• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are you catching flak from friends & family because you watch zombies?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Cliff always hollers at me from the other room "What the heck are you watching??!!" when I have The Walking Dead or Fear the Walking Dead on. Below are links to a six part series the LA Times published called Dirty John about a woman who gets involved with the wrong man. Horrifying and fascinating all at the same time. The zombie connection is in Part Six, but I'd suggest reading it from the beginning so as to not spoil the story.

http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=2bec71c7-5d20-4c5a-96e7-5f188a6fae0f Part 1

[URL='http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=7e1afc35-b17c-401a-972e-1e67e000f231']http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=7e1afc35-b17c-401a-972e-1e67e000f231 Part 2
[/URL]
[URL='http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=7e1afc35-b17c-401a-972e-1e67e000f231']
[URL]http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=68ac09ea-fc39-4a97-951b-bb199c955150
Part 3[/URL][/URL]
[URL='http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=7e1afc35-b17c-401a-972e-1e67e000f231'][/URL]
[URL='http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=7e1afc35-b17c-401a-972e-1e67e000f231'][URL='http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=b5371e42-c8a3-413e-bef5-477fe8227b44']http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=b5371e42-c8a3-413e-bef5-477fe8227b44 Part 4[/URL][/URL]
[URL='http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=7e1afc35-b17c-401a-972e-1e67e000f231'][/URL]
[URL='http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=7e1afc35-b17c-401a-972e-1e67e000f231'][URL='http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=b5371e42-c8a3-413e-bef5-477fe8227b44'][URL]http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=6eeb144c-094e-41c1-961e-fc958bff4afa Part 5[/URL][/URL][/URL]
[URL='http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=7e1afc35-b17c-401a-972e-1e67e000f231'][URL='http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=b5371e42-c8a3-413e-bef5-477fe8227b44']
[URL='http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=809d6ce3-aad1-4f55-afba-bf82c05397c8']http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=809d6ce3-aad1-4f55-afba-bf82c05397c8 Part6
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Nope, can't say I've ever watched a zombie ... except for zombie-code when I was wrote software.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No zombie, no horror, no blood and gore, no obsenity and no nudity for me. "G" rating is best to describe what I like and because of that I also sleep better at night.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
No zombie, no horror, no blood and gore, no obscenity and no nudity for me. "G" rating is best to describe what I like...

That's okay, but that's a Disney-esque Fantasyland sort of reality. The fact is, we don't live in a "G"-rated society (never did). We live in a world where people are injured, killed, nasty to each other, discharge excrement, have sex and occasionally do remove their clothes. Avert your eyes if you must, but sometimes it helps to see who and what we are.

Vampires, werewolves and zombies may seem like a silly genre, but these mythical beings reflect real human fears. Vampires are like people who may seem charming at first, but then latch onto you and suck the life out of you. Similarly, werewolves may wear sheep's clothing but under the light of a full moon, their true selves are revealed. Zombies represent what we'd fear we'd become without the life-blood of our spirit and humanity. IOW, we sense a connection with these creatures.

Is it overdone and overwrought, with too much blood & gore? Sure, but it can also be entertaining.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
lost interest in the show many seasons ago....they seemed to develop a knack for only progressing the storyline 5 minutes with an hour long show.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
To my mind, there is a most interesting compare and contrast with the "Vegas Shooting" thread. Apparently sometimes blood and gore is "entertaining" and sometimes "blood and gore" is an international tragedy. Fantasy versus reality. Unfortunately, some disturbed individuals cannot distinguish the two and take fantasy to reality.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Vampires, werewolves and zombies may seem like a silly genre, but these mythical beings reflect real human fears. Vampires are like people who may seem charming at first, but then latch onto you and suck the life out of you. Similarly, werewolves may wear sheep's clothing but under the light of a full moon, their true selves are revealed. Zombies represent what we'd fear we'd become without the life-blood of our spirit and humanity. IOW, we sense a connection with these creatures

The poor woman in the Times story certainly let a real life monster into her life and that of her children. Lucky her daughter was a Walking Dead fan and was able to defend herself. Many women, including the man's sisters, can now sleep at night and be thankful that she did.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's okay, but that's a Disney-esque Fantasyland sort of reality. The fact is, we don't live in a "G"-rated society (never did). We live in a world where people are injured, killed, nasty to each other, discharge excrement, have sex and occasionally do remove their clothes. Avert your eyes if you must, but sometimes it helps to see who and what we are.

Vampires, werewolves and zombies may seem like a silly genre, but these mythical beings reflect real human fears. Vampires are like people who may seem charming at first, but then latch onto you and suck the life out of you. Similarly, werewolves may wear sheep's clothing but under the light of a full moon, their true selves are revealed. Zombies represent what we'd fear we'd become without the life-blood of our spirit and humanity. IOW, we sense a connection with these creatures.

Is it overdone and overwrought, with too much blood & gore? Sure, but it can also be entertaining.

The real world is harsh enough and we do not need to bring them into our living room. Horror may be with blood or without and is intended to shock our system. Not for me. Obviously we are all different people with different tastes and different things make us tick.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
The real world is harsh enough and we do not need to bring them into our living room. Horror may be with blood or without and is intended to shock our system. Not for me. Obviously we are all different people with different tastes and different things make us tick.
Agreed.

For me, I endeavor to guard my heart and mind. I certainly do not need to invite Hollywood frights/thrills/terrors into my imagination.
Philippians 4:8 (NIV) said:
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason that Navy Seals and other special forces soldiers train with live ammo under real life scenerios is to be able to become inured to the circumstances and think calmly and rationally when the actual fight is playing out.

Unless you watch the zombie shows and learn how the characters think through the issues when attacked by zombies, how will you be able to think rationally and calmly when the real zombies start attacking us??

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The reason that Navy Seals and other special forces soldiers train with live ammo under real life scenerios is to be able to become inured to the circumstances and think calmly and rationally when the actual fight is playing out.

Unless you watch the zombie shows and learn how the characters think through the issues when attacked by zombies, how will you be able to think rationally and calmly when the real zombies start attacking us??
While I'm guessing your post, overall, is in jest -- I will say that Navy Seals, special forces, first responders (and the like) are truly special people to have trained under conditions that would leave many of us freaked out, worn through, and frayed. Indeed, it appears even they have sacrificed 'peace of mind' for their duty and continue to battle, long after duty, waves of anxiety. May God guard and protect their lives, minds and spirits.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
To my mind, there is a most interesting compare and contrast with the "Vegas Shooting" thread. Apparently sometimes blood and gore is "entertaining" and sometimes "blood and gore" is an international tragedy. Fantasy versus reality. Unfortunately, some disturbed individuals cannot distinguish the two and take fantasy to reality.

And did you notice which concert the girl was going to before she was attacked? Jason Aldean (who I'd never heard of before Oct 1st, and now here he is popping up in this story).

geekette

Reaction score
No, I don't watch zombie or vampire stuff. But, since my brother was visiting this weekend, I did dvr a weird movie called Zombie Strippers (my NBC is out during contract fights so no Sunday Night Football for us). It was funny in a really bad movie type of way. The big message for me was that guys will even shell throw dollars for blood and pustule covered nearly-naked dead chicks with bloody holes in their necks. They also don't notice that their buddies never returned after being selected by one of these dancers. Men are weird. But zombie strippers are weirder.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
So you believe that by watching shows like this will make the viewers braver and know how to fight off attackers in real life?

I was a sharp shooter while in school and had won competitions. I do not know if having experience with handling of arms has made me any more prepared in a real life situation and I hope not to be tested. Watching tv or even being trained in school is different from real life scenarios. Otherwise, Navy Seals would only need to watch tv.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So you believe that by watching shows like this will make the viewers braver and know how to fight off attackers in real life?

Ask any soldier or professional athlete, you need to visualize actually reacting to the zombies, you can't just watch as if the zombie was attacking someone else or else watching film is ineffective.

Moreover, I strongly suspect I'll be ready because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Last edited:

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My husband thinks I play too much "Plants VS Zombies"! :rolleyes:

planzfortomorrow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I watch quite a few zombie shows, and yes, I get flak from others who do not watch. The background zombie noises in TWD are VERY noticeable to anyone in another room who isn't watching the show. I never thought I'd like the walking dead, but I do. The zombies are actually more 'background scenery,' and the show's not so much about zombies but more about human behavior.

And, you know when you've bing-watched too much zombie shows when you start looking at all the weapons--err, tools at Lowes and thinking which ones would work against the zombies. And when you're driving to/from your timeshare, and see various houses/hotels/structures and you know immediately which would be great and which would be horrible to defend from zombie hordes.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I watch quite a few zombie shows, and yes, I get flak from others who do not watch. The background zombie noises in TWD are VERY noticeable to anyone in another room who isn't watching the show. I never thought I'd like the walking dead, but I do. The zombies are actually more 'background scenery,' and the show's not so much about zombies but more about human behavior.

And, you know when you've bing-watched too much zombie shows when you start looking at all the weapons--err, tools at Lowes and thinking which ones would work against the zombies. And when you're driving to/from your timeshare, and see various houses/hotels/structures and you know immediately which would be great and which would be horrible to defend from zombie hordes.
Chuckle. You folks are wierd.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

After a dozen episodes or so I found I didn't even "hear" the zombies, where early on I would hit mute if there was no dialog. The "squelches" when a knife or ax goes into a zombie brain bothered me too, now water off a beagle's back. The human interaction is what is interesting, and I do enjoy when a new and different way to dispatch a zombie is used.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Pre-thought and pre-planning are necessary to survive and succeed. We are prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse. Actually the Cascadia Subduction Zone Earthquake.