• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone have Consumer Cellular service?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Final follow up from my sister:

I went back to Target and the rep found out that even though it said on my phone, I was connected, my phone had not automatically synced with their network. He (with some effort) was able to get it to sync and it works great now. My only complaint is the full-page pop-ups that you have to clear before you can use the phone. Very annoying, but the price break makes it barely worth it. LOL. And yes, I did keep my phone.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Final follow up from my sister:

I went back to Target and the rep found out that even though it said on my phone, I was connected, my phone had not automatically synced with their network. He (with some effort) was able to get it to sync and it works great now. My only complaint is the full-page pop-ups that you have to clear before you can use the phone. Very annoying, but the price break makes it barely worth it. LOL. And yes, I did keep my phone.

Well, that's great to hear! Glad she got it sorted out.

Dave

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I decided to pull the trigger, and ordered the Consumer Cellular service. I'll give them a fair chance, and see how things go. I must say, I'm impressed so far just with their level of customer service on the phone. Very forthcoming and helpful.

Following Terry's advice above, I asked that the phones I got to be shipped with AT&T SIM cards. They understood completely, and said it would be no problem. I know they have better coverage in my town than T-Mobile does. Should have the equipment in a few days. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks, everyone, for the assistance!

Dave

Dave, it has been 10 months now, an update on CC, please?

I’ve been with AT&T for almost 17 years. After my phone took a dip in the pool I am looking to switch carriers to help off set the purchase of a new iPhone. Paying $95/mo now for two phones and 6GB data. CC is at the top of my list but concerned about some reviewers complaining about text and data issues. Thanks!

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
We’ve had CC now for 8 months and are very happy. We do have an occasional dropped call but in all fairness we live in a rural area and used to get the occasional dropped call even with ATT. We pay $50 mo bottom line for two phones. Unlimited talk and text but only a 2GB data plan, which is more than enough for us. Have had no problems with text or data issues so far.

Reactions: RX8

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, it has been 10 months now, an update on CC, please?

I’ve been with AT&T for almost 17 years. After my phone took a dip in the pool I am looking to switch carriers to help off set the purchase of a new iPhone. Paying $95/mo now for two phones and 6GB data. CC is at the top of my list but concerned about some reviewers complaining about text and data issues. Thanks!

Thanks for asking. I don’t usually gush about a product, especially a cell phone, but I do have to say I am absolutely, completely, 100% satisfied with Consumer Cellular as a phone carrier. I wish I had switched over years ago.

We got AT&T SIM cards initially, but switched out my spouse’s phone to a T-Mobile card, after finding the coverage at the Costco building was better that way. We both have rock solid performance, and zero issues with dropped calls or texts. Data is good, and it’s as solid a cell solution as I ever had all those years with Verizon.

We’ve used the phones all over here in our PNW area, as well as when we’ve traveled to New Orleans, Las Vegas, and Southern California. No issues with coverage, and it was invisible that we were away from home. When we went over the border into Canada there was no service, but we expected that. If we were going to be there any length of time, I’d have figured a way to get coverage there. But at home, day to day, it is excellent.

I opted for the two lines, unlimited talk and text, 5gb data plan. $55 a month plus taxes, which ends up at $69 a month, nearly half of what I was spending with Verizon. We have only gone over that data one time (when we went to New Orleans), and the only thing that happened is CC bumped us up to the next higher data plan, which added $10 to the bill. When we got back home, I switched us back down to the regular plan we had the next month, and life went on. If your usage requires higher data use, buy the higher plan.

The one thing we do differently now that we didn’t do before is look for free data in restaurants and airports. Connecting to free wireless in public places reduces our data use, which is no big deal. We don’t come close to our 5gb plan limit, and we both can do what we want online. Streaming data and such is not an issue.

The Apple 5SE phones we got initially were fine, and worked great. We’ve both upgraded since then, me to a 6S from CC, spouse to a 7Plus purchased directly from Apple. No biggie changing phones - switch the SIM card, call CC with the EIN or whatever it’s called, and that was that. Easy breezy.

Would I do it again? Yes. Am I satisfied? Yes. Do I recommend CC over the big bucks named carriers? YES!

CC has a referral program where we’d both get a one time discount if you tell them I referred you. If anyone is thinking of switching, PM me and we can both get a break.

Dave

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Our concern with CC is that we travel outside of the USA for extended periods of time once or twice per year.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Our concern with CC is that we travel outside of the USA for extended periods of time once or twice per year.

Not an issue for me, but I agree that could be a problem. I wonder if they have an answer for people who travel internationally like that?

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If you really don't use the smart phone much a trac phone plan might be worth it. I think I have 5 lines with Tmobile and one prepaid US Cellular. Tmobile works in Mexico and Canada as well as all of the big U.S. cities and U.S.Cellular works out in the sticks.

Bill

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Thanks for asking. I don’t usually gush about a product, especially a cell phone, but I do have to say I am absolutely, completely, 100% satisfied with Consumer Cellular as a phone carrier. I wish I had switched over years ago.

We got AT&T SIM cards initially, but switched out my spouse’s phone to a T-Mobile card, after finding the coverage at the Costco building was better that way. We both have rock solid performance, and zero issues with dropped calls or texts. Data is good, and it’s as solid a cell solution as I ever had all those years with Verizon.

We’ve used the phones all over here in our PNW area, as well as when we’ve traveled to New Orleans, Las Vegas, and Southern California. No issues with coverage, and it was invisible that we were away from home. When we went over the border into Canada there was no service, but we expected that. If we were going to be there any length of time, I’d have figured a way to get coverage there. But at home, day to day, it is excellent.

I opted for the two lines, unlimited talk and text, 5gb data plan. $55 a month plus taxes, which ends up at $69 a month, nearly half of what I was spending with Verizon. We have only gone over that data one time (when we went to New Orleans), and the only thing that happened is CC bumped us up to the next higher data plan, which added $10 to the bill. When we got back home, I switched us back down to the regular plan we had the next month, and life went on. If your usage requires higher data use, buy the higher plan.

The one thing we do differently now that we didn’t do before is look for free data in restaurants and airports. Connecting to free wireless in public places reduces our data use, which is no big deal. We don’t come close to our 5gb plan limit, and we both can do what we want online. Streaming data and such is not an issue.

The Apple 5SE phones we got initially were fine, and worked great. We’ve both upgraded since then, me to a 6S from CC, spouse to a 7Plus purchased directly from Apple. No biggie changing phones - switch the SIM card, call CC with the EIN or whatever it’s called, and that was that. Easy breezy.

Would I do it again? Yes. Am I satisfied? Yes. Do I recommend CC over the big bucks named carriers? YES!

CC has a referral program where we’d both get a one time discount if you tell them I referred you. If anyone is thinking of switching, PM me and we can both get a break.

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Another question, if outside the US I understand no cell/data service. With Apple iPhones, texting will work off WiFi when there is no data service. Any one know if you can still send texts via wiFi when CC has no service?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks Dave!

Another question, if outside the US I understand no cell/data service. With Apple iPhones, texting will work off WiFi when there is no data service. Any one know if you can still send texts via wiFi when CC has no service?

Good question. Not sure if this answers you or not: I was flying to Seattle from San Diego last week, and I was connected to Southwest's in-air free wifi for entertainment. I had no cell service on the phone because I was on Airplane Mode. When I tried to send a text it wanted me to pay their $8.00 fee for their in-air data service. I didn't go for it, but I think it might have worked. So, if the wifi connection allows sending text messages, it seems like it would work, right?

Dave

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Dave!

There are apps. We were using hangouts on our smart phones with a wifi conection. On face book there is a message app. Iphones have an app as well. No data required, just a wifi connection.

We use to skype, lol.

Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Tn face book there is a message app. Iphones have an app as well. No data required, just a wifi connection.

Bill
But then you have to have a FACEBOOK Account and all your informarion gets shared with all sorts of companies.

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave!

That will work (iMessage w/o having a cellular connection).

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
“The Apple 5SE phones we got initially were fine, and worked great. We’ve both upgraded since then, me to a 6S from CC, spouse to a 7Plus purchased directly from Apple. No biggie changing phones - switch the SIM card, call CC with the EIN or whatever it’s called, and that was that. Easy breezy.”

We bought new Xr’s Directly from Apple and did nothing but switch out our SIM’s to the new phones. Worked perfectly. Such a big difference from our old 5SE’s.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
UPDATE

Thanks for the advice. After being with ATT forever (we started out with Cingular which turned into ATT), I ended up making the switch to Consumer Cellular. We have three lines (wife and I plus our 8th grader son who has a basic non-smart phone). My monthly savings is around $60 a month or $720 annually. That is a nice savings. Next step is to sign up for AARP to get an additional 5% off each month.

Only issue that I have had is that my phone won't allow me to turn on Wi-Fi calling. My wife's phone had no problem with it. We both have iPhones. CC response is that some phones just won't accept certain features. For $720 annual savings I guess I can do without Wi-Fi calling.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
UPDATE

Thanks for the advice. After being with ATT forever (we started out with Cingular which turned into ATT), I ended up making the switch to Consumer Cellular.

Glad to hear it’s working for you. $720 annual savings is good money.

You may want to consider doing a factory reset of your phone and trying again on the WiFi calling. I don’t buy their explanation that it wouldn’t work on some phones. Unless the manufacture dates were very different, one phone “should” work the same as the other.

Dave

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Been having problems lately with messages and voicemail arriving hours after being sent. Anyone else experiencing this? Not the first I’ve heard of this with CC but it’s the first we’ve experienced it.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Been having problems lately with messages and voicemail arriving hours after being sent. Anyone else experiencing this? Not the first I’ve heard of this with CC but it’s the first we’ve experienced it.

Still relatively new with CC but I haven’t yet experienced delayed messages/voicemails. I will add that it occasionally happened with ATT.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’ve only had it happen once, that I know of. I’d sent a group text to my brother and sister in law at about 8:30 one evening several weeks ago. The next morning I got a reply from them saying they’d received it at 12:45AM. My brother asked “Did you really text us that late?” I had to explain that No, I didn’t send it that late.

My question is whether this ever happens with regular texts on AT&T accounts? If there was a system slowdown that evening, does that ever happen to others? “Network Slowdown” comes to mind.

If it’s happened at other times, I haven’t heard about it. Things would happen like that on Verizon from time to time, too. I’ll keep my ears up to whether it happens again.

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So hubby's flip phone died tonight - won't come on or charge. He has been with Pure Talk for years- $12.00 per month with tax. (he doesn't need text or data-and rarely even makes calls. It is just for emergencies.). He had 11, 903 minutes rolled over, LOL! He had been grandfathered in with this plan as the company no longer offers it nor do they offer flip phones anymore.

We use my IPhone as our main number. We really just need one smart phone. Hubby has callused fingers from his days working as a mechanic many moons ago, so using a smart phone is too challenging for him that way. He likes using his kindle fire and laptop in the house.

So we tried calling the company this evening and were on hold for 45 minutes. I was so angry I told him we should just cancel it and look for alternatives.I went on their Facebook page and complained. Then we go on line to try to cancel it- can'y do it on line it says- have to call. I deactivate the auto pay in the meantime. Finally a rep. answers the phone. She says if we want to keep the same phone number we have to get a new service first and then call back. Ummmm.... no. Forget it. We won't stay on hold for another 45 mintues!

So since we are really busy with things with our moving, I call Consumer Cellular and get him a $30 flip phone (I was going to give him my 6S Plus which I just got for XMAS and haven't even opened the box yet- but I think it is locked with Straight talk- not sure) and signed him up for 250 talk minutes per month for $15 plus tax. The good thing is the ohone will be ready to go when he gets it.

I had heard they have great customer service and it was very easy to call and get this taken care of. He will have the phone in 5 business days. They were able to give hubby a phone number for our new address. I believe she said she would order for AT & T instead of T Mobile because it had better coverage where we are moving. Hopefully it will work well. Pure Talk uses AT & T and his phone with them worked fine where we will live. Rep was really nice.

But now I see on YELP like over 400 reviews stating how bad Consumer Cellular has gotten for customer service! I hope we did not make a mistake! What is with these companies anyway?

Did I mention that his Farberware electric coffee peculator we had since my bridal shower (42 years!) just broke last week? He's on a roll. I just ordered him a Farberware stove top peculator for $15.99 on Amazon that he will get on Sunday. LOL!

(just to be clear- the perculator was at first only used on special occassions or for company, as he actually liked instant coffee and drank it most of his life. Then suddenly he got tired of it and our son got him a k cup thing (one cup maker) and it didn't get the coffee hot enough and he got tired of that, so then switched to using the peculator daily about 2 years ago.)

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Mary Ann, I'd say you should take those 400 complaints with a HUGE grain of salt. Happy people rarely get online to rave about a good experience. My own experience with Consumer Cellular for more than a year has been absolutely excellent. No complaints at all. I rarely have to call, but whenever I do, I get a live person, and prompt service for the situation. My suggestion would be to call during the workday, and not at the end of the day. I think CC's offices are in Oregon. As far as I know, that's where the call center is - no outsourced customer service with them.

One thing I especially like about CC is signing up for a lower plan, which will then automatically upgrade to the next higher plan if I go over the allowance. I have the option of going back to the lower service the following month if I want. Best of all is I can do plenty from their website without ever calling in. I like being able to handle my own situation like that.

Service for me, with an AT&T SIM card in my iPhone works great. My spouse went back and forth between the AT&T and T-Mobile cards, and never was able to get good service inside the Costco warehouse. The metal building interfered with things. (Note that CC sent SIM cards for free when requested, as we tried switching back and forth.) A few months ago we discovered a cell service option available through our cable provider that uses Verizon towers, so we switched spouse's over to that. Great happiness ensued, and there is now a fine Verizon cell signal inside Costco's building. I stayed with Consumer Cellular, and was able to drop down to their 250 mins / 3gb data plan, for $25 a month. I can live with that, since I rarely will ever use that much of either part.

If things with CC don't work to your satisfaction for some reason, you can cancel and take your business elsewhere. No contract gives you that freedom. And if you want to keep the number, yes, get the new service first, and transfer the number to them.

I think you'll be surprised and happy with their service. I know I was. Now I'm a fan.

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann, I'd say you should take those 400 complaints with a HUGE grain of salt. Happy people rarely get online to rave about a good experience. My own experience with Consumer Cellular for more than a year has been absolutely excellent. No complaints at all. I rarely have to call, but whenever I do, I get a live person, and prompt service for the situation. My suggestion would be to call during the workday, and not at the end of the day. I think CC's offices are in Oregon. As far as I know, that's where the call center is - no outsourced customer service with them.

One thing I especially like about CC is signing up for a lower plan, which will then automatically upgrade to the next higher plan if I go over the allowance. I have the option of going back to the lower service the following month if I want. Best of all is I can do plenty from their website without ever calling in. I like being able to handle my own situation like that.

Service for me, with an AT&T SIM card in my iPhone works great. My spouse went back and forth between the AT&T and T-Mobile cards, and never was able to get good service inside the Costco warehouse. The metal building interfered with things. (Note that CC sent SIM cards for free when requested, as we tried switching back and forth.) A few months ago we discovered a cell service option available through our cable provider that uses Verizon towers, so we switched spouse's over to that. Great happiness ensued, and there is now a fine Verizon cell signal inside Costco's building. I stayed with Consumer Cellular, and was able to drop down to their 250 mins / 3gb data plan, for $25 a month. I can live with that, since I rarely will ever use that much of either part.

If things with CC don't work to your satisfaction for some reason, you can cancel and take your business elsewhere. No contract gives you that freedom. And if you want to keep the number, yes, get the new service first, and transfer the number to them.

I think you'll be surprised and happy with their service. I know I was. Now I'm a fan.

Dave

Thanks, Dave! Glad to hear it has been working well for you. We like to keep things simple and inexpensive when it comes to these phones. Should have the phone by the end of next week and once we move up to NH we will see how it goes. Now that we no longer are working - and no longer have a landline- our cell phone "needs" have changed, which is why we keep just the one little IPhone SE smart phone with Straight Talk ($45 per month unlimited) (maybe will replace with the 6S Plus I got for a gift - not sure what to do with that one- need to find out if it is locked for Straight Talk or in unlocked) and the flip for hubby. My IPhone is our main phone number now, taking the place of the landline.

If he is home and I go out, he puts his phone on just in case I need to call him or,of course, when he is out driving himself. He rarely, if ever, got a phone call on his own phone anyway, so changing the number was really not a big concern. I think he got one or two text messages in all the years he had the Pure Talk phone, so that is why we didn't bother with the text or data plan this time.

We have the outlets in the new house for landlines just in case we decide to go back to that also, but I doubt it. I guess we won;t be using the Echo Connect anymore then though, and I liked that feature for voice shout out for 911. But Alexa can do the "Ask My Buddy" thing so I have to refamiliarize myself with that. Putting it on my list of a zillion things to do. LOL!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Dave! Glad to hear it has been working well for you. We like to keep things simple and inexpensive when it comes to these phones.

That was what I was facing. I paid Verizon too much for years for contract service. Dropping down to Consumer Cellular was a huge thing for us. But it's worked out well, as I've explained. I'm watching my own cell use very closely, to see if I can drop to CC's next lower plan, but it only saves $5 a month. I doubt I'll bother, since I like having the buffer of extra allowance, if needed. The "bump to the higher plan" is convenient, but a hassle to remember to go back in and set it back lower if I happen to go over. In ~15 months of service with them, that only happened once, during a vacation trip where we didn't have Wifi available.

Two caveats to remember with CC: If your service isn't as good as you like, ask them for the other SIM card and switch your phone to the other cell towers. It did make a difference for us, not so much around town, but at home. The SIM cards once removed from your phone can't be reused, so you'll need a new SIM card if you want to switch back again.

The other thing, if you happen to be an AARP member, is you'll get a 5% (I think) reduction on your bill. Every penny counts, right?

I'll be curious to hear how this works out for you.

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
That was what I was facing. I paid Verizon too much for years for contract service. Dropping down to Consumer Cellular was a huge thing for us. But it's worked out well, as I've explained. I'm watching my own cell use very closely, to see if I can drop to CC's next lower plan, but it only saves $5 a month. I doubt I'll bother, since I like having the buffer of extra allowance, if needed. The "bump to the higher plan" is convenient, but a hassle to remember to go back in and set it back lower if I happen to go over. In ~15 months of service with them, that only happened once, during a vacation trip where we didn't have Wifi available.

Two caveats to remember with CC: If your service isn't as good as you like, ask them for the other SIM card and switch your phone to the other cell towers. It did make a difference for us, not so much around town, but at home. The SIM cards once removed from your phone can't be reused, so you'll need a new SIM card if you want to switch back again.

The other thing, if you happen to be an AARP member, is you'll get a 5% (I think) reduction on your bill. Every penny counts, right?

I'll be curious to hear how this works out for you.

Dave

Good to know about the SIM cards. The rep made it sound like I could take it out of the flip phone and put it in the IPhone to see if it works. I think we will just stick with the flip phone. That’s all he needs anyway. It was kind of expensive at $30, but we are too busy to have to shop around for one. Not worth our time right now. Hopefully it comes with the right SIM card for AT&T.

Yes- I know about AARP, but we don’t belong. They really should just give senior discounts but they don’t. It would have been .75 cents for us each month.