• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Before You Book A Basic Economy Airfare, Read This

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in my traveling days when I flew I would never check a bag. I would only put selected/important items in my carry-on and purchase the rest, t-shirts, shorts, socks, bathroom items, etc. new when I arrived at my location. Before heading home I would stuff all of the new stuff I wanted to keep in a USPS One Rate box and mail it to myself. It worked like a charm...

George

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I’m thinking of flying first class to Phoenix, Arizona the price seems high, but the airline allows two checked bags free, lunch included, first to board, refundable tickets.
Usually we fly Southwest with free bag each, but we are planning a two week vacation.
Am I being extravagant? Never flown first class before.
Silentg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I’m thinking of flying first class to Phoenix, Arizona the price seems high, but the airline allows two checked bags free, lunch included, first to board, refundable tickets.
Usually we fly Southwest with free bag each, but we are planning a two week vacation.
Silentg
Southwest allows two free bags each.

I have only flown first class a couple of times. They were both free upgrades. To me it wouldn't be worth it to spend that much for the flight.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Silentg

When we flew to Utah in Sept my husband and I both commented that we did not see much of a difference between flying in the first class section and the economy class where we were sitting- at least considering the difference in price. Don't see how it would be really worth it. We usually get two isle seats next to each other and consider ourselves lucky with that.

We put our carryons in the overhead bins and two personal bags (back packs) under the seats. We were away for 9 days. We used the laundry facilities at the resort once- right before we headed home.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
That article doesn't take into account affinity credit cards. We mostly fly Delta. With our affinity credit card we get free checked bags along with the cheaper basic economy pricing. Plus, we get double miles buying the seats with the cards. Yes, there's an annual fee on the card. But, we have annual travel that allows us to use the free companion fare we get for paying the annual fee allowing us to recoup that cost plus.

Occasionally we don't fly Delta. We also have an American Airlines affinity card with the same checked bag benefit. This gives us an alternative for flights. In addition, it gives us an alternative card to use when a vendor won't accept the American Express credit card.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid for economy rather than basic economy on United Tuesday. I do two carryons and a big purse plus our two sleep machines. I picked window seat and aisle seat. I ordered wheelchair assistance for my husband for cognitive problems
When we arrived at airport at five am the line for United was at least fifty people long. I didn’t want to stand in line to ask for wheelchair assistance.
I had trouble with security and got a body search. Meanwhile I look and my husband is on the other side of security and I am calling him please come through security
Get back to our items and I notice my husband has placed his wallet, keys, and the tv remote in the bin. Have to repack all my electronics and set him up to get the gate.

When going through security the bar code had not printed on paper tickets. The agent did not come to the gate until ten minutes before boarding. At that time she has a line about forty people in length waiting for seat assignments. I have to get in the line to get new boarding passes. She announces seat assignment on left and we need 14 bags checked line upon right. It is a mess the repercussion of having a basic economy class affects everyone
When they announce early boarding I go up for that. My husband is polite and becomes separated from me and can’t find me. I am trying to wave him over and call his name and people in line are being nasty.
My husband will stand in front of overhead bin all day to put in luggage because he thinks about all the different ways he can put it in and not be able to follow verbal directions. We would hold up entire plane
Finally get settled and he can’t understand why we have a seat between us and he wants to give uphis window seat for whoever is coming.
We arrive in Chicago and a kind person takes the luggage down but he can’t figure out what he is supposed to do. There is a huge wait for him to get off plane. He gets to wheelchair but can’t figure how to sit in it.
He gets wheeled to other gate and they ask do you need the restroom, he says no. We get deposited and he now tells me he needs washroom. It is across hall and I show him. He comes out and is totally lost and can’t find where to go.
Process repeated on second flight but when he comes off the plane a lady was rolling his luggage.
We don’t travel for pleasure but it may be our last trip and I won’t get to see our grandkids anymore,
I can ship the contents of one bag but not the sleep machines and not the bag filled with electronics and medications. If I check a bag, I set him down with all the carryons but he gets up and wanders away. I hate traveling by air

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Wow! I thank all of you for your input. I’m going to look into the AA credit card. We have a Venture card that we use for travel. Going to see what Southwest will charge when they open the travel window for the end of April.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Wow! I thank all of you for your input. I’m going to look into the AA credit card. We have a Venture card that we use for travel. Going to see what Southwest will charge when they open the travel window for the end of April.
Just one more comment about flying first class. It never looks to me like the first class cabins are all that much bigger on the domestic flights. Again, it's not worth it to me to pay the extra for what little additional comfort I might get. I usually will pay the extra for Economy Plus seats on United, Jet Blue and Alaska Airlines, and for Southwest we try to snag the exit row seats which give us more leg room.

Southwest is now booking through April 13. Per their website: "On October 30, 2019, we will open our schedule for sale through June 06, 2020. (Date is subject to change; please check back frequently.)"

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Just one more comment about flying first class. It never looks to me like the first class cabins are all that much bigger on the domestic flights. Again, it's not worth it to me to pay the extra for what little additional comfort I might get. I usually will pay the extra for Economy Plus seats on United, Jet Blue and Alaska Airlines, and for Southwest we try to snag the exit row seats which give us more leg room.

Southwest is now booking through April 13. Per their website: "On October 30, 2019, we will open our schedule for sale through June 06, 2020. (Date is subject to change; please check back frequently.)"
Thanks Luanne

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We took Amtrak this summer and I believe the same space for nine seats on a plane equals the space for two seats on Amtrak

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
That article doesn't take into account affinity credit cards. We mostly fly Delta. With our affinity credit card we get free checked bags along with the cheaper basic economy pricing. <snip>

Occasionally we don't fly Delta. We also have an American Airlines affinity card with the same checked bag benefit. <snip>.
Not the same. When we fly Delta basic economy to Mexico, our bags go free. This is not true for American Airlines.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We upgraded to first class for a domestc trip recently.
The perks are nice, but clearly not worth the expense.
BTW, you can get better food at a cocourse deli.

OTOH, there is value in the comfort & convenience.
So I say, if 3 months later, you won't miss the $$, go for it.