• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are TS The Next Frontier in Travel Hacking [Article]

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Shhhhhhh.......:p

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I agree with the 'tremendous value' closing line, but what the heck is this:
"The exchange rates for timeshares do not change as frequently and some exchange rate changes are extremely rare. "

I think he means the cost of exchanging. If so, he's wearing blinders!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I agree with the premise that credit card churning and other MS hacks have jumped the shark. Most of the travel bloggers are compensated for shilling travel credit cards so I take their hyperbole with a grain of salt.

With the exception of Chase Ultimate Rewards, I am encountering diminishing travel options with airline and hotel mile cards. Will hold on to a few to get free nights and free baggage but will sock drawer and not pursue new miles cards. We are now pursuing cash back credit cards for base spending and 5% categories for bonus spend. Cash is king and makes life much simpler. Will continue to "hack" our TS options thanks to TUG.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
"The exchange rates for timeshares do not change as frequently and some exchange rate changes are extremely rare. "

I read that as comparing timeshare points to hotel points, for example (since throughout the article he is comparing timeshares to other types of reward points). I think he was trying to say that, for example, 2000 Hyatt points will get you the same accommodation today that it did 10 years ago, but but on the hotel side, what you could get for 50,000 points 10 years ago is quite a bit different than what those points will buy you today.

Maybe? Just a thought.

Kurt

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
To paraphrase, “If you buy a quality timeshare at a low price, you can get tremendous vale.”

Gee, really?

Cheers

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)

I think what he meant is that in a point based system such as Worldmark or even HGVC the number of system points you need to use a specific type of unit in a specific resort at a specific time don't typically change.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I think what he meant is that in a point based system such as Worldmark or even HGVC the number of system points you need to use a specific type of unit in a specific resort at a specific time don't typically change.

Taterhed is correct, the cost is rising. With the increase in maintenance, exchange and activity fees to go along with rising club dues and other fees, my 7000 HGVC points won’t be as good of a deal ten years from now as they are currently.

The articles author is correct in that it’s all about how you use your points. Using the hacks, staying in gold seasons or even shorter vacations here and there really increase the value of your points.

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After I read this article, I was reminded of how we used to get multitudes of free travel by volunteering to be "bumped" on spring break flights. We'd book the earliest flight to Atlanta, be the first ones at the desk and say we wanted to volunteer (four of us), and they'd book us on the next flight and give us anywhere from $400 to $700 worth of flight dollars PER PERSON. We'd do this as many as four times to get to Atlanta, and then do it again in Atlanta. Sometimes we'd spend the night (at the airlines expense) and arrive the next day. Then we'd do the same thing on the way back. We flew free for years by doing this. Now if you volunteer to be bumped, they only put you on the next flight that has a vacancy. Oh well, fun while it lasted!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
After I read this article, I was reminded of how we used to get multitudes of free travel by volunteering to be "bumped" on spring break flights. We'd book the earliest flight to Atlanta, be the first ones at the desk and say we wanted to volunteer (four of us), and they'd book us on the next flight and give us anywhere from $400 to $700 worth of flight dollars PER PERSON. We'd do this as many as four times to get to Atlanta, and then do it again in Atlanta. Sometimes we'd spend the night (at the airlines expense) and arrive the next day. Then we'd do the same thing on the way back. We flew free for years by doing this. Now if you volunteer to be bumped, they only put you on the next flight that has a vacancy. Oh well, fun while it lasted!

On our way back from our honeymoon in Cancun, we arrived early so I could get an exit row seat. Now I’m a former college offensive lineman who is 6’7” tall and, at the time, weighed about 275 lbs so an exit row seat was really great for me. When we arrived, they asked us if were willing to be bumped up to an earlier flight. We asked if we would be next to each other in an exit row. They said that wasn’t possible. We politely declined. They then offered us 1st class the entire trip back to Detroit. Great way to come home from our honeymoon!

I’m not seeing those type of offers anymore when we fly.

Lanswitch

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas South
The Gardens at West Maui
Many, I mean MANY, years ago my wife and I used United miles to fly from Chicago to Hawaii in First class (yes, I used to fly a lot for business on United) and when we arrived at O’Hare the curbside baggage valet told us that there had been a change of equipment and, since the replacement plane was smaller, we probably wouldn’t be in First Class.
Sure enough, when we got to the gate, the agent confirmed that we no longer had First Class seating. When I demanded that I be refunded the additional miles I had burned to be able to fly in First Class, she said that she couldn’t do that but to please accept $1,000 (probably $4,000 in today’s money) in travel vouchers to just get on the plane, PLEASE!
We looked at each other, accepted and thereby paid our next Hawaiian vacation the following year.
I don’t fly as much any longer but use credit cards to accumulate miles as most people do nowadays.

Also, when I used to fly for business, I would regularly volunteer to be bumped on my return home flights and received MANY free tickets as a result.

davevt98

TUG Member
Reaction score

Interesting article. I read this to mean that the exchange charts do not typically change. It still costs the same about of HRC points to exchange through Interval as it did 10 years ago. The cost to exchange keeps going up and the maintenance fees keep going up but the exchange rate is a lot more constant than hotel and frequent flyer points.