• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Arizona proposed changes to rescission periods!

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
90% between 15-30 days would be reasonable.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish the other 49 states would follow this policy.
...and Mexico. That would give the purchaser time to mull over the purchase after he got home and not just while on vacation in vacation mode. And it would give him time to find TUG. ;)

The 90% refund if not used within the first year would probably also curb the supposed "need" for these cancellation/exit companies. After all, how many newbies, and how often, come on these boards a few weeks or so after their rescission period elapsed asking for help and then ask "Have you heard of [said cancellation company] that says they can help me out of my timeshare purchase"?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Bargain resale timeshares are outstanding.

Full freight, not so much.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Commissions have been paid. Financing has been arranged. Construction loans have been amortized. Title companies have been paid. On and on.

And those bonuses like points, stays, etc. that they bundle in with it. I guess those would have to be delayed so as to not get you them until the period has passed. That could hurt the consumer a little.

I am not sure it will have a massive effect. We on Tug always assume a person is rushed and wants to go find out if what they did was ok. I would expect a small number of additional "returns", which is still a good thing don't get me wrong. I just doubt most people second guess. We see the exceptions here on Tug, and for those that just missed their date, etc., sure, it would help them.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
perhaps even a "tiered" refund solution would be acceptable based on the time it takes a person to rescind (up until their first actual use of the product).

100% refund within 30 days...ramping down to say only a 20% refund after 6-12 months...

(note im just spitballing numbers)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
well it appears this proposal was effectively gutted to the core and contains next to none of the groundbreaking proposals that would truly have helped consumers.

https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2019/04/16/timeshares-bill-gets-preliminary-senate-approval/

I suppose getting 3 extra days of rescission period is SOMETHING...but otherwise it seems developer/arda money was successful at lobbying arizona politicians.

Sad but not unexpected. The glass half full says it’s a start, though.

I couldn’t tell - did the following remain in the bill, or was it taken out?

“There were some protections for sellers, including permission to charge a cancellation fee of up to 10 percent of the purchase price and allowing sellers to charge regularly scheduled assessments for one year after cancellation.”

I sure hope it applied to cancellations, not rescissions, and came out, if all the buyers got was an extra 3 days to rescind!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
ARDA once again shows that it is a lie that they are there to protect the little guys as well as the Developers.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sadly the watered down version is the one that got signed into law today in Arizona...

while I suppose any improvement should be applauded, none of this seems like it will make any significant difference as all the items that they now require to be "made clear" to the customers....only have to be done in writing and will no doubt be buried in the contract they know noone reads anyway.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mon...na-law-rights-cancel-heretohelpaz/1211444001/

no surprise whatsoever that ARDA swooped in to gut this bill of anything that would have impacted the developers.