• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Kingsland for a week

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Arrived yesterday mid Iron Man. Roads were blocked so we had to go up the hill and around to get to KL. We hunkered down yesterday due to the traffic being so bad because of the closures.

Woke up this morning to a steady 30 mph wind. It hasn’t stopped all day. Tried Hapuna beach but there was just too much sand blowing around. Currently laying low behind some lava at the KL pool watching my Dodgers on my iPad.

Hopefully this dies down. I’ve got a fishing day planned Thursday.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Other than the traffic issue due the actual race, how busy / crowded does the Waikoloa resort area feel?

Enjoy your trip..

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
KL doesn’t seem too crowded. We haven’t been down to the hotel or ABay yet due to the wind. We headed south today and the wind is calm in Kona. The lady at the fishing charter desk said they refer to it as Waikoblowa because of the persistent wind.

Kona was packed with people for the race but we will see what it is like in the next few hours.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Enjoy your trip!!! We love Kings Land and I can't wait for return trip next year!

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
e932a9431e6ce3bc22fc0582256c5a05.jpg

Had to visit our church where we got hitched 3 years ago.
Hey, that's fantastic! Can you post a picture of the actual event itself???

Mahalo!

Greg

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Other than the traffic issue due the actual race, how busy / crowded does the Waikoloa resort area feel?

Enjoy your trip..

We went over to the hotel today to swim in the lagoon. The hotel seems pretty empty. The Ocean Tower looks empty. It could be because the wind has everyone heading to different parts of the island. Kua bay isn’t far from here and it was dead calm and packed.

We drove all the way to Captain Cook and there was no wind once we left the Waikoblowa area. It’s 20-30 mph today with 50 mph gusts and it’s non stop. It’s still gorgeous here but the wind just adds challenges.

We would love to go back to Hapuna beach but the sand storm won’t allow it. I think we will hit Kua bay tomorrow early enough to get a good parking spot.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Hey, that's fantastic! Can you post a picture of the actual event itself???

Mahalo!

Greg

I’ll work on that. The church is tiny inside!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
thanks for the update. The hotel felt pretty empty when we were there last May. I assume the HGVC conversion of Ocean Tower will help with that.

We had a few windy days on our trip too. Windy enough to blow out the tiki torches at night, and make pool bar less inviting for snacks and drinks, but don't recall the sand blowing around at the beach.

Hope it calms down soon doesn't impact your fishing trip.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We drove South yesterday and no wind at all. Even Kua Bay which is close to Waikoblowa was calm.

The fishing trip is on! We won’t be golfing at KL though.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We woke up this morning to calm. It didn’t last long. The wind is whipping again.

We had a great sunset dinner last night at the Canoe House. We hadn’t been here before and it was fantastic. It’s on the water at the Mauni Lani hotel.

Fishing was nothing more than a long boat ride.

Frasier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC-Mabrisa Carlsbad, CA, HGVC-Bay Club, HI
Red Wolf Lakeside, Lake Tahoe,
We had a great sunset dinner last night at the Canoe House. We hadn’t been here before and it was fantastic. It’s on the water at the Mauni Lani hotel.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Canoe House. We will be over there in November and we were looking at places to eat. They will be on our list to try.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Glad to hear you enjoyed the Canoe House. We will be over there in November and we were looking at places to eat. They will be on our list to try.
You also might want to check out Brown's Beach House, which is on the water at the Orchid, and 'Ulu Ocean Grill, which is at the Four Seasons Hualalai.

There is a very good Italian restaurant in Waikoloa Village, Pueo's Osteria.

Frasier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC-Mabrisa Carlsbad, CA, HGVC-Bay Club, HI
Red Wolf Lakeside, Lake Tahoe,
You also might want to check out Brown's Beach House, which is on the water at the Orchid, and 'Ulu Ocean Grill, which is at the Four Seasons Hualalai.

There is a very good Italian restaurant in Waikoloa Village, Pueo's Osteria.

Thank you I will check those out. We always like a good Italian restaurant.

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
Arrived yesterday mid Iron Man. Roads were blocked so we had to go up the hill and around to get to KL. We hunkered down yesterday due to the traffic being so bad because of the closures.

Woke up this morning to a steady 30 mph wind. It hasn’t stopped all day. Tried Hapuna beach but there was just too much sand blowing around. Currently laying low behind some lava at the KL pool watching my Dodgers on my iPad.

Hopefully this dies down. I’ve got a fishing day planned Thursday.

We have a home in Kona and Waikoloa is known as "WaikoBlowa" to the locals because the north part of the island is usually fairly wildly most times of the year.....

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
This time it was unusually high blowa! 50 mph for a week got a bit old.

We think next trip we might stay down in the Kona area for a different vibe.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was my thought the last time I was on the BI. Kona has so many things to walk to and you don't have the long drive back after having cocktails by the beach that you have when staying in Waikoloa.

I hope you aren't eating any raw fruit and veggies without thoroughly washing them. Stay healthy!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
That was my thought the last time I was on the BI. Kona has so many things to walk to and you don't have the long drive back after having cocktails by the beach that you have when staying in Waikoloa.

I hope you aren't eating any raw fruit and veggies without thoroughly washing them. Stay healthy!

My limes are thoroughly sanitized!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Just ran into some other guests who are also leaving today. Everyone comments on the wind.

And of course it’s dead calm today. Aloha!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This time it was unusually high blowa! 50 mph for a week got a bit old.

Our perfect time on the Big Island was one week in Kona and one week in the Waikoloa resort area.

ontilt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Valdoro x2
Worldmark
e932a9431e6ce3bc22fc0582256c5a05.jpg

Had to visit our church where we got hitched 3 years ago.

Too funny... I enjoy the surf right behind you occasionally. will be out there over Thanksgiving.

bagabonz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Club Waikoloa
I have a picture with my wife in front of that little church too. We always stay in Waikoloa and thankfully have never had that weather problem before. Had too much rain in Kauai and too much vog in South Kona as well as too many koki frogs in Pahoa. It’s normally quite lovely.