TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Best timeshares on big island?

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by Ryes, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Ryes

Ryes Guest

HI there, I will be going to the big island in Hawaii around mid october and am wondering which timeshares I should be looking into to try to find a rental... My dates are very specific (oct 12-19) so it means I have to be more open for which timeshares in order to find something, but I really don't want to stay in somewhere not nice.

I love the marriotts and westins so hoping for something of similar quality. I looked on redweek and at the moment there are zero places available for those dates. Anyway, any assistance on which are the better time shares on the big island would be appreciated. I am not fussy on which part of the big island since we have to fly into hilo for a certain reason, and we have to fly out of kona when leaving.

2. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

The Waikoloa timeshares (3 by HGVC and one by Marriott) are probably the nicest. We stayed at Kings' Land earlier this year and thought it was Marriott/Westin quality or better.

GregT likes this.
  3. ared505

ared505 Guest

The Bay Club is under the umbrella of the HGVC and closer to the big hotel, King's Court, Queens Marketplace, and A' beach. Several years ago we toured the Paniolo Greens, which is on a golf course but--importantly--7 miles inland.

4. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    I'm sure the reason you're asking is because your dates are Ironman Week on the Big Island. At this late date, I'd suggest you take anything you can get.

Dave

daventrina likes this.
  5. 1Kflyerguy

1Kflyerguy TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Kings Land, Marriott Destination Club Points
    We really like the Waikaloa Beach Resort area. Our favorite location is Kings Land by HGV, I think its most resort like, with an amazing pool and nice pool bar. Kohala Suites and Bay Club by HGV are also nice. Bay Club seems boring compared to Kings Land to me, but many people really like Bay Club for its large units.

We toured the Marriott time share right after it opened. The rooms are nice, but converted from a hotel and don't have kitchens.

I think there a number of timeshares in Kona area, but those are older and smaller from what i have seen.

If not fixed on a Timeshare, there are quite a few condos in the Waikaloa Beach resort and many owners rent those via the standard rental sites.

6. talkamotta

talkamotta TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I like wyndham kona the best. The iron man will go right past that resort. But you should take anything you can get.

1Kflyerguy likes this.
  7. jlp879

jlp879 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

There are quite a few older and smaller timeshares in the Kona area. What I like about about them is that most are walking distance to town and small coves or beaches. They feel like small communities and are cozy and quaint.

All the Waikoloa timeshares are much newer with all the bells and whistles but I wouldn't discount the Kona area timeshares, especially for convenience and ease of travel.

8. triangulum33

triangulum33 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    2005 WKORN
    I agree with this. Waikoloa is the mega resort area, Kona and south to Captain Cook area are small interesting towns with coffee, nut and fruit farms, and great views of the ocean.

One obvious, but often underestimated characteristic of the Big Island is its size. Two points that look relatively close together on the map can take longer than expected to travel. Waikoloa for example is 45min to Kona and about 2hrs to Volcanoes National Park.

daventrina and Fredflintstone like this.
  9. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Add traffic, darkness, or poor weather, and the travel times go up. During the Ironman competition, all bets are off. If OP wants a perfect place to stay, that's fine, and at probably any other time of year it would be an option. But to ask in March for an event happening in October, it's going to be a challenge to even have a choice of where to stay. The smart money is to take what you can get, and plan for a future trip in a great location at a less crazy time of year.

Dave

10. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Is it hard to exchange into Hawaii the last week in June and the first two (2) weeks in July ?

11. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Far enough ahead of time, I'd say probably not. Depending on where you want to stay, you'd just need to get in line at the right time.

Dave

12. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    There are other challenging drives on the islands. Try Kaanapali to Hana on Maui, or Ko Olina to Hanauma Bay during rush hour on Oahu.

Since they finished the Saddle road I avoid the southern route past Kona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

daventrina likes this.
  13. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

The biggest reason to take the southern route is so you can stop at the bakery.

taterhed, daventrina and DaveNW like this.
  14. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Punalu'u Bakery in Na'alehu is a great reason to take that road. :)

Dave

talkamotta, daventrina and Luanne like this.
  15. Hawaiibarb

Hawaiibarb TUG Member

I usually stay in Kona when I go to the Big Island......not as nice as Waikaloa, but more convenient. The two places I have have enjoyed are Wyndham Hawaiian Village and Royal Sea Cliff, both on Alii Drive, both very comfortable and well-maintained.

daventrina likes this.
  16. bevans

bevans TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
    This is a little about the Punalu'u Bakery which is a must stop for us whenever we visit the Big Island.

17. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I always say it's hard to compare Kona and Waikoloa. One is a funky little town with lots of restaurant choices, the other is a resort with limited restaurants, unless you want to eat at the generally overpriced hotel restaurants.

That said we always felt a perfect trip to the Big Island was one week in Kona, one in Waikoloa, and a few nights in Volcano Village at the Kilauea Lodge.

taffy19 and slip like this.
  18. bevans

bevans TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
    Luanne, i could not agree with you more as we have done your itinerary more than once and the Kilauea lodge european style menu is unique and my favorite restaurant on the Big Island.

taffy19 and Luanne like this.
  19. DianeG

DianeG TUG Member

For Ironman week, you are by now way too late for anything on the west side of the Island... it’s booked even more solid than Christmas week. You should reserve something other than a timeshare immediately, as a back-up, if your dates are set and you do not want to ultimately camp in your car.
    Even rental cars would be in short supply by now, if you don’t already have one booked. However, a car pick-up at Hilo airport may still be able to be reserved - I’d lock in my car rental now too (look at Costco and at DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com)

daventrina likes this.
  20. BJRSanDiego

BJRSanDiego TUG Member

One year we reserved a week at Kona Coast 2. We wanted to go to the Volcano park and tried to book a hotel room in Hilo. It turns out the it was the week of the Merry Monarch Hula contest. Just about everything in the area was booked. We did find a place but the whole area was kind of a "zoo". People all over, difficulty parking, had to make res's for any restaurants, etc.

So, my advice to the OP is to try to nail something down. Many hotels have a no-penalty cancellation. So, once you get this back-up plan in place you can continue to search for the "BEST". But perhaps the BEST is the place that has vacancies (humor).:)

21. daventrina

daventrina TUG Member

Like you said ... IF there is a car available to sleep in ....
    We landes ae day morning once .. and is was actually nice to go to Ironman at least once...

22. mentalbreak

mentalbreak TUG Member

Yikes! I am so glad I read this. We have a HGCV Kings’ Land exchange for these dates and had no idea it was Ironman. Thanks for the heads up.

DianeG and 1Kflyerguy like this.
  23. daventrina

daventrina TUG Member

Kona Reef
    Sea Village
    Kona Coast Resort

24. Rjbeach2003

Rjbeach2003 TUG Member

We've stayed at Kona Coast and Holua Loa, as both are Shell Vacations of which we are members. Haven't stayed at Paniol'o Greens in Waikolo'a Village yet, the third Shell property, but probably will on next trip to Big Island. I prefer being on the South Kohala Coast, so if you could get a TS there I'd grab it. We have rented houses twice in Mauna Lani for 8 or more, and it's our preferred location.

When we are at KCR at the south end of Kailua-Kona, we end up driving north for the snorkeling, beaches and scenery. We do spend a little time in Kailua-Kona, but only a little. too tee shirt shoppy, if that's a word.

25. CanuckTravlr

CanuckTravlr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Ocean 22
    Lots of good advice, but not a peep from the OP. Oh well! :shrug:

daventrina likes this.