• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Believe it or not - I went to a Wyndham Sales Presentation

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We just returned from Kauai Beach Villas, and at check-in we discovered that currently, the only way to (legally) use the hotel swimming pool on the same property is to attend a sales presentation and receive "golden" arm bands. Yes - it really is gold! We also receive a $100 AMEX gift card.

IMG_2642.JPG

I have to admit, I was also curious to see what the Wyndham sales presentations sounded like these days.

-The "concierge" at the KBV office told us the "owner's update" would only be 45 min.
-On the form we had to sign for the presentation, she wrote 60 min.
-The presentation was actually 90 min.

The presentation was at the Bali Hai resort in Princeville, which is lovely, but it's in-land and it "feels" like a densely populated condo property - not a Hawaii resort.

Some amusing highlights:

We presented ourselves as low income retirees who didn't know much about timesharing and stated upfront that we were there to sell back some of our timeshares to Wyndham, because we were struggling to pay the MF's since retiring. We repeated this half a dozen times, and asked each new sales person if Wyndham would buy them back. I didn't admit that I knew anything about timeshares.

We saw 3 people:

-Our sales person - probably newish on the job.
-Her supervisor - had been in the business for years - had a lot of forced "Rah Rah" including awkward touching, high fiving, and loud exclamations of "BOOM!" after he made a point.
-The closer - an elderly lady who offered us a trial pkg. and lead us to the gift desk in 10 min. She also gave kind advice about how to rent our timeshares to cover our maintenance fees.

First there was a rather long presentation about the close relationship between Wyndham and Pahio and how the original developer carefully hand picked Wyndham to hand his precious resorts over to.

Then there was a rather confusing review of all the Wyndham benefits. Even as someone who is familier with timeshares, this was confusing to me, and I'm not sure if the sales person was just not very good, or if they were trying to baffle us with BS.

Then her supervisor came in with copies of our deed info and stated that only 6 of our 7 weeks were eligible for Wyndham, because we only bought 6 of the 7 deeds directly from Pahio. (Actually, we bought all of them on the resale market for pennies on the dollar, or free.)

He also congratulated us with great (fake) enthusiasm for owning timeshares worth over $400K. (While at the same time stating that they had absolutely no interest in buying back any of our valuable weeks! Which we knew, of course.) With great joy he informed us that this qualified us for the highest elite status with Wyndham, which every Wyndham owner coveted, and gushed about our good fortune.

I didn't write numbers down, but to convert all 6 deeds to [Wyndham] points they wanted us to buy a Bali Hai deed for about $22K. They told us this was an extra special deal available on a foreclosure, that only was available that day and not to tell anyone. Plus a conversion fee of about $1,500 per week. (And I think there was one other fee?)

They GUARANTEED that -

-We would have the exact same ability to make home resort reservations at KBV at 16 mos. (not true)
-We would always have first choice of RCI exchanges before other RCI members.
-We would always be able to make Wyndham reservations for 50% of the required points.
-We would always be upgraded.

I actually reviewed these promises with them (knowing they were untrue) to see if they would double down on them, and they did.

After we clearly stated that we couldn't afford to take on anything else, and actually wanted to down-size, they briefly offered us a much smaller pkg., and then a trial pkg., which we also refused.

Overall, as presentations go, it wasn't bad. They were not rude or unprofessional, although, they lied, of course. :p

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Thank you! And great job!!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You deserve an Oscar! It sounded like you had fun, got the arm bands and made a hundred bux!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So the next time you go you need to make it known from the Get go that you are a moderator on TUG, very familiar with timeshares, plan to document the sales presentation experience on TUG and see how the experience changes.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to keep this thread bookmarked ... you now have a 'sales profile' in the "great prospects for SALES" database ...and you will be quiz for all future trips to your Hawaii getaway.

And practice getting poorer each year ... dead car, dead a/c, dead alarm system (now afraid to leave home) ... and some year, maybe even play the "invalid husband" card and NEXT year, he plays the "sick wife" card.... but he got better.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I dont think we will go back - I was kind of entertained by the whole thing, but DH despises sales presentations! We carefully preserved the armbands to use next time. ;)

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Ok Denise, Nice job, but you said they lied. So you lied a bit too, but in a good way. Sounds like they ignored your question of buy back. Glad you got to keep the golden bands

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great job, I agree you deserve an Oscar. I just cannot deal with all the lies anymore.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok Denise, Nice job, but you said they lied. So you lied a bit too, but in a good way. Sounds like they ignored your question of buy back.

I actually didn't lie - if they would have taken them back, I would have sold them the 3 one bedrooms. I retired 3 years ago, and my income decreased, and my DH is getting ready to retire very soon, and his income will decrease. They didn't avoid my question about buying back - they clearly stated that they would not, but of course, they had a much better option for me!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we should have an "ARM BAND EXCHANGE" thread .... or RENT your "ARM BAND" thread.

Wyndham will change colors regularly.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham may not change colors regularly in this case, because the hotel has a different color armband every day of the week - 7 colors. So in this case, they may stick with gold - We'll see.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sales weasel can lie with impunity because of the clause in the purchase contract that basically states anything said during the sales presentation/process is moot and does not apply. Only the terms and conditions written in the contract apply. Therefore they can lie, lie and lie. And they do, do and do. Everything they say is dodo. . .

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait, what? They make you attend a sales presentation to use the pool?!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The timeshare and hotel are separate facilities on the same property. They were once affiliated, but no more. To use the fancier hotel pool, you have to have an armband. No limitations to use the timeshare pool.

In the past, they had a reciprocal arrangement: Condo-Hotel guests could use the TS tennis courts, and timeshare guests could use the Condo-Hotel pools.

Then, about 2 years ago, they started charging TS guests $20 per day.

Then, when Wyndham lost the TS management contract Jan. 1, the Condo-Hotel HOA immediately cancelled access for TS guests all together - unless you attended a Wyndham sales presentation.

I suspect that since Wyndham is now buying armbands from the Condo-Hotel for their sales promo, that part of the agreement states that the Condo-Hotel won't provide access to the new management company, Grand Pacific.

The condo-hotel is an all suite property, and some of the units have full time owners, and some are rented with Aqua as the management company. I was told by the TS manager, that the HOA calls the shots at the Condo-Hotel property.

Wyndham and Grand Pacific are struggling for control of the TS's, because Wyndham owns part of the physical facility, and also some of the units are converted to Wyndham points, and Wyndham wants to get the Mgmt. contract back.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Thanks. Sorry you had to take the 30 minute drive. Two years ago we attended the Wyndham Sales Pitch at Bali Hai. We got out in less than 45 minutes. My oldest son and DIL were with us. We only went so they could get discounts on 3 activities. Of course the $150 Amex helped. The first person knew nothing. After about 20 minutes her Supervisor joined us and he knew only a bit more. We got out so quickly because the day before one of the older Salesmen had a major heart attacked and died on the Salesroom Floor. The Salesroom Staff was a bit depressed. Sorry for his Family. Happy about the short period of time.

We actually like staying there for easy access to the North of the Island. We usually spend 2 to 3 weeks on Kauai. We split the stay between Princeville and then the Koloa/Poipu area. When we stay up north we do Kapa'a to Ke'e Beach. Then when we stay in the Koloa/Poipu area we do Lihue to Waimea.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One thing I learned is that the activity prices that they offer are not any lower (or just a few dollars lower) than the prices that I can book for myself online.

We like the north shore as well, but we don't want to stay at an in-land resort with no ocean views. That's #1 on our list for Hawaii timeshares - which is why we bought ocean front at KBV.

Our View (note - furniture has been upgraded since this photo was taken)

kbv-view2.jpg
kbv_SwimArea.jpg
KauaiBeachVillas.jpg

Hotel pools:

KBV_Aqua.jpg

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The last Wyndham presentation we attended, the salesperson said Platinum members get unlimited free guest certificates. I was immediately annoyed with the lack of information (or truth!).

taffy19

Reaction score
Hotel pool looks nice but do you have a picture of the KBV's pool?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's been recently renovated, but it's small. You can't see it in this shot, but there is a shaded area (like a patio), a new bar-b-que area with nice bar-b-ques, counter, and sink, and a lower deck with lounges and umbrellas, as well.

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 1.55.52 PM.png

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM your photos are awesome!!! Thanks for sharing.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet wyndham will take back your deeds through their ovation program

I got a similar story when I converted my Pahio deeds to points. Actually I didnt own any Pahio deeds, I bought some to take advantage of the deal. Some of what I bought qualified to be converted and some didnt, It seems that deeds originally sold by Pahio (whether I purchased them from Pahio or not) qualified, but deeds originally sold by wyndham would not qualify if I had bought them on the secondary market. And like you the ones that qualified would make me VIP. (its the Platinum VIP status that would give you the 50% discount they offered. Of course since you cant cancel and rebook for a discount anymore, you wont get the discount every time like they said.

I did the deal. I had to buy one small new contract for each group of three deeds I wanted to convert, plus $89/deed. so I spent about $25000 to convert 6 deeds You would have spent $31000.. So not that much different. Except that my deal gave me a Platinum VIP account when Platinum VIP was worth something

For those of you that still want a VIP account on the cheap, Denise just gave you the road forward.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I'm just shocked that they didn't want your $400,000 in timeshares.:rolleyes:

Good story and you gotta love those views. We're like you, we have to see that ocean. We like Princeville but we go up the a couple of times while we're there and that's enough.

We have a trip to New Orleans in a couple weeks, hope it dries out. Then Kauai in May, which has turned into our favorite time to go.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just shocked that they didn't want your $400,000 in timeshares.:rolleyes:

Good story and you gotta love those views. We're like you, we have to see that ocean. We like Princeville but we go up the a couple of times while we're there and that's enough.

We have a trip to New Orleans in a couple weeks, hope it dries out. Then Kauai in May, which has turned into our favorite time to go.
Given all that rain, you may see the ocean from your room in New orleans

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I've been watching. Eleven days to dry out, we'll see.