• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Timeshares for Skiing Alps

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Would love your recommendations. There is a 2009 thread but since almost a decade has passed so thought that I would seek an update.

This is on my DH's bucket list so thought I would schedule a trip for his birthday. We would like to travel in early December, January, or early Mar so need good snow coverage on slopes.

Must be clean. We like Hilton or Starwood quality but if in a fantastic location close to slopes, town for restaurants, and in good repair, then fine. We have traveled Alps many times and are familiar with typical accommodations.

Would prefer ski-in/ski-out but shuttle okay. We will also rent a car so could use that. We would like proximity to a larger more challenging ski area. We were advanced skiers when we were younger, but mainly ski intermediate / low advanced now. Would like to be in a town setting or with shuttle for restaurants and culture.

Non-mandatory all inclusive preferred so we can appreciate local fare and culture.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly uncertain that what you seek even exists. There are darn few timeshares in Europe to begin with, even fewer in resort areas, even fewer of Hilton/Starwood quality, and 'in town-ski-in/ski-out' seems an oxymoron. You might have a better chance looking at more traditional hotel experiences in the French/German/Swiss/Italian towns that interest you. Incidentally, We were in Bavaria last July and I was accepted to the ski patrol in Garmisch-Partenkirchen Germany some years ago.

Good Luck!

Jim

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Congrats @Passepartout. You must be a very good skier to make ski patrol.

We found a few potential Timeshares on RCI and a few on II and they even have some availability. Certainly not Hilton/Starwood but seem decent and typical of Tyrolean/Swiss acommodations (sparse but VERY clean). Some have indoor pools and close to thermal baths which would be nice on sore ski muscles. Some have mandatory AI which is not of interest.

However hard to tell from reviews and descriptions about access to ski and local fare so would love some Tugger perspectives.

Aside from timeshares what areas would you recommend? I skied Verbier and Solden, Austria 30+ years ago when I flew monthly to Germany and Geneva for work. These areas were nice but I am not familiar with other areas. In addition my local hosts drove me to these locations and made reservations, so I have no memory of where I stayed. My DH loves to ski but has never skied the alps; I want to surprise him with a trip for his birthday.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats @Passepartout. You must be a very good skier to make ski patrol.
Thanks! Raised in Idaho, I started early (about 4) but unfortunately skiing is a 'use it or lose it' skill, and there has been a lot of water under the bridge since those days. It was sort of a natural as I carried a Red Cross certificate too.

Just a thought here: spend a little time at someplace like Barnes & Noble leafing through skiing magazines paying particular attention to the lodging and travel ads. You might pick up a hint or two. Your 30 year-old experience may well be more current than mine.

Jim

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
Look in to CLC Alpine Centre in Austria, they have a shuttle to Zell am See. It’s driving distance to Maria Alm. I’d put the quality as a high end Windham. It trades thru II.

Jeff C