• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Battery life shorter?

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else has noticed a shorter battery life lately? Have been going through AA batteries it seems a lot quicker then before. In a wireless computer mouse, TV remote, and son's XBox control. At first thought it was maybe off brand but latest have been Duracell and Energizer.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope. Same old same old here.

What I've noticed has changed radically are small appliance electrical cords. When did China start using old barbed wire taken from a bone yard in their cords instead of the more pliable copper wire? Remember when cords were pliable, and you could actually wind them up?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else has noticed a shorter battery life lately? Have been going through AA batteries it seems a lot quicker then before. In a wireless computer mouse, TV remote, and son's XBox control. At first thought it was maybe off brand but latest have been Duracell and Energizer.

Is it possible your son is swapping out batteries with other devices to keep his battery-munching controllers going? I find myself doing that for my daughter's xbox controllers.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We primarily use rechargeable (AA/AAA) batteries. But even these start to degrade over the years.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any significant changes recently. FWIW, my nephew recently did a science experiment with battery life. He tested national brands and generics and found that Energizer was the top performer followed by Duracell. Ray-O-Vac came in last place after several generics like CVS. I've found Energizer to be the most reliable so that's what we use.

I try to squeeze a little more life out of batteries by switching them around in the device. You can usually do this at least 2x and get at a few more months worth in the case of a TV remote.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tia ... dang, you are all wrong to 'give the best batteries to the kid'. Make the kid earn battery power ... my youngest nephew LEARNED the world does not 'go round' due to Gameboy or xBox. He learned to work starting when he was 4yo and started getting "pay checks" when 5yo. .. took his mother 5 months to get him to give up the check so she could CASH IT for him.

As for recharging batteries .. they last longer use life if they get fully charged before each use. Half charges tend to decrease their overall life.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay must be my imagination. The xbox user has bought batteries for the house too that I've used and seemed they just are not lasting. Thanks

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay must be my imagination. The xbox user has bought batteries for the house too that I've used and seemed they just are not lasting. Thanks

If the batteries aren't working for you, it's not your imagination. It's possible that by removing the batteries frequently the contact points may be weak. Before I started using my phone as my primary camera, I had a handheld camera that ate batteries like crazy. It would take fewer than a dozen pix then demand new ones. :doh: After of throwing away $$$ of brand new batteries I put a little piece of metal spring between the battery and contact points and the problem was resolved. One last bit of battery trivia to share, I found that not all battery brands are a uniform size, so some just don't make contact. Provides a nice revenue for the battery companies at a great cost to consumers.:rolleyes:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any significant changes recently. FWIW, my nephew recently did a science experiment with battery life. He tested national brands and generics and found that Energizer was the top performer followed by Duracell. Ray-O-Vac came in last place after several generics like CVS. I've found Energizer to be the most reliable so that's what we use.
I'm impressed. Out of curiosity, did he test Kirkland (Costco) batteries? We usually buy those instead of the Duracells they also sell.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Look on the box and find out where the batteries were made. I like batteries made in the USA and Germany. All Duracell batteries are not made in the USA.

Reactions: Tia

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I always write the date on my batteries with a permanent marker when I put them in - even been know to put labels on them. :eek: Most last at least a year. I tend to use Duracell or Energizer.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed. Out of curiosity, did he test Kirkland (Costco) batteries? We usually buy those instead of the Duracells they also sell.

No, sorry. We don't have Costco near us. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kirkland brand turned out to be Energizer in disguise since so many products just receive different labels.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look on the box and find out where the batteries were made. I like batteries made in the USA and Germany. All Duracell batteries are not made in the USA.

Very interesting, will check that out

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

That has been happening to me with my mouse and TV remote. The weird thing is I switched over to the Dollar Tree batteries and for some odd reason they seem to be lasting longer...go figure...LOL

Reactions: Tia