• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apparently only one extension now allowed with TP certs.

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today I called MR in Cork; the CSR was able to downgrade my current 7 night unattached hotel old cat 6 cert to a new 7 night unattached hotel cat 1-4 and refunded 30,000 MRP.

This gave a new expiry date for 15 Sept.

I asked her if it could be extended for another year and she said no. She said new rules with travel packages are only one extension which its had today (originally expired 14 Aug 2018).

She said if I don't use it by 15 Sept I'll lose it.

Thoughts fellow Tuggers?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Today I called MR in Cork; the CSR was able to downgrade my current 7 night unattached hotel old cat 6 cert to a new 7 night unattached hotel cat 1-4 and refunded 30,000 MRP.

This gave a new expiry date for 15 Sept.

I asked her if it could be extended for another year and she said no. She said new rules with travel packages are only one extension which its had today (originally expired 14 Aug 2018).

She said if I don't use it by 15 Sept I'll lose it.

Thoughts fellow Tuggers?

I had not heard that. So, for your one extension you received about an extra month, or are we talking about a reservation next year?

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had not heard that. So, for your one extension you received about an extra month, or are we talking about a reservation next year?

I hadn't attached a hotel to it - I just wanted the 30,000 points refunding as changed it to a new lower category. So as it was done today she said the new expiry date is one year from today (even though only extended officially one month).

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen any new official rules on this. Historically, I believe Marriott has granted one extension for 12 months from the date of extension; in addition, it has been possible to reset the expiration by changing category up or down. Hope this continues. Cheers.

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
My rep specifically said I could extend it and I didn't even ask.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I was also told that I could only extend my certificate one time when I had my Cat 8 reduced one time only and received 30k MRP back (5 night certificate). I have another Cat 7 certificate that will be reduced to Cat 5, but I left it alone for now as I didn’t want to use my one extension yet. I u derstand you have until your certificate expires to make the change.

Best regards.

Mike

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Do they still allow cancellation, albeit few points due?

I was told that I could cancel a pre-Aug 18 certificate, but I wouldn’t receive many points in return. Not that I would want to, but it can be done.

Best regards.

Mike

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told that I could cancel a pre-Aug 18 certificate, but I wouldn’t receive many points in return. Not that I would want to, but it can be done.

Best regards.

Mike
Thanks. I really don't think I can use my 2 Cat 1-4 (new category) certificates before June and July 2020. I will sit on them until the first 12 months almost run out before extending them into 2020.

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this information. I'm sitting on three travel certificates, so this information was very valuable.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Are we taking the word of one MR agent on this? Seems more than half of them have no idea what the rules are and I doubt that the rest have a 100% grasp on them. I would wait until I have heard various confirmations from reps till I take it as truth. Historically, the rule of the user (us) has been to keep calling back and eventually someone will get done what you need to have done.

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are we taking the word of one MR agent on this? Seems more than half of them have no idea what the rules are and I doubt that the rest have a 100% grasp on them. I would wait until I have heard various confirmations from reps till I take it as truth. Historically, the rule of the user (us) has been to keep calling back and eventually someone will get done what you need to have done.

Update - first of all when I reduced the old cat 6 to new cat 1-4 the CSR did not mention it had to be a one time extension and would only be for a month or else I would have left it alone. But I wanted the 30,000 points as both the old cat 1-5 and old cat 6 map to the same new cat 1-4 cert.

So I called the USA Marriott rewards. I told the rep my aim is to use my cert in May 2020. Explained the downgrade situation and what the Cork rep had said. She was very cool about it - said book a trip somewhere for next Aug then in June once hotel inventory released give them a call and they'll extend it.

So it's going to be interesting to see if they do this as I took a gamble when purchasing a cert pre- Aug 18th as all my trips for 2019 are booked. Fingers crossed it'll work out!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Update - first of all when I reduced the old cat 6 to new cat 1-4 the CSR did not mention it had to be a one time extension and would only be for a month or else I would have left it alone. But I wanted the 30,000 points as both the old cat 1-5 and old cat 6 map to the same new cat 1-4 cert.

So I called the USA Marriott rewards. I told the rep my aim is to use my cert in May 2020. Explained the downgrade situation and what the Cork rep had said. She was very cool about it - said book a trip somewhere for next Aug then in June once hotel inventory released give them a call and they'll extend it.

So it's going to be interesting to see if they do this as I took a gamble when purchasing a cert pre- Aug 18th as all my trips for 2019 are booked. Fingers crossed it'll work out!
My gut tells me they will make it happen for you.

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I converted my old Cat 1-5 5 night TP today to stay at a new Cat 4 hotel. I had an immediate email confirming this and the expiry date of the new TP was 17th Sept 2019 1 Year from today, so it appears this happens automatically

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I converted my old Cat 1-5 5 night TP today to stay at a new Cat 4 hotel. I had an immediate email confirming this and the expiry date of the new TP was 17th Sept 2019 1 Year from today, so it appears this happens automatically

Did you get any refund of MR points?

Hercules325

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's a good phone number to call for the one-year extension. I was told to call Marriott Rewards at 1-801-468-4160 and my request was denied.

Thank you.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What's a good phone number to call for the one-year extension. I was told to call Marriott Rewards at 1-801-468-4160 and my request was denied.

Thank you.
Just keep calling the Marriott Rewards line until you reach someone who knows what they are doing. They have a serious training issue.