TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Autistic visitors can proceed with lawsuits against Disney

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club - DVC' started by RNCollins, Aug 24, 2018.

1. RNCollins

RNCollins TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House
    Autistic visitors can proceed with lawsuits against Disney
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...80770dcddc2_story.html?utm_term=.739e3c38b946

By Mike Schneider / AP / The Washington Post / August 20, 2018

“ORLANDO, Fla. — Visitors with severe autism can move ahead with their lawsuits claiming Disney’s U.S. parks didn’t do enough to accommodate their need for scheduled routines and no waits on its rides, according to a federal appeals court.

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals last week ruled that plaintiffs in 30 lawsuits can proceed in a lower court with their claims against Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, alleging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act. People with severe autism often have difficulties with social interaction and communication and often adhere to rigid routines.

A district judge in Florida had ruled previously that Disney was accommodating the autistic visitors and dismissed the claims in 2016. The autistic visitors appealed to the court in Atlanta.

Under the parks’ current program, Disney allows visitors with disabilities to get a special card giving them an “appointment time” to get on a ride after the specified time with little to no wait. The card allows them to get unlimited “appointment times” throughout the day and allows them to get on rides immediately if the wait is less than 15 minutes. Disney workers also have the discretion to hand out readmission passes to visitors with disabilities, allowing them to get back on a ride immediately....”

368832F7-F988-41C1-AD42-AEAD5902B6DD.jpeg
    Photo: Cory Disbrow—Flickr Vision/Getty Images

2. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DVC (AK, VGF, VGC, Poly, Aulani), WKOVRN, Four Seasons, MVC Trust Points, MVC Marbella and Ko Olina (enrolled weeks)
    Now this is going too far. I am not autistic but I have my own mental problems. I also have meltdowns due to an inability to wait and express distress at small changes in my routine. Autistic folks are not the only ones with this problem. Can I sue Disney too?

I think it is an honor to accommodate people who have mental and physical disabilities, but not a requirement.

In California, disability lawyers are doing drive by's and suing business owners. This is an abuse of the law.

T-Dot-Traveller likes this.
  3. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

This is going to open a can of worms for all amusement parks in the USA, IMHO,

4. mtbmom

mtbmom TUG Member

What more do people want? A private tour guide? Let’s throw in free admission while we’re at it. Ridiculous!

5. blondietink

blondietink Guest

As the mom of an adult with Autism and another adult with Down syndrome, I think this lawsuit has gone too far. There are many people, disabled or not, that have difficulty waiting in lines. What these people in the lawsuit want is immediate access to any ride and multiple times in a row if the disabled person desires. Hopefully they will not win because if they do win, the general population will see increased wait times and animosity towards the disabled population getting preferred treatment. We follow the DAS rules as they are today and along with the FP system, it suits us just fine.

mtm65 and klpca like this.
  6. #1 Cowboys Fan

#1 Cowboys Fan TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Your response is very "fair minded"

7. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    With the size of the crowds at Disney, I can see situations where there could be group after group of Autistic people taking ALL the seats on a ride at one time, then getting back on the same ride again and again. They could effectively hijack the ride for a long time. Fair is fair, but preferential treatment beyond a certain point is unfair to everyone else. (Yes, I realize my example is extreme, but it COULD happen, if enough Autistic people were in the park at the same time.)

Dave