• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Avenue Plaza, pre- Mardi Gras Week

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok so who else sees the value in a deeded week 8 at Avenue Plaza?

I though my $1100 snipe would be more than enough to grab this...but no it went for $1281 at least 2 others thought it was worth more than I did

I guess I have some competition for Mardi Gras. Whoever won it give me a call, Ill tell you my secret reservation tactic for this week and which of the VC's that understand how this can work

mwcrother

Reaction score
pre-Mardi Gras Week

I just bought a deeded pre-Mardi Gras Week 8 at the Avenue Plaza. I've owned a week 9 for years. I'm really less interested in the Week 8 weekend, but I want Wednesday and Thursday night; my week 9 is Friday to Friday. Is it possible to rent the timeshare for Friday to Tuesday of the pre-Mardi Gras week, and then check in myself on Tuesday or Wednesday until Friday?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought a deeded pre-Mardi Gras Week 8 at the Avenue Plaza. I've owned a week 9 for years. I'm really less interested in the Week 8 weekend, but I want Wednesday and Thursday night; my week 9 is Friday to Friday. Is it possible to rent the timeshare for Friday to Tuesday of the pre-Mardi Gras week, and then check in myself on Tuesday or Wednesday until Friday?

You can split your week, into a 3 and a 4 night reservation. so if you want Wednesday and Thursday, you have to do Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
and then you will have a 4 night reservation for the week that you can rent.

And its important to note that that 4 night reservation can overlap the 3 nights you took for yourself. or not as you and your guest see fit

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I wish I could say I was the one who stole it, Ron, but it wasn't me. It's exactly what I would have bought because that's when I want to go to NOLA.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
FWIW, the week prior to Mardi Gras actually provides more TPU in RCI than Mardi Gras week for some reason - at least for 2017.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
FWIW, the week prior to Mardi Gras actually provides more TPU in RCI than Mardi Gras week for some reason - at least for 2017.

For some reason there was some confusion at Avenue Plaza when I was making my reservation for next year as to what week number was Mardis Gras in 2017 (they were given a bad calendar by management).

I'm wondering if RCI was supplied bad info as well...

Edit - RCI's calculator seems weird for the resort. The week after Mardis Gras in 2018 is getting 7 TPUs more than the Mardis Gras Week (and 10 more than Lundis Gras).

Last edited:

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Looks like it's not just at Avenue Plaza; RCI values week 7 much higher in NOLA regardless of when Mardi Gras is.

Somebody needs to tweak their algorithm.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Interesting that you pulled this thread back up. I'm in the process of acquiring a deeded week 8 at Avenue Plaza.

RCI certainly does not account for Mardi Gras. That's good for anyone to know if they're interested in trading into a NOLA resort.

This week 8 is the type of ownership that is going to be very particular. Some will love it and many will hate it.

It seems as through RCI values it too low as a trade, ignoring the fact that it's an event week and has a very real defined market. Because it's not valued well by exchange companies it would not be a good thing to own if you planned to trade it most of the time. Non-locals and people who don't go to NOLA often may not see the value of the location. They may prefer being in the French Quarter.

But people who know NOLA well and who like Mardi Gras can easily see the value of this ownership. It's a great time to experience carnival and the location is good too - for watching parades, for staying out of tourist traps, for getting around without a car. Ron can attest - locals will rent a room there just to have access for parking and restrooms.

madsr

Reaction score
I have just been informed by Wyndham that you can no longer overlap if you split your week, which is awful in my opinion as I would like to do a 3 and 4 night overlap and have friends stay at the same time..

Ron are you aware of this change?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have just been informed by Wyndham that you can no longer overlap if you split your week, which is awful in my opinion as I would like to do a 3 and 4 night overlap and have friends stay at the same time..

Ron are you aware of this change?

Yes I know about it

I own one week 8 and two week 9s the change is a $2700/ year hit for me
Not really. I'll use the second splits to make essence fest reservations
They don't generate as much rental income but not bad either

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Quite a big change, but I can certainly understand it. Any idea when they implemented it?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite a big change, but I can certainly understand it. Any idea when they implemented it?

it came about after last years sugar bowl, another event week. apparently enough week 52 owners split their week and doubled up so that a lot or other week 52 owners were shut out

and that shouldnt happen, They should have had a guarantee. I dont know why it hasnt happened at Jazz Fest or Mardi Gras before.

This is a change that had to happen. Getting two Mardi Gras reservations from one ownership was nice while it lasted, but its over.

madsr

Reaction score
I called again 3 days later, got a different person and they did split the week into 2 reservations for the same weekend! I guess it's up to who answers the phone...

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called again 3 days later, got a different person and they did split the week into 2 reservations for the same weekend! I guess it's up to who answers the phone...

Good luck with that holding

By the way I had already planned to give 10 avenue plaza weeks back through ovation. I was going to keep the event weeks (one week 8, two week 9s, and one week 18) this new rule has me reconsidering that decision

madsr

Reaction score
Can they not honor the reservation when you have confirmation in hand? One would think legally they have to..
When you give back your weeks through ovation do you get compensation? I would think the event weeks would fetch some $ via a sale. They are hard to come by.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I know about it

I own one week 8 and two week 9s the change is a $2700/ year hit for me
Not really. I'll use the second splits to make essence fest reservations
They don't generate as much rental income but not bad either

turns out I misunderstood the new rule... its no splits for the event weeks and no concurent (overlapping splits) any other time

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can they not honor the reservation when you have confirmation in hand? One would think legally they have to..
When you give back your weeks through ovation do you get compensation? I would think the event weeks would fetch some $ via a sale. They are hard to come by.

Ive seen them back up to correct a mistake

My plan had been to keep the event weeks, but now Im not so sure. I can get those weekends (which is all I want) , including Mardi Gras with Wyndham Points and Worldmark Credits. The advantage with the weeks was that I could get 2 hot weekend reservations for one maintenance fee with the overlapping splits. Now I cant..

But you are right, these should have some value, so I wont use Ovation, Ill try ebay first.. or perhaps some of my regular customers.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Where are these rules? Do I have to login to see them or are they posted somewhere else online?

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I found this post after trying to make a split week overlapping reservation for Essence weekend. The only reason I bought this flex week is so that we can get 2 rooms for the weekend. I am not trying to rent. This has really put a damper on my evening. :-(