• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone have the new Subaru Impreza?

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in this car because of the good gas mileage and all wheel drive. I'd really like a new Forester, but the mileage is not nearly as good. We have snow and I'm a bit concerned that the clearance on the Impreza is only 4.5 inches, versus 7 or 8 on the Forester. Any one have any experience with this new car?
Thanks,
Liz

skulipeg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on the new Impreza, but we have a 2009 Impreza, and love it. We live in Winnipeg, and usually see a fair amount of snow, and have never had a concern regarding clearance. The only complaint I have is that in cold weather there are a lot of squeaks and rattles, but looking at your location, I don't think that's an issue ;)

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually we have cold winters and snow, sometimes as much as 4 feet. That's why we need AWD. I had an Impreza the first year it came out in'93 and it had a few problems including the AC. I replaced it with a 2001 Legacy, which my son has now. We currently have a 4 x 4 Ford 150 and need better gas mileage.
Liz

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a 2003 Impreza and boy does it handle the road under any condition. Last January we were getting ready to drive to the airport to catch our flight to Palm Springs, to escape winter. It snowed overnight and the Subaru looked buried. I told my husband we would have to dig it out in order to get it off the parking spot and onto the road. He just shook his head, got in, and drove in onto the road through DEEP snow as if it was the middle of summer! Gas mileage is great too.

Last year our son-in-law bought a Subaru WRX STI and is that ever a wonderful car, vroom vroom vroom!

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are both great recommendations. I found out on another site they are planning some kind of crossover on the Subaru platform that will have an 8 inch clearance. Should be around by next fall.
Liz

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 'crossover' would be unlikely to get better mileage than a Forester, and Forester is rated one of the safest cars available. If they are making a change to a well proven design, there may be some incentives available to soften the blow of slightly lower mileage.

Jim

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in this car because of the good gas mileage and all wheel drive. I'd really like a new Forester, but the mileage is not nearly as good. We have snow and I'm a bit concerned that the clearance on the Impreza is only 4.5 inches, versus 7 or 8 on the Forester. Any one have any experience with this new car?
Thanks,
Liz

Not sure what model Impreza you're looking at, but if getting good gas mileage is important, you should take a look at Volkswagen's Jetta Sportwagen 30 mpg city/42 hy or their Passat diesel, 31 city/43 hy. Not bad numbers there ;)

antjmar

Reaction score
Thanks,
Liz

A friend is geting one soon (factory order) Are you looking at a manual or an automatic? The auto has a CVT transmission. I currently have in a AWD with a CVT (not a subaru) and hate it. I think the stick is a better choice IMO.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't look at VW as we live in the mountains with snow and need AWD. I do not want to go back to a stick, my 2001 Subaru Legacy was my first automatic and I loved it. We'll have to do some test driving.
Liz