• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone have safety concerns regarding Cancun or Los Cabos

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i cannot speak for Los Cabos, this was my post for a similar thread referring to the same articles:

not picking on Las Vegas, we were there in February, loved it and we plan to return in the future. This is a comparison Las Vegas- Cancun although it may be subjective. The hotel strip in Cancun is located on a peninsula, keeping it far from the local population and making it a difficult target. We felt very safe in the hotel area around Westin Lagunamar Cancun.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compar...V&city2=Cancun&tracking=getDispatchComparison

index.php

Last edited:

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Westin Los Cabos and felt completely safe. Speaking with a few different people that have moved to Cabo (originally from the US) they all stated they feel much safer than being in the United States (Folks from San Francisco Bay Area, Texas and Southern CA -- all stated this way).

Truthfully, I was one of those feeling "scared" about going until actually having gone several times now. Now, we prefer Cancun or Cabo (right now we are really into Cabo) over Hawaii (and don't get me wrong, we love Hawaii too!). We feel the people are more genuine and kind - and that they truly care about you having a great experience.

To be clear: I wouldn't go alone into the towns at night (just like in any US city) and be smart about your surroundings.

The new Westin Cabo resort is outstanding and I can highly recommend it.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
One should always be concerned about safety when traveling. You will be in unfamiliar surroundings, often with an unfamiliar language and customs. Be watchful. if someone is paying particular attention to you, leave. Don't flash a lot of money/jewelry/electronics. Mexico is generally no more unsafe than any large N.American city, but tourists are at a natural disadvantage. Don't leave the resort alone at night. Stay with a group. If you are pickpocketed- let it be. Don't chase down the thief- he is not alone and knows the area.

Jim

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The tourist areas in Mexico feel safe to tourists. Is it actually safe? Who knows. We like Mexico and are heading to Cozumel next. We love Cabo. But it *is* Mexico, so my number one rule for myself is "don't be an idiot". I can't expect anyone to bail me out down there, so I have to take care of myself. I agree about taking precautions. We hike everywhere we visit, but not in Mexico. We don't feel good about it, but ymmv. (I have felt unsafe while hiking in Hawaii, so this is not specific to Mexico. There were some local spots on Oahu and the BI where we did not feel welcome. I realize they are just angry young men, but when you are in a low traffic spot they have the upper hand. We just go somewhere else).

Last edited:

Greatlakeslover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Myself, husband, son and daughterinlaw, took a taxi from Lagunimar to Costco. It was nearing dusk when we finished shopping. The return taxi, which was in very bad shape, took us back to Lagunimar avoiding the main drag. We drove through very questionable areas and ending up on a freeway. We were stopped by flashing lights and military vehicles. We were ordered out of the car, surrounded by military carrying machine-type guns, while the car was searched. Only one man spoke English and said they were the Mexican Navy. Thank goodness nothing was found.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Lagunamar last summer and hoping to go back again this summer if we can squeeze in another vacation. Felt totally safe. Rented a car and made drive down to Xel Ha as well as driving to Puerto Juarez to take ferry to isla majueres. Also drove into town for costco. Didn’t feel any more or less secure than traveling to any other US destination. Just leave the Rolex and fancy jewelry at home.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Cancun in June and I am not worried. I know cartel murders are up, but those are not in the hotel zone (or barely). I live near Baltimore and travel for work in the City. Baltimore had over 350 murders last year. But just like Cancun, almost all those murders are drug related.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
i cannot speak for Los Cabos, this was my post for a similar thread referring to the same articles:

not picking on Las Vegas, we were there in February, loved it and we plan to return in the future. This is a comparison Las Vegas- Cancun although it may be subjective. The hotel strip in Cancun is located on a peninsula, keeping it far from the local population and making it a difficult target. We felt very safe in the hotel area around Westin Lagunamar Cancun.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compar...V&city2=Cancun&tracking=getDispatchComparison

index.php
Looks like a very objective report, based upon quantifiable data and meaningful statistics, using scientific methods. :crash:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We are going to Cancun in June and I am not worried. I know cartel murders are up, but those are not in the hotel zone (or barely). I live near Baltimore and travel for work in the City. Baltimore had over 350 murders last year. But just like Cancun, almost all those murders are drug related.

Baltimore is one of the top 5 most dangerous cities in the USA so it is a good comparison to Cancun.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Looks like a very objective report, based upon quantifiable data and meaningful statistics, using scientific methods. :crash:

Depends on how they defined crime. These studies can be extremely warped.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Depends on how they defined crime. These studies can be extremely warped.
No study. Some quotes from the site:
"Numbeo is the world’s largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries worldwide. "

"Numbeo provides a tool to see, share and compare information about cost of living worldwide, by providing online software which:
-uses wisdom of the crowd to get as reliable data as possible"

Not surprising given the foolishness of the descriptions in the graphic. Politics aside, this is the further perpetuation of false news, proffered as fact.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the study, but in general, I wouldn't pay much attention to the news. They tend to take any information and distort it to suit a point of view, rather than just report a fact.

I feel as safe in Mexico as anywhere else. Sure, there are drug related crimes and murders. They also occur in many major US cities. As long as you don't go where the drug lords/gangs are holding their turf wars, there is no problem.

Two years ago I was in Jerusalem, and even went to Bethlehem on the West Bank. This was shortly after two Israelis had been gunned down in Tel Aviv. Seeing the news, I expected tight check points and a war ravaged West Bank. Reality was totally different. Both Jerusalem and Bethlehem were in great shape. There were less guards and people with guns than I see say in Germany or other European cities. Same in Mexico. There are guards patrolling, but not in great numbers.

It is probably easier to get caught in a terrorist incident in major European (or even American) cities than to be in trouble with a drug band in Mexico. They don't have any interest in tourists or destroying the livelihood of the locals, whereas terrorists are truly targeting innocent people. As mentioned before, most of the violence in Mexico that you hear about is not directed at foreigners, and it tends to be exaggerated to get people to buy newspapers or click through stories on the web.

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA, WMH, WDW, SDO, SMV, WLR, (WFlex-no more, sold)
Myself, husband, son and daughterinlaw, took a taxi from Lagunimar to Costco. It was nearing dusk when we finished shopping. The return taxi, which was in very bad shape, took us back to Lagunimar avoiding the main drag. We drove through very questionable areas and ending up on a freeway. We were stopped by flashing lights and military vehicles. We were ordered out of the car, surrounded by military carrying machine-type guns, while the car was searched. Only one man spoke English and said they were the Mexican Navy. Thank goodness nothing was found.

FWIW, we always used Uber from WLR to Costco and back, much cheaper then the taxis and MUCH nicer vehicles. Our most expensive Costco run in an Uber was $141 Pesos, or about $7.64 USD, the return was $1 USD less. It can be a little more difficult to get an Uber along the Hotel strip, but worth it if you can. As an example, my mom couldn't walk the several blocks to the restaurant, so I took her in an Uber and everyone else walked, the Uber ride there was $3.50, the taxi ride back was about $10

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, we always used Uber from WLR to Costco and back, much cheaper then the taxis and MUCH nicer vehicles. Our most expensive Costco run in an Uber was $141 Pesos, or about $7.64 USD, the return was $1 USD less. It can be a little more difficult to get an Uber along the Hotel strip, but worth it if you can. As an example, my mom couldn't walk the several blocks to the restaurant, so I took her in an Uber and everyone else walked, the Uber ride there was $3.50, the taxi ride back was about $10

I thought Uber wasn’t available in Cancun. Did that change recently?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Uber is no longer in Cancun as of December 2017 I think. Apparently there was quite a battle that went on between Uber and the taxis. According to a local, the taxis were requesting fake Uber ride requests.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in Cabo San Lucas for most of March and had no safety concerns. We stayed on Solmar Beach on the Pacific Ocean side of town, and put many miles on our feet every day - even enjoyed the 3 mile walk to the WalMart shopping center. We had a car and went out to Chileno and Santa Maria beaches along the corridor, and spent some time in and around San Jose. We rode the local bus. We walked into town at sunrise for breakfasts and walked home from dinners after dark (usually by 10pm - so not too late). We never saw or had a problem.

We stayed in the Westin before it joined VSE, and it's a beautiful area along the corridor where the desert meets the ocean (and golf course). It's off the highway, so you're in your own lovely world out there.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We stayed at Lagunamar in Cancun in early January and felt very safe. During our stay we took a tour to Tulum and really enjoyed it. We stayed on the resort grounds at night. As others have mentioned, be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.

Enjoy!

Mike

smitty2445

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at Lagunamar right now and feel completely safe. Except for the bus ride last night, it was a real eye opener.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
no problems with Lagunamar/Cancun. If you are concerned, stay on the resort, but moving around during the day is perfectly fine, i feel safe. We even go out at night, but only on the strip/restaurants that are close by.

Westin Cabo, i can only speak to being there around 10yrs ago. I would not venture outside of my resort in the evening.

blondietink

Reaction score
We are in Cancun right now. No safety concerns. I agree that riding the public bus can be wild, but ultimately fun for 12 Pecos.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We were at the Westin Los Cabos in February. Fantastic resort. Felt totally safe in Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, but were really only there during the daytime. We were in Cabo San Lucas at night after a sunset cruise, but the tour operator provided group transport back to the Westin and other resorts, so it was all fine. At night in either place I would just use whatever normal precautions you would use in any large US city. You'll read the occasional horror story of bad/sad experiences, but those things happen everywhere.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
This is a clear case of the availability bias that the media is so good about creating. The perception that Mexico is now less safe is due in part to the easy access of information and increased frequency of media reports. I would be willing to argue that there are areas in LA, Chicago and NYC that are much more dangerous than Cancun or Cabo. Additionally, there are cities in the US that have a much higher crime rate, but you won't hear about it because the media chooses not to report it and Mexican crime makes for a better story. Statistically, you have a much greater chance of dying in a car accident today then you do getting caught in Mexican crime.

I would vacation as usual. You should always be vigilant, smart, and mindful wherever you go.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We spent 3 weeks in Los Cabo in January/February this year at 3 different Resorts. First was Solaris in San Jose del Cabo. It is an AI. So we did not go out much. It is a kick back, decompression week. We then spent a week at RVC/Club Regina (next to Weston) on the Corridor. Our 3rd Resort was Coral Baja in San Jose del Cabo. For weeks 2 and 3 we had a rental car and drove all over the place including 2 trips to La Paz. We never felt unsafe or threatened. We had aa great time.

The Mexican Navy has been given responsibility for the safety and protection of the Los Cabos area. In San Jose del Cabo there is a Committee made of of Business people, Politicians, Police, Military, etc that meets regularly to address concerns and efforts to maintain safety.