TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a favorite coffee that can be used in a percolator?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by dmbrand, Jan 13, 2019.

1. dmbrand

dmbrand Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Harbor Ridge
    2 units
    We have had several coffee brewers over the years....Drip, Keurig, French Press, etc. We just began using an electric percolator, which we are enjoying. There are lots of brands of coffee on the shelves, but I think most are for drip makers. I did find a coarse ground coffee online, but wondering if anyone has a grocery store favorite that has the right grind.

mpumilia likes this.
  2. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    We get whole beans at Trader Joes, you can grind there to any size you want. Shouldn't grind your own work? Trying to remember, lol

dmbrand and DrQ like this.
  3. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed), Inverness by the Sea
    Why not buy a burr grinder and buy the best roast?

Sapper and dmbrand like this.
  4. dmbrand

Resorts Owned:
    Harbor Ridge
    2 units
    Well, I guess I am too cheap, possibly lazy. Looking for brand I can grab off the shelf to get the banquet coffee taste.

mpumilia likes this.
  5. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Understand, you can get custom grinds in most grocery stores.

dmbrand likes this.
  6. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

You should be able to perc any coffee that says 'drip' grind. If you use a commercial grinder at Trader Joe's or your neighborhood store, try perhaps one number coarser than the recommended drip grind. I have one of those big honkin' red Jerico grinders. Espresso is 1, drip is 2, perc is 3, and press is like 8 or so. Like the beans are barely cracked (kidding). You might get some residue in the bottom of your cup using off the shelf drip grind. Just don't drink the last swallow.

Now,you asked, so here goes. We are in Mazatlan, Mexico. There is a big commercial roaster here that sells in the 140 year old Mercado Central. I have them mix half & half their medium roast and their black roast 'con asucar' (with sugar). The burnt sugar gives the brewed coffee an orange color and depth of flavor character that I find appealing. I bring home 4-6 kilos when returning. I got into this perhaps 30 or more years ago.

Jim

DrQ, LisaH, dmbrand and 1 other person like this.
  7. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    We buy whole beans loose at "Fresh Market."
    Self-ground beans are the best.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    dmbrand likes this.
  8. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    There are different settings on grocery store grinders. Set it for perc and you're in business with whatever beans you wish to buy. Fresh Market, Whole Foods and Kroger are just a few I'm familiar with that have the in-store grinders right there in the coffee aisle.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    dmbrand and DrQ like this.
  9. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    I use my percolator for boating or camping. I like Folgers and eggshells in the basket. Egg shells aren't too important too me but supposedly they that the bitter taste out. After the coffee perks and is ready to pour I pull the perk basket out of the pot and add a splash of cold water to knock down the grounds.

Bill

dmbrand likes this.
  10. pittle

pittle Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Luxxe
    Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
    If you buy the disk type filters, you can use any kind of coffee & easier clean-up too. We have an older Farberware super fast electric percolator that makes great coffee. We use a drip coffeemaker now, but sometimes use the percolator when we need both regular and de-caf when we have guests. We have taken the this with us on vacation - back when all hotels and timeshares did not have coffeemakers.

dmbrand likes this.
  11. dmbrand

Resorts Owned:
    Harbor Ridge
    2 units
    We are learning that the drip grinds do taste a bit more bitter. I have a small electric grinder, but I get a mix of fine/medium and large bean chunks.

Might have to try a small can of Folgers; it’s been years since I’ve purchased. Our usual grocery store took out the coffee grinder unit, in favor of a big Starbucks brand area. I use to love going to Trader Joe’s, back when we were taking our kids to and from college....alas, it is 100 miles away.

12. dmbrand

Resorts Owned:
    Harbor Ridge
    2 units
    I just googled the disk filter....good idea! Didn’t know this existed. Thanks!

13. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Booo ... Hisss

Impact grinders create a lot of dust. I don't know how those small particles hold up in a percolator even if you have a disk filter.

Chrispee and dmbrand like this.
  14. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    My husband loves his coffee and his percolator! He recommends Costco's Honduran whole bean. He tried the Blue Mountain but likes the Costco Honduran better. He grinds it there in the store and sets it to grind for percolator. I'm a tea drinker so don't share his addiction.

I've posted on another thread about him finding himself a Farberware percolator at a Goodwill thrift in the same plaza as one of our favorite restaurants. He had been reminiscing about how good percolator coffee used to taste back in the day and wanted to get a percolator. When I looked at them online and told him what they cost he said he was fine with the coffee maker he had. Anyhow, I usually leave him sitting in that restaurant waiting for the bill while I head over to the thrift store to see what I can find for our granddaughters. He's really patient about stopping at the thrift stores and offering an opinion about the clothes and toys I find for the granddaughters when he joins me after he's killed time looking at the books. Unbeknownst to me he had been checking to see if he could find a percolator before he looked at the books for a couple of months before he found one. He wasn't taking any chances and immediately took it up to the register to pay for it. When he came up to me holding his paid for treasure you would have thought he was a kid on Christmas morning. Btw I get big time points for not laughing at him or teasing him. On the way home he asked what they sold for new so I looked it up again because I didn't remember either. He was thrilled when I told him his brand new never used percolator that he paid $5 for sells for $70 and up. After that he kept looking for another one to put in the travel box and serve as a back up if the first one ever dies.

Our other coffee story is about our son. Our son didn't drink coffee when he lived at home and started drinking it sometime after the age of about 25. My husband drinks his coffee black and in just the past couple of years has started saving some of his morning pot of coffee to make himself an iced coffee for an afternoon treat. He puts milk and a little cinnamon in the iced coffee. No more coffee later than that unless he wants to sleep in the guest bedroom. His legs and feet twitch and jerk half the night if he drinks coffee after dinner or later. Must be an age thing because he didn't start doing that until he was in his late 50's. So I was up North at our son's and cleaning up the kitchen while the younger granddaughter was down for her nap. I asked our son if he wanted the rest of the coffee or I should dump it. He works from home; afternoon/evening hours and usually only drinks it in the afternoon while he's working. He doesn't have to have it first thing in the morning like "normal" coffee people. I started to nuke it and our son says don't do that I drink it cold. I say but it's black because even I know cold black coffee is nasty and he says yes I drink it that way. Who drinks cold black coffee that's been sitting out? I could hardly wait to go upstairs, call my husband and inform him he hadn't raised our son right. That he really needed to have a talk with him and why. He thinks the French press coffee our son drinks is awful anyhow so when I told him our son drinks it cold and black he was really appalled.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  15. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I like my coffee like me, dark and bitter.

16. 1st Class

1st Class TUG Member

Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of the grounds before percolating to remove some of the bitterness. It really works! If you have a friend in the restaurant business you could order a commercial blend. I'm a tea drinker but I do love restaurant coffee!

DrQ and dmbrand like this.
  17. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    dmbrand likes this.
  18. CO skier

CO skier TUG Member

As mentioned, if you use a paper filter, you can you any brand off the shelf. I can find the paper filters only at my local ACE Hardware or online. If you have trouble finding the filters, the drip style filters can work, too.

I like the Starbucks Pike Place brand. 6 cups of water in the percolator and 5 rounded tablespoons of coffee in the filter basket. I avoid a bitter taste by brewing no more than 6 cups at a time and unplugging the percolator as soon as the cycle completes, then pour and reheat as needed in the microwave (don't allow to boil).

19. CO skier

CO skier TUG Member

NOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Well, try the Folgers, then try a quality coffee such as the Pike Place, and you will see what I mean.

20. CO skier

CO skier TUG Member

Sorry, the ratio should be 4 cups water and 5 rounded tablespoons coffee.

dmbrand likes this.
  21. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    I don't drink coffee, but my husband does and uses Folgers in our 41 year old Farberware electric peculator.

dmbrand likes this.
  22. wackymother

wackymother TUG Member

I like strong coffee. I sometimes get fancy stuff, but I also like Chock Full O Nuts New York blend. And of course Cafe Bustelo!

dmbrand likes this.
  23. dmbrand

Resorts Owned:
    Harbor Ridge
    2 units
    I think finding the right roast might be the key, especially if I can use the disk filter to prevent grounds from getting through the strainer basket.
    If the roast is too dark, we don’t care for the bitterness that seems to come out with the percolator. I have a nice mellow roast, coarse ground that I found from a supplier on Amazon, but it it a bit pricy. Plus, my hubby can’t pick that up when he is running errands. Just trying to keep it simple, I guess.

24. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    :thumbup: I like that brand, we have it work in a single serve machine which does a grind and fresh brew.

25. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    dmbrand likes this.