• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba v. Maui comparison

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Nice review!

I spent several days on Aruba in 2016 before departing on a transatlantic Windstar cruise, which departed from there. I enjoyed the island, but thought it significantly inferior in my view compared to Hawaii. I’ll return on a cruise, or to embark on an cruise, but otherwise see no reason to visit.

We had rented an Airbnb, a car, and drove the entire island (including the beach road in the south). Fun, but can’t see wanting to do it again.

I found that the supermarkets in Aruba, for example, were much closer to European stores than American. Hawaii markets are definitely American. I saw more European cultural history in Aruba than you did, and that’s curious. Hawaii, of course, is unique.

I’m on the west coast, so of course there is a preference to shorter travel days, but the Caribbean is not difficult to visit and requires just one change of plane.

I also had to laugh at your mention of the Hawaii agriculture check when departing with similar weight as security checks... I can’t imagine an easier screening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I also had to laugh at your mention of the Hawaii agriculture check when departing with similar weight as security checks... I can’t imagine an easier screening.
I'd estimate the ag check when leaving Hawaii adds about 15-30 seconds to the airport process. That is, unless you have stuff you shouldn't have.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Funny about the Ag screening. The first time I traveled home from Hawaii, I stood in a looong line to check our bags, only to be told that I needed to go through the Ag screening first. We'd walked right past it... :wall:

Ah, the travails of being a novice traveler.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Funny about the Ag screening. The first time I traveled home from Hawaii, I stood in a looong line to check our bags, only to be told that I needed to go through the Ag screening first. We'd walked right past it... :wall:

Ah, the travails of being a novice traveler.

That’d just the first screening... but yeah, they need better signage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tazzik

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread. I haven't been to Maui yet, but we have been to most of the other Hawaii islands. I certainly agree with the overall comparisons between the two. I loved all of our trips to each of those islands, even though our experiences were very different. Being on the East Coast, Aruba is much easier to get to than Hawaii. So, I do plan on taking the family there again before too long. However, our next trip will primarily just be beach, pool, and dining. I don't think there's a lot of adventure stuff that we did not tick off on the first trip. The beach is so amazing though, that I still think it's worth it. If I lived in California, I'd probably try to hit a different Hawaii island each year. They are all fantastic and unique. However, none of my family wants to do that flight again any time soon, so we'll be hitting the Caribbean again next.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Logistics

Getting to Hawaii from Ohio is an all-day affair on the way there and all-night affair on the way back. Add in a 5 to 6 hour time difference, and I'm zombified by the time I arrive and for a few days after I return. For this reason, I plan to stay at least 10 days in Hawaii, if not longer. Aruba is just one hour difference, so adjusting to the time change is much, much easier. A week's stay is quite doable.

Flight times from most of the East/Midwest to Aruba are very good, with many cities enjoying direct flights. In theory, even with a layover, we could depart at 7am and arrive by 2:30pm Aruba time (3:30pm our time). That's not bad. On the way back, it's not so great (we left at 3:50 and arrived at 11:30pm (10:30pm Aruba time)). But it was mitigated because we were still arising/sleeping on the same schedule. Even though we didn't hit the sheets til 1am, I was able to get up the next day and play tennis at noon. I could never do that following a Hawaiian red eye.

Affordability

Air
For ME, both lodging and airfare were more affordable to Aruba (from Ohio). I easily booked flights with points, which I've done in the past to Hawaii but usually by adjusting my itinerary to arrive and/or depart on a day when Saver flights were available. I didn't have to do this for Aruba. Out of pocket airfares from Ohio to Aruba are ~$700. Hawaii usually averages ~$1000+, so a significant savings if traveling with kids. West Coasters, of course, have a real advantage with cheaper flights and air fare sales to Hawaii.

If I had to choose between a condo on Maui or Aruba, all things being equal, I'd choose Maui. But all things AREN'T equal, and I could actually afford an ocean front condo on Aruba. There's something to be said for that!

I guess the logistics and affordability would depend on where you live on the continent. From OH, it's probably easier and cheaper to get to Aruba than to get to Hawaii. If you live on the Pacific coast like we do, then the opposite is true. We can catch a 6-7 hour non-stop flight from the Vancouver, Bellingham, or Seattle airport. To get to Aruba from those same staring points (cancel out Bellingham on this one) would take at least two legs and usually three. And you are catching red-eyes.

BTW, whey you "[you] could actually afford an ocean front condo on Aruba", do you mean buying or renting?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
LannyPC, yes, getting to Hawaii is much easier (and cheaper) from the West Coast.

LannyPC said:
BTW, whey you "[you] could actually afford an ocean front condo on Aruba", do you mean buying or renting?

Buying. Real estate on Aruba is much more affordable than Maui or Oahu. (Not sure about the other islands because I've never investigated it.)

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been going to Aruba for 31 years. We have been to Maui twice. Although Maui is beautiful it is far more affordable to go to Aruba from the Eastern half of the USA. We now live in Florida, but we used to live in Buffalo, NY. Aruba has guaranteed weather and believe me from Buffalo in the winter we needed that guarantee. This year we are going to go to Aruba for Labor Day weekend as it is guaranteed to get away from the hurricane season and humidity of Sarasota!

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Been to Hawaii many times but not Aruba. Aruba is on my bucket list . I have been to most of the Caribbean islands except the ABC's. I am a beach snob so the sand and water matters to me. Turks, Antigua, Bahamas, have amazing white sand and clear waters. Barbados , Jamaica, and St Lucia are pretty good too. BVI are also on my future bucket list.

Because I live in Dallas I spend most of my beach time in the Caribbean where I can get good flights on AA or SW. My wife likes the sea to be like a warm bath (Cancun in October) growing up on the east coast I like the waves and don't mind the colder waters. A little tired of going to Jamaica and Mexico so we are going back to Hawaii this year. I had a bunch of SW miles and booked free tickets to the west coast and then paid for Hawaiian airlines from there to Maui. Lots of people saving up SW points for Hawaii and those tickets will go fast once they are approved.

I don't ever go to the beach in Texas I prefer Destin or Sarasota.