TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Bed bug sniffing dogs

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by mdurette, Apr 27, 2018.

1. mdurette

mdurette TUG Member

i belong to a Facebook group for a TS I own in FL. Someone just returned and mentioned she was happy to see the bed bug sniffing dogs there. Said they are used every 3-4 months. I have never heard of such a thing. Do all places do this?

2. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    I've never heard of it either, but just Googled the subject. It seems there is a growing industry for bedbug sniffing dogs. Who knew?

Dave

3. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    If you have ever watched Hotel Impossible on the Travel Channel (don't know if this is still on as we dropped the DirecTV package that included the Travel Channel), Anthony uses them fairly often. They seem to be very effective.

4. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I don't think it really takes bedbug sniffing dogs. I mean, it isn't rocket science to see brown stains (blood-bug poop) along the seams of the mattress/pad. When you move into a hotel/timeshare, just pull back the sheet and check the seams under it.

FreeIn2010 likes this.
  5. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    I think the dogs can smell the bugs before they very far along. There may be bedbugs recently introduced that don't show the signs that you are referring to. Better to be proactive than to let your guests find them. May be just as cheap to pay someone to bring a dog through than to tie up staff. Sure you could have the maids check every day, but it is perhaps better to have a professional.

6. Passepartout

'Professional bedbug sniffing dog'? Officially certified by the same organization that issues 'Emotional Support Animal' vests to peafowl and goats and gerbils. Really?!?!?

7. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    I would more likely compare it to a trained service animal for the blind vs an emotional support "pet".

8. Passepartout

Call it whatever you want. But until there is some recognized testing criterion, it lacks credibility. Orkin (and their ilk) have cred.

9. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    Your avatar would like to have a word with you......

clifffaith likes this.
  10. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East
    Ok, I’m going to ask the question. What is the difference between a service dog, an emotional support dog, and a bed bug sniffing dog? Are all of them allowed to stay in a timeshare ?
    On a side note. Last night we were out to dinner at a nice restaurant. The people at the next table came in with a stroller, we thought it was a baby, until Fido poked his head out. So if you get a fancy stroller for your pet you can bring him/her anywhere?
    Thank you for clarification on this matter.
    Silentg

11. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    I have to ask SilentG - was the pooch better behaved than the kids in the restaurant?

Seriously though, I do get your point here. In so many areas today, reasonable standards have been plowed under in favor of personal whims. Consideration for others has given way to self fulfillment. This is not a positive trend.

12. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Do they use dogs to track suspects and search for missing people? Is there an official certification or is the dog and handler just trained? Is a piece of paper always that important? Isn't it their sense of smell that gives them credibility?

Are you also saying that pets don't provide emotional support?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    bluehende likes this.
  13. shorts

shorts TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Points
    Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
    I have seen pest control companies advertise the use of a dog in their bedbug treatment service.

14. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East
    Yes, if the dog didn’t poke his head out we would have thought it was a baby. Very quiet, just thought very elegant stroller for a dog.

15. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

They have dogs that can detect blood sugar issues (met a lady in Hawaii with a Yorkie worn in a sling across her chest) and seizures about to start, so why not one that can smell bed bugs? We got ratted out by a little fruit beagle in Hawaii when we didn't realize they were as concerned about fruit leaving as they were fruit coming in (we praised the dog and they let us sit and eat our apples before proceeding further into the airport).

16. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Mcalpin, Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club at Marco Island, Hgvc Plantation Beach Club at Indian River, Sunrise Bay & Club, Hideaway Sands, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    I have had one of these bed bug sniffing dogs in my home to get an insurance policy if my get them in my home in the future. It was offered by the pest control company I use.

I freaked out when the dog was sniffing my couch and started barking and jumping up. Not known to me the company had placed a closed dish with a live bed bug in it. I was told they randomly place it. This way they know if the dog is 100% that day. They do not want to insure a home that has bed bugs already.

17. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Did you share?

18. VegasBella

VegasBella TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Inn
    Avenue Plaza
    Riviera Beach & Spa
    My sister got bed bugs in her house once a long time ago and hired a service that used a dog. She loved the dog, said she was so cute and nice.

But there are some easy practical measures you can take to help prevent bed bugs that are probably more cost effective than hiring bed bug dogs to come inspect every 6 months.

19. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

Didn't occur to us to offer a dog an apple. Carrots would be another matter, every dog we ever had enjoyed raw carrot sticks. And one year I grew sugar snaps in pots and had to move them to the front porch because our beagle would stand on his back legs to reach up to pick peas!

bbodb1 likes this.
  20. RNCollins

RNCollins TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House
    Two of my coworkers had bedbugs in their apartments :eek:

21. Donald Wilson

Donald Wilson Guest

Yes, I have heard that most of the pest control companies are turning to a bedbug-sniffing dogs to search for these tiny, often-elusive bugs.
    As bedbugs are infectious to households, movie theaters, retailers, schools, offices and it is surely bedbug-sniffing dogs which is beneficial in the detection of bed bugs. But still I find that hiring professional bed bug exterminator in East Bay, CA, FL, NYC and in other places uses heat treatment to eliminate bedbugs which is an effective method.

22. Donald Wilson

Donald Wilson Guest

Yesterday my neighbor also had hired a professional bed bug exterminator East Bay, where the experts inspected their home and treated all cracks and crevices and used heat treatment to eliminate bed bugs.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 5:17 AM
  23. Jan M.

Jan M. Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    We were staying at a resort in Florida when the handler brought the bed bug sniffing dog through. He gave us a demonstration and of course the dog got his treat. The guy told us he did a lot of places in the area. I think it might have been when we stayed at the Vanderbilt Beach Club in Naples. Great resort btw.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    bbodb1 likes this.