TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Best rci points for the buck

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares' started by tdfam, Aug 26, 2017.

1. chemteach

chemteach TUG Member

I can't wait to start using mine! Just sent the RCI documents in, waiting to get my points account up and running!

2. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    When I bought our first Grandview week a few years ago I watched the eBay listings for months before I bought. For a 98,000 point week I paid a little less than one third of what the 122,000 point weeks were regularly selling for. When I ran the numbers it would take about 9.4 years to break even on the higher cost to get those extra 24,000 annual points. Five years or less to break even I would have considered acceptable. However I should add that if we were 10-15 years younger I would have paid more to get the 122,000 point week. The 98,000 point week I bought was 4th of July week which should be helpful when the time comes that I want to get rid of the week.

3. needgeech

needgeech Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Summit 4BR, Grandview and Woodstone points
    Keep an eye out for Woodstone Points. They are rare at this point, but are not on everybody's radar and alert list like "Grandview 122k points" are. In fact many people still have the "Don't look at Woodstone" effect since they converted to points and killed off great PFD's. We grabbed a Fixed week 26 4BR converted to 137k RCI points biennial, which equates to 68.5K yearly for $440 annual MF. Bought it for "$400" after subtracting free usage + RCI membership. Long term this works out better for us than 122k or 137k points annually. We can always borrow from next years points for a big trip, but honestly most of our vacations are last minute, and down at the beach for 6500-7500 points or so. I like gambling for the deal! When we tried to plan out an Orlando trip in advance, it was cheaper to buy a rental off ebay at the same place with cash than with full points + transaction fee (i.e. silver lake 154,000 points + $239 vs. same for $1000 cash). Of course that situatuion is due to the gluttony that is Disney/Orlando.

Eric B likes this.
  4. SharonM

SharonM Guest

Grandview is in the Vacation Village group. They all have pretty good points value for the MF you pay. I got 92,500 points for $150 with an extra 92,500 in the bank. The MF was $880. That was two years ago and the MF has gone up to $1,000 in two years which is a pretty big increase.

5. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

Many years ago when I wanted to get into RCI Points I found a resort, Peregrine (near Galveston, TX) that gave me a Points Week for like $100 just to cover their expenses. I think they just wanted someone to pay the MFs. I suspect you can find a Resort today to do the same thing just by calling around.

George

6. chemteach

chemteach TUG Member

Are you sure this is Grandview? Grandview fees are $804. Presidential Villas at Plantation Resorts is $880 for the year.

Jan M. likes this.
  7. iwanttoflyaway

iwanttoflyaway TUG Member

I'm pretty sure 92.5k means it's the one in Orlando - Parkway, maybe? But I think the basic point was that many of the VV properties for a pretty sweet points valuation.

8. icydog

icydog TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I am confused by your analogy. I get 122,000 RCI points with my Grandview Las Vegas. It cost me $845 a year in total for MFs and taxes. If I don't use the full 122,000 points I don't pay exchange fees on them. They simply fall off.

You pay the same MFs money as I, and get less than 1/2 of my points. How is this a better deal?

You pay a Penny and a 1/3 (.013) per point. I pay 1/6 of penny per point (.006). Granted that both contracts are really bargains. I am sure we are both able to get a great use of our RCI points.

I am also RCI Platinum. I like having the ability to bank my points to the next use year using my Platinum membership.

I also like that I can get a free Vacation Village week every year for free, although I have never actually done that.

hyperjewl likes this.
  9. JohnPaul

JohnPaul TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
    Two other options. Oakmont in Pigeon Forge, TN I get 48,000 RCI Points and pay $410 in MF. Sedona Pines in Arizona. I have two weeks. One gives 52,500 points and the other 44,000. MF on each week is $523.

I'm pretty sure Oakmont has HOA owned weeks for sale cheap.

MelissaI likes this.
  10. JeffDH

JeffDH TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Monarch Grand Vacations
    Pardon my hijacking this thread, but how is it that identical underlying weeks get assigned differing points values at resorts like Grandview? Or aren't the underlying weeks identical?

11. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    Either the underlying week or the size is different. Grandview is a fixed week resort. The points are based on the week and the unit type 1BR or 2 BR. They also were sold as annual, Biennial, and Every third year.

12. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

If serious, call them. If the price is right, this could be a cheap way to get into RCI Points. As I posted earlier this is what I did with Peregrine many years ago. It cost me next to nothing.

George

13. MelissaI

MelissaI TUG Member

I just purchased a unit in RCI points at Oakmont. Not all of the units there are in RCI points. There are fixed weeks, flex weeks, and then fixed weeks that are in RCI points. So, you need to make sure the HOA units for sale are in RCI points. I picked mine up on Sumday Vacations for $49 all in, with use of the 2018 points.

14. JohnPaul

JohnPaul TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
    I'm not 100% sure how that worked but I think it's probably seasonality.

15. hyperjewl

hyperjewl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Summit at Massanutten
    When you bought your Woodstone points, were they always points or did you convert them from weeks? Also, can you tell me how many different exchanges that allows you to get with that point value? We own 4BR LO with Summit, floating weeks, worth 24 tpu per week (48 per year). It's hard for me to justify the extra cost of adding points or converting to points without knowing if I can work the RCI points the same was as I can the trading power. We tend to only exchange into 2-3 bedroom units. I'm always trying to find out more from current owners so that if we decide to add/convert, we can make the best choices.

16. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Massanutten, Wyndham Bali Hai, Vidanta Estates, Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Bought it as points. I don’t think Summit is a Points Resort at Massanutten, so you wouldn’t be able to convert. I generally have a hard time using up the points I get from the Woodstone unit because I have other TS weeks to use as well. I do get 3-4 weeks out of them in 2 BR places.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    hyperjewl likes this.
  17. hyperjewl

hyperjewl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Summit at Massanutten
    We wouldn't be able to convert. The question would be if we were to buy a different points resort (ideally at low maintenance fees), have RCI Weeks, then be able to roll the summit into points through RCI for $49/week, if we saw the value in the points. So far, I haven't really been able to see the value add in the points for us to justify spending the extra upfront cost or the extra yearly maintenance fee. If I saw the benefits, either through greater availability, or other benefits, I would consider it.

18. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ahhh; I think it would get you something like 60,000 points per 2 BR week as points for deposit (PFD). In my opinion, the only thing you really gain that way is the ability to use the Summit week to book RCI Points resorts that aren’t in weeks or for stay lengths different than a week. I have a couple of TS that I could use for PFD, but haven’t in years because I’d just as soon deposit with SFX or other non-RCI exchanges or use via Wyndham as PIC weeks.

19. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    how much did they charge you to convert?

20. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    My mistake; meant to say I bought as points. That was before I found TUG, of course.... Fixed in the original post.