• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ARDA page "responsibleexit.com"

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Meanwhile I’m still trying to get SDO to take the $5.00 they put on my invoice and it’s always a 4-6 phone call experience each year
If this is truly an exit program that ARDA set up, I will gladly give them my $5 that is added to my maintenance fees. I have been taking it off.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont think arda has much to do with it vs the individual companies all beginning to fight back against "cancellation" firms...

but certainly kudos for taking the time to make the website...if not actually willing to promote it in any meaningful way to owners!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I also don't think all or even any of the resort systems on the list have a no questions asked take back departments even for paid off resorts. I think that the list just means they have at least one employee set up to talk to you about the possibility of doing a deed back for a paid off deed. Even Wyndham that has one of the largest exit programs has a few resorts that it won't take.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Meanwhile I’m still trying to get SDO to take the $5.00 they put on my invoice and it’s always a 4-6 phone call experience each year
I usually ignore it and by February it is gone.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I usually ignore it and by February it is gone.

I did that last year and they charged me a late fee since I paid my balance minus the $5.00 ARDA charge. That took even longer to get off my account

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
that sucks.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I also don't think all or even any of the resort systems on the list have a no questions asked take back departments even for paid off resorts. I think that the list just means they have at least one employee set up to talk to you about the possibility of doing a deed back for a paid off deed. Even Wyndham that has one of the largest exit programs has a few resorts that it won't take.

Unless you count the trade in program, this is the first I have heard of HGVC having deedback. I know they will take back a unit for equity on a more expensive one, but do they have a program where they will take back an unwanted timeshare? I'm sure they will take back a premium unit (one that can be sold pretty easily), but do they have an actual program for deedbacks?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ive not heard of any official one either...but it could simply be the case of like most other major developers...even hilton would take back a prime/high demand/high value week any time!

however owners of those arent in the situation where they need to surrender those back and could easily sell!

I can cross my fingers and hope like with the others, they have some un-advertised program for those owners who actually NEED it to surrender...but that you simply have to get to the right person to talk to (hopefully thru these links)

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
With great anticipation that resorts will actually start offering an exit for owners :rolleyes:, what about having a sticky with the names of resorts and/or systems that will take back deeds? I don't want to pile on extra work for you, Brian, but it would be helpful to have one searchable thread to see if any progress is being made. Tuggers could report on resorts that offer an exit, their contact info, the necessary steps, and any costs.

For example, Diamond Resorts started to let owners give back deeds for a fee in 2016. In 2015, Raintree Vacation Club let members cut contracts from 25 years down to 7 years, again for a fee. I believe Solmar Group in Mexico offers a limited exit program now... It would be nice to have a list that owners could quickly check to see if there is any hope of getting out of a contract.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we have that thread somewhere...the issue is it changes so much and folks tend to get angry when they read about such a program and they get rejected etc.

i had recently updated this article to include the major players, i might add the arda page again if it turns out its actually legitimate with the other programs listed:

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/give_back_timeshare.html

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel any prime week a developer will take back. When we first started week 16 was not a major prime week. Now week 16 is a major prime week its falls sometime near Easter and colleges spring break on the east coast.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
how have I not seen this before?

this page seems to imply that all the resorts that are "participating developers" have some sort of owner exit program available, most are the ones already known but I see some others that I had previously not known had deedback programs.

if true, this is a fantastic boon for owners looking to exit many ownerships that have trouble selling on the resale market!

https://responsibleexit.com/

developers include:

bluegreen
capital resorts
wyndham
diamond
HGVC
HIVC
Hyatt
Margaritaville (wyndham)
marriott
shell
sheraton
vistana
welk resorts
westgate
westin
worldmark

again, most of these have had surrender programs for awahile, but there are a few in there that ive never seen an official announcement for. would be worth a shot to reference this page for any owner trying to exit from the above and failing to do so in the resale market!

My 6 HGVC timeshares are covered by this developer agreement, however, my Vacation Village timeshare isn't. This certainly makes me feel better about my HGVC purchases, and if I was in the market for additional timeshares, additional HGVC purchases. It doesn't make me feel so comfortable with my Vacation Village purchase. My thinking is that if a developer will not take back what they are selling me for $0 then how much is what they are selling me really worth; less than worthless? Instead of the timeshare industry getting such a bad name for selling a product that is less than worthless, you can't get rid of, and will cost you money forever, perhaps this is something that should be further publicized with the goal to promote those who sign the agreement and stay away from those that don't.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
This is interesting and I have not heard of HGVC buy-back program before. I did click on the link to HGVC and see that the buy-back program lists third-party options and HGVC may decide to acquire your vacation ownership interest from you with no additional fees after determining which vacation ownership is eligible. To me this means that HGVC will only buy back those resorts/weeks which it wants. So I agree with what others have already stated concerning HGVC, it will only buy back those units which it wants and can probably be sold for some price on the resale market. But, it is worth attempting first if you want to get rid of your ownership.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yea thats kinda what i figured, and is very disappointing.

if that is the case for hilton/marriott/etc....its not really anything useful at all for the majority of owners who would actually need these sorts of programs.

I was truly hoping that owners stuck with mud weeks in these systems could reference this page and actually get help, but that doesnt appear to be the case. (still hope to be proven wrong though)

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
You have to wonder why they even made this website if it won’t help owners stuck with weeks.

Ultimately if no real help is offered it is a slick way for the systems to get good weeks they can resell for free or maybe even get paid to take them. I was going to say unbelievable but sadly very believable.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
You have to wonder why they even made this website if it won’t help owners stuck with weeks.

Ultimately if no real help is offered it is a slick way for the systems to get good weeks they can resell for free or maybe even get paid to take them. I was going to say unbelievable but sadly very believable.

It makes them look good in the process. It shows they are “doing something” to help these owners that are stuck with these undesirable intervals.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
that would certainly fall right in line with the usual ARDA M.O.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was truly hoping that owners stuck with mud weeks in these systems could reference this page and actually get help, but that doesnt appear to be the case. (still hope to be proven wrong though)

...which kind of defeats the alleged purpose of the program...to starve out these exit/relief/cancel/rescue companies. If the TS companies are going to reject the mud weeks, then owners of the mud weeks will turn to these exit/cancel companies for "help" which almost invariably leads to these mud weeks landing back at the front door mat of the resorts.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
exactly right...

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bump.
This morning, a friend saw a "testimonial" popup ad on Facebook under the responsibleexit username:
After 14 years with Wyndham, we opted out. They gave us three years of use of 750,000 points, no maintenance fees and after three years, we are finished. Signed Lynda J.
Ad claims it was
Posted on Facebook in December 2020.

I can't find the exact quote I was sent, but here is the link to the Facebook:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes they have been running these ads on fb for awahile now.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well, this didnt take long to be monetized apparently. what a frustrating turn of events.

noticed a new ad on facebook this afternoon that was worded a bit differently and seemed to target folks looking to SELL their timeshare, vs "exit"....piquing my curiosity resulted in me landing on this page:

Cannot adequately express my levels of disappointment to see this page filled with upfront fee companies. wonder what the size of the check had to be to get listed as an ARDA approved resale provider!

just another example on how when it comes between money and owners....the industry will pick money every time! arent you glad resorts continue to automatically include a voluntary donation in your annual maintenance fee bills?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Awe common, you're just sour that TUG isn't listed :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
How can you tell when a company is an upfront fee listing company? 1) they never disclose fees or the process without having to complete some kind of form. 2) look at the lowest priced Westgate property. When they start at $5000, you know they aren't there to help sell timeshares, they are there for the upfront fee.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cannot adequately express my levels of disappointment to see this page filled with upfront fee companies. wonder what the size of the check had to be to get listed as an ARDA approved resale provider!

Turns out I can adequately express my disappointment!

this little nugget is the focus of episode 20 of Talking Timeshares, hope you all enjoy!

Last edited: