• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

As an owner renting to a 3rd party, should I used redweek payments?

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't catch the payment option flag on redweek and by default the redweek payment method was set on.. I've never used it in the past...

Should I accept a rental booking request with redweeks payments or refuse and collect payment on my own?

Possible concerns:
1) As the owner who is renting to someone - I get 0 dollars until 2 days after check-in?
2) The renter cancels close to checkin and redweek is unable to collect - looks like I saw a thread on tug about this and then the headache trying to resolve.
3) The renter makes some outlandish claim it's not what was promised or other issue?

Thanks!

Sparty

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
There is no benefit to you in using the Redweek payment method; the benefits flow 100% to the renter.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Heck NO, don't use Redweek.
.....get contract signed and get UPFRONT payment (at least half) well in advance
(YOU decide when, but I'd say at least 2-3 months in advance or as soon as they express interest)---
spell it out in contract as "non-refundable", and get final half of money a month in advance.
If they want it, they pay, if they're shady they don't, and you don't want them anyway.

I've had great luck this way, and no deal ever fell through...
I have rented from others, and I wanted it locked down, so i had no problem with paying to do so.
IMHO, renters expect to pay, too, and to get a good experience from YOU, so it's worth it to them to pay up front.

"Outlandish claims"?
WHAT????? Spell out what they're getting...that is, a week at your resort, and that's about it.
Let them do the research if they want.
The burden is on them, same as if they booked a hotel!

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Simple answer .... NO.

Redweek is collecting from both parties a paid membership fee. They know the service they provide timeshare owners with both our paid memberships and our AD payments. NOW, Redweek want us owners to PAY a fee collect our money .. but if the buyer backs OUT, we LOSE.

If the renter COMPLAINS to Redweek about the unit they rented from us, we lose? Redweek is a hero and we can't get our AD fees returned NOR the time lost to find a renter WE thought we had.

Paypal is just fine with me ... Redweek is just trying to milk more money from me ... IMHO.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, very useful info! This information may be useful for others: When I hit the "decline" button for booking request it asked if it was because of terms or redweeks payment, I selected it was because of redweek payments and then the redweek site gave a response that because of this reason of declining it was automatically turning off redweeks payments :) It also had a box for comments so I added in the comments I was declining because I didn't want to use redweek payments but would rent otherwise. Not sure if that will get passed back to the person requesting the booking or not, but I hope so and I hope they will rent from me. :)