• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best pool/activities Orlando

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which timeshare would offer the best pool and activities for a family with teenagers? Playgrounds/splash areas are no longer of interest, but (larger) slides, lazy river, or cool features would be great.

I would prefer to be close to WDW and/or International Drive. A shuttle to the parks would be great (not crazy about driving) but is probably unlikely.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Sheraton Vistana Villages located on International Drive last year and loved it there. They have one of the largest pool's I've ever seen in Orlando and we've stayed at many resorts in the Orlando area. There were many activities but no lazy river. Check it out here: sheratonvistanavillages.com

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I would second the recommendation for Vistana. Wyndham Bonnet Creek would be another one to consider. But if you are just looking at the HGVC properties, they all have similar / almost identical activities schedules. The "dive-in movie" will be a hit for teenagers. The only location that has a water slide is Parc Soleil; none have lazy rivers.

ETA: I thought I was in the HGVC forum, so sorry about that assumption!

Kurt

Last edited:

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations so far. We have actually stayed at both Vistana Villages and Wyndham Bonnet Creek before and did like them. Neither one is available in RCI at the moment though and I am kind of wanting to see something new anyway (just for variety). I did enjoy the location on International Drive a lot for Vistana Villages.

There are several HGVC properties available - they do look nice but I don't like the new fee that they charge. Orange Lakes seems to have nice pools as well?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are several HGVC properties available - they do look nice but I don't like the new fee that they charge.
Yes, with RCI you would now have to pay the resort fee, which I think is highway robbery! Can't recommend them if going through RCI.

I have stayed at Orange Lakes before, and I thought it was a fine resort.

Kurt

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, with RCI you would now have to pay the resort fee, which I think is highway robbery! Can't recommend them if going through RCI.

I have stayed at Orange Lakes before, and I thought it was a fine resort.

Kurt

The HGVC properties are tempting (and I like the location near Seaworld/I-Drive of some of them) but the fee really does bother me on principle. I probably won't choose one of them unless I wait so long that nothing else is available.

There is still the Sheraton Vistana Resort and of course Orange Lakes. The pool area there does look nice and the necessary TPU in RCI are very low. I have read complaints about the extra cost for tubes etc. but somehow that doesn't bother me as much as the general HGVC fee (probably because you don't have to pay unless you want to use the specific amenity). I am not crazy about having to drive though...

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
Sheraton Vistana Resort was very popular with my kids during their teen years. With 7 pools, there is something for every crowd. The Spas Super Pool is popular with teens because it has no shallow end (no ankle biters), and a volleyball net mid-pool with always active pick-up games; on the South side of the resort, this is the place to see and be seen for the teen and YA set. The Cascades pool with its waterfall was also pretty popular with my kids. The North half of the resort only has 2 pools, but they are large and have enough separation of areas that teens can find a "zone" for themselves; mostly around the beach volleyball court and basketball courts IMO. No big slides (this year) or lazy river but the resort regularly brings in seasonal attractions that have included a giant inflatable water slide and a spinning inflatable balloon ride (hard to describe that one). This year was the first year in a while that they did not have one of these temporary attractions on-site, but they certainly do it often. I think the best thing about the resort is that there is certainly an area for every type of guest; not having a good time at pool A? Just move along to pool area B - one of them is bound to click.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about the Marriotts? Which of these are best for older kids/have the nicest pool? I think some of the resorts can use pools associated with Marriott hotels - is that correct?

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriotts that have access to the Marriott World Centre pool complex are Imperial Palms, Sabal Palms and Royal Palms. They should be old enough that they are dual affiliated with II and RCI. The newer Orlando Marriotts only trade with II.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriotts that have access to the Marriott World Centre pool complex are Imperial Palms, Sabal Palms and Royal Palms. They should be old enough that they are dual affiliated with II and RCI. The newer Orlando Marriotts only trade with II.

Thanks! Would you recommend these resorts as far as pool/activities are concernde?

How about Lakeshore Reserve? It seems pretty nice... It doesn't absolutely matter if it trades with II or RCI (though I would prefer the later). I could join II if there are getaways available (I am a bit leery though as I am not sure what the availabilty for customers in Europe is) or possibly rent a week/book directly if it turns out to be the perfect resort for us.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lakeshore Reserve is (IMO) the nicest Marriott in Orlando. But it doesn't serve the teenage market as well as some of the others do. You're better off at another property. Yes, they have a slide and a lazy river, but neither one is up to teenage standards.

The Marriott World Center added a large water slide tower last year. I haven't stayed there since they added it. But having that and the location of the 3 Marriott timeshares that share this location make this a contender for you and your family.

I'd also add in the Sheraton Vistana Resort since it is right next door to this Marriott property. Both are very close to the whole WDW complex. Take a look at them on Googlemaps. Very close to the Downtown Disney area. I'm not sure they have shuttles, but Uber/Lyft would be easy to access from these locations.

Most timeshare pool slides serve the little kid market. This Marriott World Center addition appeals to thrill seekers. The speed slide is 90 ft long and the winding slide is 200 ft.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 1.38.12 AM.png

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Janice, this is very helpful. Too bad about Lakeshore Reserve, I really liked the look of it (probably because I am not a teenager).

We will likely stay a week on Disney property (still waiting on the discounts to come out though) and will do most of the park stuff then. We are looking at one or two additional weeks in the area. One we would probably do WDW on three days or so. The rest of the time would mostly be shopping/pool/smaller attractions etc. If necessary I will rent a car but I would rather save the money and the stress (I do not drive at home so am rather out of practice).

The new slides look cool and my older son might like them. Younger son isn't crazy about wild rides (though he is starting to like them more). He is more the lazy river kind...

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The World Center hands down because of the huge size and proximity to Disney. Sabal Palms is the most ideal for walking to the World Center but a shuttle will go to and from the others as well.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have Cypress Harbour on hold right now but will probably release it as the room setup doesn't work so good for us (just one bed in the second bedroom).

So I think I have it more or less narrowed down to the following resorts (not all of which are available right now or likely to be available):

DVC
Sabal Palms
Orange Lake
Sheraton Vistana Resort
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Lakeshore Reserve

Am I missing something? Any additional resorts I missed?

We will spend a week or so at a Disney hotel and I am still waiting for the August discounts to come out (hopefully). Depending on what timeframe they cover we will have to adjust our dates. So I still have a couple of days before I have to make a decision.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
The HGVC properties are tempting (and I like the location near Seaworld/I-Drive of some of them) but the fee really does bother me on principle. I probably won't choose one of them unless I wait so long that nothing else is available.

I exchanged into SeaWorld HGVC with RCI before the start of the year. I understand the fees went into effect 1/1/18. I hope I don't get charged for it.

Joe

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I exchanged into SeaWorld HGVC with RCI before the start of the year. I understand the fees went into effect 1/1/18. I hope I don't get charged for it.
You shouldn't, but keep proof of when your RCI trade was confirmed in case they try and charge you the fees.

Kurt