• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba TSA - departure info

PDX Matthew

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the kiosks are only for Global Entry, not just any trusted traveler program (like TSA Pre).
If you are a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and apply for Nexus, they usually send you a Global Entry card for free (at least they did for me). I'm guessing they probably do the same for Sentri card holders. If you're a Canadian or Mexican Citizen/Resident with one of the cards, I don't think you can use the Global Entry kiosks except at US/Canadian or US/Mexican borders/pre-clearance airports.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
There is no curbside checkin at Queen Beatrix Airport.
I assume they have luggage carts that you can get when you get out of a cab. Can you use those same luggage carts all the way through all the baggage checks until they finally take your bags for good?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you are a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and apply for Nexus, they usually send you a Global Entry card for free (at least they did for me). I'm guessing they probably do the same for Sentri card holders. If you're a Canadian or Mexican Citizen/Resident with one of the cards, I don't think you can use the Global Entry kiosks except at US/Canadian or US/Mexican borders/pre-clearance airports.
There is no need to have a Global Entry card really. For Nexus and Sentry users, you just use your passport at the GE kiosks. There really is no use for an actual GE card that I can really think of.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
We have flown to and from Hawaii a number of times. We pack very heavy with 4 checked bags. At first we would do as we do at other airports and take the lounge to the checkin counter for weighing. However, instead of them putting tags on the bags and taking them to put on a belt for the plane, they would then give them back to you to go to another line for them to be placed on another belt for the plane. Then on another trip we were greeted by a young man who checked us in, put tags on the bags at curbside and said he would take care of them from there. That was much better.

Can we do the same thing coming back from Aruba?

No. Currently, after getting through Aruba customs, you have to claim your luggage and haul it to a second scanner. Apparently, that process will be streamlined sometime in the next few years.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I assume they have luggage carts that you can get when you get out of a cab. Can you use those same luggage carts all the way through all the baggage checks until they finally take your bags for good?

You surrender your luggage at the counter. Then after you pass Aruba customs, you have to reclaim your luggage and haul it to a second scanner. People were surrendering their luggage carts before they entered the US departures building. It's possible that they had more in the first baggage claim area, but I didn't pay attention.

I'm wondering why you need 4 heavy bags, though. We brought our snorkel equipment and food to Aruba, and still only needed 2 large bags and 1 carry-on. Unlike Hawaii, where you may need jackets and nicer clothes, Aruba is very casual and the weather is predictably warm. They joke that their two seasons are: summer and summer.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe the kiosks are only for Global Entry, not just any trusted traveler program (like TSA Pre).

That is correct. My cousins had TSA pre-check and they couldn't use the kiosks. The kiosks are only for those with Global Entry. And, of course, you don't need the actual GE card as it's connected to your passport.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
You surrender your luggage at the counter. Then after you pass Aruba customs, you have to reclaim your luggage and haul it to a second scanner. People were surrendering their luggage carts before they entered the US departures building. It's possible that they had more in the first baggage claim area, but I didn't pay attention.

I'm wondering why you need 4 heavy bags, though. We brought our snorkel equipment and food to Aruba, and still only needed 2 large bags and 1 carry-on. Unlike Hawaii, where you may need jackets and nicer clothes, Aruba is very casual and the weather is predictably warm. They joke that their two seasons are: summer and summer.

We Travel heavy and the same wherever we go. I am sure we could get by with what you do but the stress of downsizing causes concern. I don't want to get into the details of what we pack!

Most people don't need a jacket or nicer clothes in Hawaii either. We are there in the winter and it is usually 75-80 during the day and 65-70 at night. However, we don't have a car so rain gear is essential. Also, I always say that the coldest place in Hawaii is indoors. The air conditioning is over done. We attend a lot of shows, concerts and events at the Hawaii Theatre, Doris Duke Theatre, Honolulu Museum of Art, Blaisdell Concert Hall, the Blue Note Jazz Club, as well as Local Theatre Venues. The Bus, at times, can also be cold. So jackets and clothes other than beachwear is essential.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

So at curbside there are luggage carts for you to put your luggage on. You check in and surrender luggage at the check in counter. Then you pass through Aruba Customs. Then you reclaim your luggage. Can you have the original carts with you while you are doing that to reclaim your luggage? The I assume you go to the US departure building where your luggage needs to be screened again. Why would someone surrender their luggage carts before going to the US departure building since you need to bring your luggage there to be screened again. Finally, at US customs I assure they take your luggage for good.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The I assume you go to the US departure building where your luggage needs to be screened again. Why would someone surrender their luggage carts before going to the US departure building since you need to bring your luggage there to be screened again.

At this point, you've surrendered your checked in bags at the check-in counter. You only reclaim them after you've gone through Aruba customs. You're not supposed to be hauling anything but your carry-on items.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At this point, you've surrendered your checked in bags at the check-in counter. You only reclaim them after you've gone through Aruba customs. You're not supposed to be hauling anything but your carry-on items.

I am not a experienced foreign traveller so please excuse my ignorance. If I understand correctly this is the procedure: You load your bags on luggage carts. You check your bags at the airline counter. However, they don't keep them like in US. You go through Aruba customs and then you get your bags back. You need to then move them to the US Customs building for another luggage and security check. If you have 8 bags how do you do that if you don't have luggage carts any longer since you gave them up when you checked them at the airline counter?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Airport Aruba.com/map has the best explanation for the process that I've found.

https://www.airportaruba.com/map
SNAGHTML24ab28ea.PNG

Look at the legend for "US Bound Passengers" then follow the purple path on the map, beginning at "US Departures" building on the bottom right. Note that the US Departure area is very short walk from the onsite rental car agencies. Assuming you're renting a car, it would undoubtedly be easier for you to be dropped off with your bags in front of the building and then you can wait for the driver to join you.

In any event, in the building marked "US Departures" you will have your luggage weighed and checked-in at your airline's counter, just as you do in the States. You will retrieve all the checked bags, and re-check them in, but not until in step D. For steps A, B, and C. it'll be just you and your carry-on items. Steps A, B, and C are Aruba's immigration and their equivalent of TSA check. ALL departing passengers (including non-US bound passengers) must go through steps A, B and C.

For US bound passengers, you then proceed to the US Customs pre-clearance area. Not many international airports offer this service, and while it is a minor and time-consuming PITA, it saves you from having to go through US Customs once you arrive in the States. The downside is that it requires you to retrieve your checked bags (which at this point have passed Aruba's screening) and haul them (either by hand or by cart) through the US Customs area (steps D,E, and F).

In Step D, you retrieve your checked bags from the designated carousel. I assume in this area they will once again provide luggage carts for those who need them, because you do not surrender them again until you've gone past Customs.

In Step E, you get in the line to be interviewed by US immigration officials, OR if you have Global Entry, you can bypass the line and use a kiosk.

In Step G, you load your checked bags back onto a conveyor belt. From this point forward, you should only have your carry-on items, including any Duty Free bags.

In Step H, you have to queue up once again, this time for the US TSA screening (where they say they honor TSA pre-check, but that wasn't my experience).

After this, you can proceed up the escalator the your gate and to the bars where you can celebrate making it through!

In a few years, they've promised to streamline this procedure so that you don't have to go through two separate checks. But this is it for now.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Airport Aruba.com/map has the best explanation for the process that I've found.

https://www.airportaruba.com/map
SNAGHTML24ab28ea.PNG

Look at the legend for "US Bound Passengers" then follow the purple path on the map, beginning at "US Departures" building on the bottom right. Note that the US Departure area is very short walk from the onsite rental car agencies. Assuming you're renting a car, it would undoubtedly be easier for you to be dropped off with your bags in front of the building and then you can wait for the driver to join you.

In any event, in the building marked "US Departures" you will have your luggage weighed and checked-in at your airline's counter, just as you do in the States. You will retrieve all the checked bags, and re-check them in, but not until in step D. For steps A, B, and C. it'll be just you and your carry-on items. Steps A, B, and C are Aruba's immigration and their equivalent of TSA check. ALL departing passengers (including non-US bound passengers) must go through steps A, B and C.

For US bound passengers, you then proceed to the US Customs pre-clearance area. Not many international airports offer this service, and while it is a minor and time-consuming PITA, it saves you from having to go through US Customs once you arrive in the States. The downside is that it requires you to retrieve your checked bags (which at this point have passed Aruba's screening) and haul them (either by hand or by cart) through the US Customs area (steps D,E, and F).

In Step D, you retrieve your checked bags from the designated carousel. I assume in this area they will once again provide luggage carts for those who need them, because you do not surrender them again until you've gone past Customs.

In Step E, you get in the line to be interviewed by US immigration officials, OR if you have Global Entry, you can bypass the line and use a kiosk.

In Step G, you load your checked bags back onto a conveyor belt. From this point forward, you should only have your carry-on items, including any Duty Free bags.

In Step H, you have to queue up once again, this time for the US TSA screening (where they say they honor TSA pre-check, but that wasn't my experience).

After this, you can proceed up the escalator the your gate and to the bars where you can celebrate making it through!

In a few years, they've promised to streamline this procedure so that you don't have to go through two separate checks. But this is it for now.

Thanks LisaRex for the explanation. It sounds like coming home from one International Flight is the same checks as coming home from two domestic flights. For most countries you do one in the Foreign Country and one in the States. For Aruba they are both done in Aruba.

What about going to Aruba is there double checking thru security of your bags and your person? If so are they both in Aruba or one in the States and one when you land in Aruba?

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no "double-checking" in going to Aruba. Also, the whole process in leaving Aruba was pretty fast on a Thursday afternoon last week. It took less than half an hour from the time we got to the airport to the time we got to our gate. I imagine weekends are a completely different matter.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
We flew from Aruba yesterday (a Wednesday ) . Two hours from time we got dropped off at the curb until we arrived at our gate!! US Customs was really backed up due to what they said was a staff shortage. Was in line for over an hour there. So glad we got there 3 hours ahead of time!!!

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is no "double-checking" in going to Aruba. Also, the whole process in leaving Aruba was pretty fast on a Thursday afternoon last week. It took less than half an hour from the time we got to the airport to the time we got to our gate. I imagine weekends are a completely different matter.

My concern is not the time since we usually get to the airport 3 hours before take off anyway. We don't like to rush. However double handling of 8 bags can be a real pain at our age. We may want to downsize our luggage and shorten the duration of our trip. We usually don't go anywhere for less than 2 weeks so we pack heavy with stuff for cooking and eating most meals in the room. On a trip for less duration we wouldn't have to do that.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My concern is not the time since we usually get to the airport 3 hours before take off anyway. We don't like to rush. However double handling of 8 bags can be a real pain at our age. We may want to downsize our luggage and shorten the duration of our trip. We usually don't go anywhere for less than 2 weeks so we pack heavy with stuff for cooking and eating most meals in the room. On a trip for less duration we wouldn't have to do that.

It's your call, of course, but it would be a real shame to cut your vacation short because you were so anxious about hauling luggage. If you really MUST have some things that aren't provided in a fully stocked timeshare or condo, then consider shipping it to the island to arrive on the 2nd day of your arrival, and then shipping it back home on your final day.

FYI, we traveled throughout Italy and stayed exclusively in hotels this past summer and all I was allowed to bring was a 25" suitcase and a carry-on duffel. And I did it, with clothes to spare! It is actually liberating not to have to haul around all that stuff. I did have to resort to washing my underwear in the sink one night, but I'd packed individual Tide packets and it wasn't a big deal at all.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Since Aruba is the only Caribbean island (that is not a US Territory) that has US Preclearance. It would make sense that no other Caribbean country has TSA Pre Check. Technically Hawaii is also an Island and I am sure that they have TSA Pre Check also.:)
It depends on the airline. Not all airlines participate in TSA recheck. We did not get TSA recheck on our last inter-island flight (Hawaii)...but that was 2 years or so ago.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yesterday we saw people in US customs line with several huge bins on a luggage cart. I assume you can pick one up and put your luggage on it before you go through US customs and wheel the cart around the corner to where you have to drop the luggage off again.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yesterday we saw people in US customs line with several huge bins on a luggage cart. I assume you can pick one up and put your luggage on it before you go through US customs and wheel the cart around the corner to where you have to drop the luggage off again.

The real problem is the rules about leaving your luggage unattended every for a short around the corner. Not that I don't understand the reason for it, however, when traveling with 2 people and 8 pieces of luggage you can't move them without carts without leaving some unattended until you get back to them. We try to follow the rules but making you check your luggage twice is somewhat ridiculous.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's your call, of course, but it would be a real shame to cut your vacation short because you were so anxious about hauling luggage. If you really MUST have some things that aren't provided in a fully stocked timeshare or condo, then consider shipping it to the island to arrive on the 2nd day of your arrival, and then shipping it back home on your final day.

FYI, we traveled throughout Italy and stayed exclusively in hotels this past summer and all I was allowed to bring was a 25" suitcase and a carry-on duffel. And I did it, with clothes to spare! It is actually liberating not to have to haul around all that stuff. I did have to resort to washing my underwear in the sink one night, but I'd packed individual Tide packets and it wasn't a big deal at all.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The real problem is the rules about leaving your luggage unattended every for a short around the corner. Not that I don't understand the reason for it, however, when traveling with 2 people and 8 pieces of luggage you can't move them without carts without leaving some unattended until you get back to them. We try to follow the rules but making you check your luggage twice is somewhat ridiculous.
If they have castors, it is possible to move two pieces of luggage in each hand. Just place them back to back and one person can roll four at one time.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

We are not familiar with traveling international; even though we travel about 150 days each year. One of the reasons we have been reluctant to traveling internationally is that while we are familiar and comfortable with the rules, restrictions, customs of traveling in the US, we are not familiar with them internationally or in each country. I am not sure we want to go out of our way to learn them at this stage of our lives. We enjoy what we are familiar and comfortable with. Surprises, as logical and customary as they may be in another country, are not necessarily what we want to be required to adapt to. We believe in the saying "When in Rome do as the Romans do" however, maybe then we don't want to go to Rome.

While I am not saying that we won't go to Aruba or Tahiti which are both on our bucket list. However, I think that perhaps shorter trips when we pack light to get our feet wet maybe better than the longer trips which we usually take. We have gone on 3 days trips with just a carry on so it can be done.