• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Points resorts

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
What do you feel is the best "points" timeshare? Also, is switching to RCI points a good thing and how does it work? Couldn't find how RCI points works.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I like Vistana if you buy a mandatory resort or the Marriott Vacation Club for a pure points program. I do not like the resorts available through RCI. Interval is much better.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like Vistana if you buy a mandatory resort or the Marriott Vacation Club for a pure points program. I do not like the resorts available through RCI. Interval is much better.

Is Vistana points and Marriott points inter changeable?

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So Vistana still trades with all the Starwood resorts, correct?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Starwood sold out to ILG a couple of years ago - now the system has been re-named Vistana Signature Experiences. Only some of the timeshares have Staroptions (Vistana Timeshare points) when purchased on the resale market.

Vistana FAQ: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-to-timesharing-or-starwood-start-here.63224/

RE: RCI points - RCI has 2 points programs:

1) With their traditional points program you have to enroll your timeshare in the program and it can cost hundreds to thousands to enroll. Or, you can buy a timeshare that is already enrolled in RCI points.

2) Their weeks program, just requiries a yearly membership of about $100 and you make normal deposits - not expensive enrollments. In their weeks program you get "trading power" instead of points. Commonly called "TPU" - trading power units, on TUG. To deposit your week with RCI weeks, your timeshare must be affiliated with RCI.

Whether RCI or II is best for you depends on what you have to deposit, and where you want to go.

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
So Vistana still trades with all the Starwood resorts, correct?

Vistana includes Westin and Sheraton. Westin is more upscale than Sheraton.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
I like and own HGVC. Great system, easy to use but not as many resorts as some other systems.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to define what best means to you. To me, Marriott has the best points system but it is amongst the most expensive systems to buy into, even if you buy from the resale market.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Makes me have seller's remorse for getting rid of my Vistana Resort TS which I had Starwood options with. smh, a first I'm sure you've all read about "seller's" remorse lol

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Makes me have seller's remorse for getting rid of my Vistana Resort TS which I had Starwood options with. smh, a first I'm sure you've all read about "seller's" remorse lol

I just bought a Vistana mandatory resort, WKOVRN-OF. It is one of my favorites because of the StarOptions. I also love the destinations I can trade for. I love the website for trading too and the ability to pick as many days as we want and get the view we want. If it turns out we really love it, I may buy another one at a different location. You could get a new one if you have seller’s remorse.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really don’t like questions like this

Asking what is the “best” implies that there is just one and that’s just not the case. I was looking for a timeshare system with resorts in Washington DC, Florida and California. At the time there was only one system that would do the trick. Obviously Wyndham was the best for me

What’s best for you is not something we can answer

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I really don’t like questions like this

Asking what is the “best” implies that there is just one and that’s just not the case. I was looking for a timeshare system with resorts in Washington DC, Florida and California. At the time there was only one system that would do the trick. Obviously Wyndham was the best for me

What’s best for you is not something we can answer

Ron, you're correct, and I apologize. My problem is I only like 4-5 star hotels. I would go with Hyatt due to knowing all their resorts would probably be top notch, but their locations for "me" are just okay. I am looking at Wyndham now and also Bluegreen. Bluegreen has the locations I LOVE, I live in Florida and spend a lot of time in the St. Pete area, however some of their resorts look much to be desired. Dated, etc. I'd rather pay cash and stay in a hotel room than stay in a 3.5 star resort.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Ron, you're correct, and I apologize. My problem is I only like 4-5 star hotels. I would go with Hyatt due to knowing all their resorts would probably be top notch, but their locations for "me" are just okay. I am looking at Wyndham now and also Bluegreen. Bluegreen has the locations I LOVE, I live in Florida and spend a lot of time in the St. Pete area, however some of their resorts look much to be desired. Dated, etc. I'd rather pay cash and stay in a hotel room than stay in a 3.5 star resort.

What about Hyatt? They have high quality, a lot of Florida properties and you can internally trade. Beach House Platinum Season in Key West comes with 2200 points for a reasonable price, relatively speaking.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's a 6.5 hour drive to the Keys for me and 1.5 to St Pete beach and 1.5 to St. Augustine. They aren't ruled out at all. Seems they have a Siesta key resort. I was also looking at HGVC and saw someone post they have resort fees, don't know if that is for traders only or for owners also.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
It's a 6.5 hour drive to the Keys for me and 1.5 to St Pete beach and 1.5 to St. Augustine. They aren't ruled out at all. Seems they have a Siesta key resort. I was also looking at HGVC and saw someone post they have resort fees, don't know if that is for traders only or for owners also.

If you like 4 and 5 star resorts, then the choices are Marriott, Westin, Hyatt, DVC and Hilton, primarily. For points at a “reasonable” price, the choices are Hyatt, Vistana or Hilton for internal trading and II for external trading. A Marriott legacy week is good for external trading with II. Marriott DC Points are one of my top choices because it has the most extensive number of resorts worldwide but very expensive to buy into and high MFs. DVC is too specialized and expensive to buy into and trades with RCI, which would be trading down, IMO. In full disclosure, I researched everything extensively, and I ended up with MKO legacy week, DC Points, DVC, WKOVRN and FSA. I decided against Hilton and Hyatt because the locations did not fit me as well but Hyatt was fairly appealing. I only bought DVC for the kids. Not sure how long we will keep DVC.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like to be pampered too but.....

I have had occasion recently to meet some folks in town (Naples Fl) for a convention I learned that a basic room at the Ritz Carlton here is $1400 a night. Add a pull out sofa and a view of the Gulf and the price climbs to $3000. A room at the JW Marriott on Marco Island is more

Give me a 3 Star wyndham with a kitchen and two bedrooms and two baths for my $1500 mf anyday over that