• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are the auto upgrades working for anyone?

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding example number 1, I did not see any 4 bedrooms showing as available. Therefore, it appears it is doing what it considers a view upgrade.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Hit or miss is the same thing as unpredictable. Both mean it doesn't work like it should.

Funny, actually not the least bit funny, is that one thing that works like it should is Wyndham collecting our maintenance fees. If for some reason there is ever an issue with that you can count on it being in their favor.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Regarding your example number 2, the following instant upgrade is showing for me. I am a non-Presidential Reserve VIP Plat member. I have never ruled out that different Wyndham Destinations point type may see different available at 10 months and under, including instant upgrades and automatic upgrades.

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, Florida

• CHECK-IN Dec 15, 2018 4pm

• CHECK OUT Dec 22, 2018 10am

• PRICE
    MORE
    84,000 42,000 Points
  • UNIT TYPE 1 Bedroom Lower Level

• Managed By Wyndham | Panama City Beach

• UPGRADE Upgraded - Oct 28, 2018

How is you citing examples of the times it works for you of any help whatsoever to the people it isn't working for? You don't seem to grasp that you appear to be denying that there are problems and this is clearly very irritating to the people experiencing problems. There are plenty of people it isn't working correctly for and you appear to be rubbing their noses in it by demonstrating how it works for you. Unless you are exactly duplicating the reservations and dates other people have given as examples and able to show it worked for you then these examples you keep posting really aren't relevant. Maybe you are focusing on how the person who started this thread titled it but if you read what she posted that clearly isn't her intent nor appropriate to what other people on this thread are posting.

Last edited:

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding example 3, here is what is showing for me"

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Daytona Beach, Florida

• PRICE
    MORE
    94,500 47,250 Points
  • UNIT TYPE 2 Bedroom Deluxe

• Managed By Wyndham

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have had examples were it works, but I have had just as many that did not work.

There are places where the logic makes no sense, Emerald Grande, where you can upgrade within a room size, and Austin where Studios and 1 BRs have the same occupancy, but you can only upgrade from a ST to a 1 BR. But you can Upgrade from a 1 BR to a 2 BR P. Yet other locations you can only upgrade based on number of BRs.

I think it is the inconsistency and non-transparency that bothers me. Wish they would just publish the upgrade path for each location. At least we could understand it.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I have had examples were it works, but I have had just as many that did not work.

There are places where the logic makes no sense, Emerald Grande, where you can upgrade within a room size, and Austin where Studios and 1 BRs have the same occupancy, but you can only upgrade from a ST to a 1 BR. But you can Upgrade from a 1 BR to a 2 BR P. Yet other locations you can only upgrade based on number of BRs.

I think it is the inconsistency and non-transparency that bothers me. Wish they would just publish the upgrade path for each location. At least we could understand it.

Or have one upgrade path period. So maybe always go with, the next level up in points. So if you a resort has a studio and studio deluxe, and you book a studio, they upgrade you to a studio deluxe. If you have a studio deluxe, they upgrade you to one bedroom. If you have a one bedroom, then they upgrade you to the one bedroom deluxe. Or, if the next level of points is not available, it looks for the next level up and keeps going until it finds an upgrade available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Regarding example number 1, I did not see any 4 bedrooms showing as available. Therefore, it appears it is doing what it considers a view upgrade.

It is the "it considers a view upgrade" that I take issue with. Bay views face north -- no view of the harbor, no view of the Gulf of Mexico. No chance that it is an upgrade from pool view.

All the "Plus" units at Emerald Grande are larger than the Deluxe units. But they all have three bedrooms, which goes against the conventional wisdom that an upgrade means more bedrooms.

Neither the 3BR Plus Bay View nor the 3BR Plus Harbor View will upgrade to the available 3BR Presidential unit.

If you had said instant upgrades work sporadically, I would agree. But a categorical statement that instant upgrades work is simply wrong.

Last edited:

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that it looked for a higher sleeping capacity.

And personally I think that PCB is working wonky because they don't know if they are full open, 25% discount, or donating housing to first responders.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I thought that it looked for a higher sleeping capacity.

And personally I think that PCB is working wonky because they don't know if they are full open, 25% discount, or donating housing to first responders.

Higher sleeping capacity would be a reasonable way to describe an upgrade but it doesn't work at Emerald Grande. All the 3BR units list max occupancy as eight.

PCB has been wonky all year. The hurricane hasn't helped but it is not the cause of the wonkiness.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Higher number of bedrooms and or view are the two factors I am seeing.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Higher sleeping capacity would be a reasonable way to describe an upgrade but it doesn't work at Emerald Grande. All the 3BR units list max occupancy as eight.

PCB has been wonky all year. The hurricane hasn't helped but it is not the cause of the wonkiness.

Nor does it work in Austin.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Regarding example 3, here is what is showing for me"

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Daytona Beach, Florida

• PRICE
    MORE
    94,500 47,250 Points
  • UNIT TYPE 2 Bedroom Deluxe

• Managed By Wyndham

What did you upgrade from? This look like exactly my Example #3.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Example 3: Ocean Walk, December 15-22. The 1 Bedroom doesn't upgrade to anything. But, the 1BR Suite, a lower rated unit, will upgrade to a 2BR Deluxe. So will the 1BR Deluxe. The 2BR Deluxe will not upgrade to the 2BR Lock Off. So, there is no way to upgrade to the 2BR Lock Off."

The example indicated that a 1 Bedroom did not upgrade to anything. It was for me.

Last edited:

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what is showing for me as available for your dates. I do not see any 2 bedroom lock-offs as being available.

Select Available Unit
MORE INFORMATION

Managed By Wyndham

• Staying7 Nights
    1 Bedroom VIP Benefits Apply UNIT DETAILS

• Staying7 Nights
    1 Bedroom Deluxe VIP Benefits Apply UNIT DETAILS
  • Staying7 Nights
    1 Bedroom Suite VIP Benefits Apply UNIT DETAILS

• Staying7 Nights
    2 Bedroom Deluxe VIP Benefits Apply UNIT DETAILS

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is what is showing for me as available for your dates. I do not see any 2 bedroom lock-offs as being available.

Select Available Unit
MORE INFORMATION

Managed By Wyndham

• Staying7 Nights
    1 Bedroom VIP Benefits Apply UNIT DETAILS

• Staying7 Nights
    1 Bedroom Deluxe VIP Benefits Apply UNIT DETAILS
  • Staying7 Nights
    1 Bedroom Suite VIP Benefits Apply UNIT DETAILS

• Staying7 Nights
    2 Bedroom Deluxe VIP Benefits Apply UNIT DETAILS

I have no idea what is going on with upgrades. I still say that the fact that instant upgrades work some of the time doesn't mean they work all of the time.

Now it appears it works differently for different owners. If so, that makes it even worse.

There are enough people who have the same experiences I have to make the point.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A point well taken. In my mind, I have not ruled out that different people see different things for a number of different reasons.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
Most definitely all it did was add more costs for nothing helpful. Finally seeing the lies that sound promising only to find it a delusion .

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I had not seen an auto upgrade in quite some time.

Last night got an auto upgrade at the Emerald Grande for a couple nights Thanksgiving week. I also see a 1 bedroom back out there (could be my original room being released).

They're working, they're working! :banana::cheer::hi::clap::wall::crash::wall::whooopie:

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to piece together a Thanksgiving week stay for myself and it is just not happening. Upgrades are not showing and not coming in at all. I have around 10 two day reservations from Thanksgiving through first part of December and nothing is upgrading.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is Thanksgiving week, more or less, that is showing:

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, Florida

• CHECK-IN Nov 19, 2018 4pm

• CHECK OUT Nov 26, 2018 10am

• PRICE
    MORE
    96,000 48,000 Points
  • UNIT TYPE Studio Upper Level

• Managed By Wyndham | Panama City Beach

• UPGRADE Upgraded - Oct 31, 2018

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I was able to pick up some decent instant upgrades at Panama City Thanksgiving week.

Things seemed to work as I expected them to. There are so many different type rooms there, the paths are "interesting". But made as much sense as anything does today with the upgrades.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was able to pick up some decent instant upgrades at Panama City Thanksgiving week.

Things seemed to work as I expected them to. There are so many different type rooms there, the paths are "interesting". But made as much sense as anything does today with the upgrades.

I canceled all my PCB weeks in November and December. They were all 2BR Pres instant upgraded from Studios or 1BR LLs. I wouldn't have been able to tell a renter that all is well in PCB.

You're right! Trying to find the cheapest unit that will upgrade to at least a 2BR Presidential takes some clicking. And waiting.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I totally agree with you, I guess, lol. I wouldn't want to be renting to someone not aware of the hurricane situation in the area. And unless directly affected, most people have already forgotten about Hurricane Michael. When I went down to cleanup my Dad's house, all I heard was 'oh, have fun' or 'oh, lucky you'.

October, sans the hurricanes, has always been my favorite time to go. The crowds are gone, the water's still warm.

On the other hand, it is shoulder season at PCB. I was there a week ago. I really didn't feel the beach is all that different than it usually is, this time of year. It's slow, some bars and restaurants are closed. Kind of normal for off season, isn't it? The hurricane damage was not bad on the beach side of the bridge.

For the beach, a big concern around the hurricane, IMO, is that PCB'ers were whining they couldn't buy or serve alcohol during curfew while the folks across the bridge in Panama City had no water or electricity. The damage is leaps and bounds worse across the bridge.

And you're right, Jim, it is really cumbersome trying to figure out how things will upgrade. Lots of room for improvement in that area, for sure.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I had an interesting conversation today with WYN Owner Care.

I had a reservation for a 1 Bedroom Deluxe at Bonnet Creek and had opted in for an upgrade.

This morning, a 2 Bedroom Deluxe was available on the website. My 1 BR had not auto upgraded.

I booked the 2 Bedroom (this happened before OC opened).

I called and was told there isn't anything they could do and no compensation for the difference in points (I asked that they cancel the 1 Bedroom and reimburse the points difference between a 1 Bedroom and 2 Bedroom).

OC's words:
* I'm not in IT, so I can't really explain, but
* Someone else is ahead of you for an upgrade, it takes time for the upgrades to process
* When I said, but anyone can book the 2 bedroom he'd agreed and said, no one is guaranteed an upgrade

My words:
* I am in IT
* This is poor requirements, poor design, poor coding, and/or poor testing
* This is not how this should work and shame on Wyndham to think this is acceptable

So, they do think it's working. What a sham.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an interesting conversation today with WYN Owner Care.

I had a reservation for a 1 Bedroom Deluxe at Bonnet Creek and had opted in for an upgrade.

This morning, a 2 Bedroom Deluxe was available on the website. My 1 BR had not auto upgraded.

I booked the 2 Bedroom (this happened before OC opened).

I called and was told there isn't anything they could do and no compensation for the difference in points (I asked that they cancel the 1 Bedroom and reimburse the points difference between a 1 Bedroom and 2 Bedroom).

OC's words:
* I'm not in IT, so I can't really explain, but
* Someone else is ahead of you for an upgrade, it takes time for the upgrades to process
* When I said, but anyone can book the 2 bedroom he'd agreed and said, no one is guaranteed an upgrade

My words:
* I am in IT
* This is poor requirements, poor design, poor coding, and/or poor testing
* This is not how this should work and shame on Wyndham to think this is acceptable

So, they do think it's working. What a sham.

This makes sense that no one is guaranteed an upgrade, except Wyndham. If canceled reservations appear back in inventory in real time and someone else picked it up , as the reason for never seeing it back in inventory.. How can you possibly get an upgrade.. Seems to be conflicting information..