• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beach Chairs and Umbrellas

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
Since many on here spend a lot of time on the beach in Hawaii and chairs and an umbrella are a must have this is what I came up with. Often we go twice a year (Sept and June) and renting was not an option. We bought Tommy Bahama chairs and take out the two bolts holding the chair together (use 1/2 inch box or open wrench and 5mm Allen wrench) and it fits in a 24"x24" box purchased at UPS. We also put in two beach umbrellas bought from Portbrella Travel Umbrella Co. and our snorkel gear for two. Alaska ships this for free as your checked bag as it fits in their requirements for a checked bag. We put strapping tape in the box and and carefully cut what is on the box and reseal when we get ready to go home. A box will last four trips round trip if carefully handled. The box is a little unwieldy so we try not to carry too far.

The Portabrella co makes excellent beach umbrellas that fold up to 24" and these are the only ones we found that would fit the box, the Tommy Bahamas will not. This is the company website and they ship a second one for $1 extra. We bought two and with shipping to California the cost for two was less than $100. Maybe this will help some regulars to Hawaii.

http://portabrella.com/

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Our solution for beach locations consists of flying Southwest and use a combination of portable beach chair and Sport-Brella that attaches to the chair. The Sport-Brella slips into the chair bag so it is a single checked item. Since Southwest allows two free checked items, we can each check our chair/umbrella combo and a suitcase, which is plenty for us.

Now obviously we have not done this to Hawaii, but we will be able to as soon as Southwest starts flying there next year! We actually do this for traveling to our daughter's national softball tournaments as well.

Kurt

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I got my Tommy Bahama chairs online and saved the shipping boxes. I plan to tape the two boxes together and check both as a single item. I ordered a sun shade as well, but that arrived a bit longer than i hoped and don't that quite figured out. The Portabrella looks cool, but i dont want to buy something else just yet..

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I wish I taken a picture but we bought 4 Tommy Bahama chairs and one boogie board. We ducked taped the chairs to the board. The airline accepted them and they made it home fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: LJT

Kapolei

Reaction score
I thought you were going to remind me to get them out of my yard before the storm comes.