• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Excuses for NOT buying a Timeshare?

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
One- NEVER sign a contract just to end the pitch and get out of there. You will spend many hours trying to rescind and they become very tenacious when you try. Besides you might screw up and not be able to rescind!
Two- Treat the salesperson the way you are treated. If they ignore your objections or are just plain aggressive and stupid, answer with one word answers, fulfill your presentation obligation, say you are there just for the goodies and say thank you and goodbye. If they are professional, just say you own timeshares and are looking around at other facilities that you may eventually purchase in the secondary market if you find one you like.
Explain that you have just starting the review process and you will not make a buying decision until you've seen all the other resorts. If you say you are not happy with what you own they will try and work out a trade in which will delay your exit another hour!
The harder they push the more disinterested you should become and don't ask questions if you truly are not interested in this particular resort. It's a waste of everyone's time and misleads the salesman.
Three- when the pitch is done you are often referred to the recovery sales people. This is where the resort recovers some of their costs by selling you a few weeks a year in a discount vacation club. Just say hi guys I'm not interested in a VC as I'm already a member and it came with my developer contract I purchased from another resort.
Lastly, as you pick up your gifts someone will invite you to another resort for a presentation. They can only offer you 50-75% of what you can do at the airport or on the street. Almost every Mexican resort has a friendly affiliate that they allow to hawk the non buyers at exit.
Remember- Don't try and bluff the salespeople (they know more about the competition than you do) -just know how it works and say no unless you fall in love and like paying retail!

Last edited:

GTStone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be Courteous

We attended two presentations "ready to buy" and we were treated courteously and there was absolutely no pressure. We knew up front what we wanted and took advantage of that. The first was an original purchase, and the second allowed us to upgrade a 1 bedroom at one location to a two bedroom at he other. Our prices were nothing like those posted here ... we paid about $15,000 for a 2 bedroom, at the beach, in SoCal and the resort is in beautiful condition. We have no regrets. The company still invites us to attend a presentation on newer projects, and get benefits, although we make it clear upfront that we are not in a position to buy anything. We enjoy a nice conversation, hear about what they are doing, and walk out an hour later with a check, or tickets. They benefit by seeding a "good relationship" and the possibilities of referrals.

We traded into a couple of timeshares, and used the opportunity to get some "free perks". One was full of false claims, and I stopped the presentation by explaining the quality of construction was so poor that I would never risk a "special assessment" for repairs. In fact, I mentioned I would not even buy a resale for $1 ... I had no interest in their property. I was speaking the truth !

The other one was informative, but I explained that their location was not one I would use each year, and its trading options were not an enhancement to what I owned. I was courteous, but firm, and we met our committment. Its a nice resort and might work for others, but not us.

My other "fact" is quite simple. My wife and I never buy "on the spot" with anything ( other then perhaps groceries ). We tell them we would not make any decision for at least two weeks. When they say the "deal" would not be available then, we make it clear that we will not make any decision for at least two weeks, and incentives are irrelevant.

I don't believe in "something for nothing". If they give me something of value, they deserve my courteous attention for the time I agreed to, and I won't play games with them. However, buying something is never in the offer, only their presentation of information.

Tim

MLR

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank Denise for helping this topic stay focused :0)

I was happily reading along and all of a sudden I thought somehow I had clicked something that took me FAR AWAY.

I appreciated all the posts on this topic - until I read them I would NEVER again have even CONSIDERED sitting through another presentation. We still may not - but, at least, I feel that I would be able to stand my ground much more easily.

Thanks to everyone who posted here and I hope the OP comes home feeling like they had a GREAT vacation - despite the necessity to sit through a hard sell presentation.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was courteous, but firm,

My other "fact" is quite simple. My wife and I never buy "on the spot" with anything

Maybe its because we only do Marriott and Westins and avoid the Wastegates of the world but I believe if you take the simple approach Tim mentions you will avoid almost all potentially stressful situations.

I've done a dozen Marriott's and a few Westins but never have I had a situation where somebody tried to intimidate me into making a decision, I just wouldn't allow it, by being "courteous, but firm" "Sorry the value not there for me. Thank you."

If they insist on bringing in the high level closer guy this only happened in Aruba I then give them the cold hard facts of what I know about TUG and ebay and they can't wait to get me out of there.

I just did one in HHI and the first guy recognized my advanced understanding of things and said the sr guy was busy and just gave me the 15k points cert.

I definitely would not being doing these presentations if they were dragged out beyond 90 miuntes. However for us the 15k points is well worth it because it s a brief stress free discussion with someone who is usually nice and professional.

MLR

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have learned a lot from TUG

We knew absolutely nothing about timeshares when a family member offered us her Hawaii TS for a fraction of what she paid. We bought it in 2005. We didn't pay much compared to buying direct from the builder - so, thankfully, our initiation was pretty much painless. We were fortunate to be able to go to Hawaii 3 times, EOY. We banked with RCI this year and are using it for trips to other areas. So far, we are happy with this arrangement.

We have only attended ONE TS presentation PRIOR to buying our TS and we did buy a $1000 'trial' and did get 2 vacations out of it. So, it could have been much worse. It was a learning experience.

But the folks here on TUG are not only knowledgeable, but generous with their expertise and IF we were ever to sit through another presentation - we would be much better prepared.

I am not sure yet if we WILL actually ever do it - I was seriously considering having a T Shirt made to wear when we checked in that said "NO! Don't Even Ask" with a smiley face on it. But I am not sure I have enough nerve to wear it.

I think standing in front of a mirror and practicing saying the word NO out loud wouldn't hurt anything, either.

swtravels

Reaction score
Print off a few closed auctions for their specific time-share on Ebay. Show that you can get the same thing for 5%-10% of their cost.

Note that if they sign your discount/attendance note quickly you'll leave quietly - otherwise in 5 minutes you'll start making the same comments - but loudly.

OP here again. This thread has gotten very long, but I did say many posts ago that I couldn't find resales for this exact resort on E-Bay or another other website. To those who know how to search for these things, the resort in Nuevo Vallarta is the Marival Residences & World Spa.

IMPORTANT, I believe they are selling condos although there may be a fractional program too (I'll find out during the presentation I guess). This is not the same as the Marival Resort and Suites (a much older and inferior sister resort a few miles away) nor is it the Marival Grand & Club Suites (which I think is the same as the Resorts and Suites place) nor is it the Marival Vacation Club.

Here is the link to their main website http://www.marivalresidencesdevelopment.com/us/welcome

Maeltne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, well then. Pick a popular/comparable timeshare and go with that.

I've also had success with something like the following.

I'm not interested. I know about the resale market. If I was interested I'd buy from there. You have no hope of a sale today with us, but I have $20 for you if you can get us out of here in 20 minutes are less.

Usually it's best done when they take you on the 'tour' away from their managers prying eyes.

tqmon

Reaction score
Only do US Timeshares and Say NO

I do not like doing Mexican (or other non US/Canada) Timeshare presentations because of the really high pressure of the sales people. I also do not doing such large financial contracts in foreign countries. These jokers will do anything to wear you down so that you buy something. A good place will accept your 'no', tell you thank you, then move on to the next Rube. Marriott and Hyatt are on the level and don't want to waste time with non-buyers. Enough people will buy, they don't care if 90% take the free gift, reduced rate and say no.

I agree with hose who tell you to say 'No' and hold your ground. I have been insulted and yelled at by the shady people in the business. Easier to skip those presentations.

dougmacj

Reaction score
Hi,

This may not turn out to be the most popular post, but my wife and I are attending a timeshare presentation next month. We got a big discount at the resort for a week for agreeing to it. From what I hear, the presentation can be very long (3-4 hours) and extremely high pressure. :mad:

We will give the presenters a fair chance to make their case, but we are 99% certain we are just not interested.

If they keep pushing and just won't take no for an answer, other than storming out, we're looking for a guaranteed line to give these folks to stop the hard sell. I'm sure they are trained well and have pat answers to almost every objection one can come up with and "I'm just not interested" is not going to cut it.

Has anyone come up with a certified show-stopper. One line or one answer that will stop them dead cold in their tracks? We need that line! Thanks.

Go into the TUG timeshare resales and you can sometimes find FOR SALE the very timeshare being pushed on you. Or on EBay for $1, or for a like timeshare, Print it out and take it with you. That stopped our salesman cold.

2chuck

Reaction score
Do some research before the presentation

I like to attend TS Presentations not only for the incentives, but I also learn a lot about their Properties, what's going on in the Industry, and General TS tips.
My favorite turn down was to find a resale on Tug in the same development before going to the sales pitch and then when the pressure started I asked him if he could match the price of the resale and showed him the ad. It was like flipping a switch to off. Suddenly he was no longer my best friend and shut down the sales pitch. He told his assistant to give me my incentive because I wouldn't be purchasing.
Another time I found that the TS Club doing the presentation was in the process of merger with another TS Company. The purchasing company could not get financing and the deal was falling apart. I used that to turn down the offer. I told them I would have to wait to see the outcome of the merger before I could commit.
Other times I've just said No, I don't like this place, or I don't like the way you nickel and dime your owners for wifi, parking, laundry, or why don't you have a washer/dryer in the unit, or I can't buy a place that doesn't have an elevator. The trick is to find a flaw (real or imagined) that the salesman cannot possibly overcome. When they figure that out, it's checkmate. :wave:
Another tactic is to set it up in advance with your spouse to tell you that you just can't have it.
I never say I can't afford it, or my credit can't take it, because most TS have you sign that you have a high income and/or good credit.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
the resort in Nuevo Vallarta is the Marival Residences & World Spa.

In that case, my objection would include, "Ah, brand new resort, huh? I'll wait to see how the marketplace values it in the resale market." And when they say "don't you want 'brand new?' to which you advise them that there is no such thing as a 'brand new' timeshare the day after they open. "Someone slept in the bed the night before I checked in, and someone else will sleep in it the night after we leave."

Good luck. Sounds like a nice place and worth the aggravation of a presentation. Have fun!

Jim

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
You Typed A Mouthful.

And when they say "don't you want 'brand new?' to which you advise them that there is no such thing as a 'brand new' timeshare the day after they open. "Someone slept in the bed the night before I checked in, and someone else will sleep in it the night after we leave."
You are correct, sir.

All timeshares are used-used-used.

Full Disclosure: I know somebody who actually did check into a brand-new timeshare unit 1 time. Construction had recently been completed & nobody ever stayed in that individual unit before them. As it happens, they were there on RCI exchange. Everybody who stayed in that unit after they checked out got a unit that was used-used-used.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Cargojon

Reaction score
OP here again. This thread has gotten very long, but I did say many posts ago that I couldn't find resales for this exact resort on E-Bay or another other website. To those who know how to search for these things, the resort in Nuevo Vallarta is the Marival Residences & World Spa.

IMPORTANT, I believe they are selling condos although there may be a fractional program too (I'll find out during the presentation I guess). This is not the same as the Marival Resort and Suites (a much older and inferior sister resort a few miles away) nor is it the Marival Grand & Club Suites (which I think is the same as the Resorts and Suites place) nor is it the Marival Vacation Club.

Here is the link to their main website http://www.marivalresidencesdevelopment.com/us/welcome

Americans cannot own property in Mexico - so this would not be a deeded week like you would get in the USA. This is most likely a "right to use" situation. It's possible that these right-to-uses aren't transferable/able to be sold and that's why you can't find anything on the secondary market.

Still no excuse to buy from the builder!!!!!

If you were he11-bent on going to this resort regularly, I would buy a US timeshare that trades in the same exchange on the cheap and trade into the thing. Maintenance fees are probably a heck of a lot less anyway.

WISESHOPPER

Reaction score
Hi,

This may not turn out to be the most popular post, but my wife and I are attending a timeshare presentation next month. We got a big discount at the resort for a week for agreeing to it. From what I hear, the presentation can be very long (3-4 hours) and extremely high pressure. :mad:

We will give the presenters a fair chance to make their case, but we are 99% certain we are just not interested.

If they keep pushing and just won't take no for an answer, other than storming out, we're looking for a guaranteed line to give these folks to stop the hard sell. I'm sure they are trained well and have pat answers to almost every objection one can come up with and "I'm just not interested" is not going to cut it.

Has anyone come up with a certified show-stopper. One line or one answer that will stop them dead cold in their tracks? We need that line! Thanks.
The one that works for us every time is "we were hoping that upscale nudist resorts would be available for exchange". Sales pitch comes to an abrupt end.