ;)

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We will be meeting up with several family members the week of June 16th in Big Bear. We will be staying at Lagonita Lodge, www.lagonitalodge.com , while other family members will be staying at various other locations.

Any advice for the area? On our drive in we will have a stop over in Valencia and the kids will spend a couple hours in Magic Mountain before completing our drive up there. I am thinking another 3 hours from that point.

Should we grocery shop somewhere between Valencia and Big Bear? Is there a Costco somewhere in route? At some point during the week there could be as many as 18 of us. Family is coming and going all through the week.

There is a Costco in Santa Clarita (Valencia is part of Santa Clarita), probably about a 15 min drive from Magic Mountain. That would be your best bet since you are stopping in town anyway. If you are in town Sunday, there is a Farmers Market from 8:30-1pm at College of the Canyons. Albertsons is very close to Magic Mountain (on The Old Road) and their sale items are frequently competitively priced with Costco.

Not sure how you're planning to drive from Santa Clarita to Big Bear. Angeles Crest highway can be accessed from the 14 in Acton I think and is a slower but nicer drive than going down through the San Gabriel Valley and then the Inland Empire.

H

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since we last went but, the Saugus Cafe is just south of Magic Mountain Parkway (as you head east). It enjoys a pretty good reputation. We make it a habit to stop in for at least one meal every trip (breakfast is my favorite). Of course, there are the usual restaurant chains along the parkway as soon as you make the turn out of the park and all along the north side of the MM Parkway (once you cross under the overpass). BTW, if you are not interested in going to Magic Mountain, you can drop your kids off at the ticket office and just have them call you when they are ready (don't have to pay the parking fee).

Last edited: