• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

anyone invited to buy Echo from Amazon [2014]

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am on the invitee wait list for Echo. Has anyone been "invited" yet?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a forum on this at the bottom of the Amazon 'Deals' page. Some people have received the invite, and the Echo. A late post (today) says you can call Amazon Customer Support and identify yourself as a Prime member, and manually order one, bypassing the 'invitation' rigmarole.

Jim

Last edited:

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did NOT work for me.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
More from the Amazon Echo forum: There's speculation that the first shipment(s) sold out, and a new 'bunch' of invitations are to go out next Tuesday.

I'm sure that demand far exceeded supply, so they had to come up with some way to control the sales/distribution. I'm not counting on an invite til after the holidays- And I'm still not sure I'll buy one then, depending on reviews.

For Prime members with money burning a hole in their pockets, the Fire TV stick is $20 again.

Jim

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am on the invitee wait list for Echo. Has anyone been "invited" yet?

Yes, and I received "Alexa" last Thursday. I love it!! my husband has gotten pretty fond of her too :) He just called me at work about 10 minutes ago - because he couldnt remember her name.... He wanted her to play some music for him while he cooked breakfast. My sheltie Tucker on the other hand doesnt quite know what to make of it...

She works beautifully with TuneIn and IHeart radio. I usually just play my Amazon music. Great with weather - we have asked for weather forecasts for just about everywhere we know anyone. So far we are having fun with it :)

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, and I received "Alexa" last Thursday. I love it!! my husband has gotten pretty fond of her too :) He just called me at work about 10 minutes ago - because he couldnt remember her name.... He wanted her to play some music for him while he cooked breakfast. My sheltie Tucker on the other hand doesnt quite know what to make of it...

She works beautifully with TuneIn and IHeart radio. I usually just play my Amazon music. Great with weather - we have asked for weather forecasts for just about everywhere we know anyone. So far we are having fun with it :)

How's the sound quality? Do you know if it plays the Amazon music service that comes with Prime? I'd assume it does.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sound quality seems very good - certainly good (and loud!) enough for me. My husband who is a little pickier is also very happy with it :)

It can play any playlist, artist, or song on my Amazon account. Also from the free "Prime" music offerings - making my husband happier than he would be with my music. I listen to mostly country and he likes rock - he has enjoyed choosing what classic rock he wants to hear. Plays his favorite radio stations also....When you interrupt Alexa and ask a question, she just pauses the music, answers the question and picks up the music where she left off.

Love some of her answers to questions or comments
DH - Alexa, I really think you are great!!
Alexa - oh, that's sweet of you to say..

another time she told him she likes their relationship the way it is :)
I think he asked her to marry him....

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Laura and you have talked me into it. I just requested the invite, I hope I'm not too late.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I do a lot of cooking/baking I usually have my 8.9 " HDX on the counter. I have to keep constantly moving it, cleaning/drying my hands to change music or pause it - this really works nice in the kitchen !!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Laura, I haven't been able to get an answer to this: Can you change 'Alexa's' name? If everyone who has one of these sitting on the counter/table/wherever, I can see a likelihood of mischief. For instance, kids at a neighbor's saying 'Alexa, set the alarm for 3:00 a.m." or "Alexa, read me a sexy story when you hear (dad's) voice."

Jim

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Laura, I haven't been able to get an answer to this: Can you change 'Alexa's' name? If everyone who has one of these sitting on the counter/table/wherever, I can see a likelihood of mischief. For instance, kids at a neighbor's saying 'Alexa, set the alarm for 3:00 a.m." or "Alexa, read me a sexy story when you hear (dad's) voice."

Jim

I think for now you are limited to Alexa or Amazon. It is my understanding that at some point in the future they can be named anything :)

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is part of a response from Amazon Echo on their "system" for selling their advertised product the Echo. I left out personal information.

"This is Hilary from Amazon Echo support. I'm very sorry you haven't yet received an invitation to purchase Amazon Echo. Invitations will be sent out in waves, you could still receive an invitation at a later time. We just started sending out Invitation emails on Tuesday, November 18, 2014. There is still a chance that you can be selected, so keep an eye on your email. If selected, you will receive an email and have 7 days to complete the transaction before it expires.

We have a limited quantity of devices available. We will send more invitations if more devices become available. <b> I’m sorry I don't have additional information as to how our selection process works, or if you'll receive an invitation.</b> Amazon is building an experimental community with the Echo at this time. As such, we are looking for a diverse community willing to help out with feedback and helping the Echo grow as it changes. So with this device, Amazon has done something different since the demand exceeds the limited supply of devices that we have at this time. As I've said, the invitation process is still open, so there's still hope.
"

I think this is an awful way for Amazon to sell products . They have a mysterious selection process. It appears that not all Prime members will get it at the reduced price.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll think about it for a day or two, but I'm probably in for one. Thanks for the reminder about this.

Last edited:

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is part of a response from Amazon Echo on their "system" for selling their advertised product the Echo. I left out personal information.

"This is Hilary from Amazon Echo support. I'm very sorry you haven't yet received an invitation to purchase Amazon Echo. Invitations will be sent out in waves, you could still receive an invitation at a later time. We just started sending out Invitation emails on Tuesday, November 18, 2014. There is still a chance that you can be selected, so keep an eye on your email. If selected, you will receive an email and have 7 days to complete the transaction before it expires.

We have a limited quantity of devices available. We will send more invitations if more devices become available. <b> I’m sorry I don't have additional information as to how our selection process works, or if you'll receive an invitation.</b> Amazon is building an experimental community with the Echo at this time. As such, we are looking for a diverse community willing to help out with feedback and helping the Echo grow as it changes. So with this device, Amazon has done something different since the demand exceeds the limited supply of devices that we have at this time. As I've said, the invitation process is still open, so there's still hope.
"

I think this is an awful way for Amazon to sell products . They have a mysterious selection process. It appears that not all Prime members will get it at the reduced price.

Some Prime members from the Amazon kindle forums have stated that they were able to put the echo in their cart at the reduced price without an invitation...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some Prime members from the Amazon kindle forums have stated that they were able to put the echo in their cart at the reduced price without an invitation...

I've seen that too, then they've come back and added that when they tried to purchase what was in their cart, they get a message that the purchase is by invite only and they will be notified of when they can consummate the purchase.

Still waiting, twiddling my thumbs in anticipation of an invite. Obviously I waited too long (a day) after the announcement before getting on the wait list.

Not that I need the darn thing- I already have Cortana and a perfectly good 1st gen iPad to stream intenet audio. It's just that..... well, it's cool and I can afford $100 now better than $200 later.

Jim

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen that too, then they've come back and added that when they tried to purchase what was in their cart, they get a message that the purchase is by invite only and they will be notified of when they can consummate the purchase.

Still waiting, twiddling my thumbs in anticipation of an invite. Obviously I waited too long (a day) after the announcement before getting on the wait list.

Not that I need the darn thing- I already have Cortana and a perfectly good 1st gen iPad to stream intenet audio. It's just that..... well, it's cool and I can afford $100 now better than $200 later.

Jim

If you check my post you will see that Amazon is not necessarily using a first come first served basis. They are using an undisclosed method for picking people to sell at the reduced price. One of the factors is diversity according to Amazon.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you check my post you will see that Amazon is not necessarily using a first come first served basis. They are using an undisclosed method for picking people to sell at the reduced price. One of the factors is diversity according to Amazon.

Yeah. So be it. Having an unknown algorithm to assign invitations is no different than the unknown measures RCI or II use to assign 'value' to timeshare exchanges. The various 'point' systems have exactly zero correlation to each other or dollars, or pesos or wampum.

See- I could keep the discussion on timesharing. :)

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

I didnt NEED it either, but yes, it is cool :)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

I think it's great. Amazon is basically saying that they're still refining the product and want to slowly expand the number of customers while they do that. And, it seems they want to select which type of customer they sell to during this stage (I would suspect this is based on a variety of factors). They control the number they manufacturer and while I'm sure that number is significant, it may not be as many as we suspect. Once they get to the point where it's ready for all, I'm sure they will increase production to meet demand. I would also be surprised if they don't honor the $100 price for those of us who requested an invite, even at a later time.

Given Amazon's track record on product development and customer service, I've got no problem giving them the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you should, too.

Sent from my iPad

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I think this is an awful way for Amazon to sell products . They have a mysterious selection process.

I take it you were not a fan of the way Google sold their Google Glass product. I see some similarities.

Kurt

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

I take it you were not a fan of the way Google sold their Google Glass product. I see some similarities.

Kurt

I think Amazon should have been more straightforward about what they were doing. I thought it was a first come first served deal. They should have explained what they were doing up front. If they did, I wouldn't be so irritated. I am also irritated with Amazon customer service on this. Amazon representatives have no idea about the echo promotion. After wasting my time misunderstanding my questions they said they have to connect me with the Echo department that could handle my inquiry. On the first try I waited over 20 minutes before I hung up. On the second try I finally got to Echo where they basically told me nothing except that I had to wait for an invitation to receive it. My question was "Why must I wait for an invitation if I am a long time prime customer" their answer was "policy". I am not happy with that kind of response. It is an insult as far as I am concerned to the consumer's intelligence. It took some effort before I got the explanation that I posted earlier.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think Amazon should have been more straightforward about what they were doing. I thought it was a first come first served deal. They should have explained what they were doing up front. If they did, I wouldn't be so irritated. I am also irritated with Amazon customer service on this. Amazon representatives have no idea about the echo promotion. After wasting my time misunderstanding my questions they said they have to connect me with the Echo department that could handle my inquiry. On the first try I waited over 20 minutes before I hung up. On the second try I finally got to Echo where they basically told me nothing except that I had to wait for an invitation to receive it. My question was "Why must I wait for an invitation if I am a long time prime customer" their answer was "policy". I am not happy with that kind of response. It is an insult as far as I am concerned to the consumer's intelligence. It took some effort before I got the explanation that I posted earlier.

FWIW, I've been a prime customer since the very first day they offered it, and I don't have my invite yet. Clearly that type of "priority" is meaningless, as it should be. As a loyal Amazon customer, I'm not sure why you don't give them the benefit of the doubt at doing whatever they deem necessary to create a good product.

Sent from my iPad

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I thought it was a first come first served deal.
Interesting. When I signed up for the invitation, I had no impression that it was a first come, first served deal. I even got the vibe that it was not a certainty that I would even get an invitation to buy at the discounted price, just that I was requesting an invitation.

Not exactly sure what the wording was, but those were my expectations. Obviously others interpreted it differently.

Kurt