• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone have a favorite coffee that can be used in a percolator?

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
We have had several coffee brewers over the years....Drip, Keurig, French Press, etc. We just began using an electric percolator, which we are enjoying. There are lots of brands of coffee on the shelves, but I think most are for drip makers. I did find a coarse ground coffee online, but wondering if anyone has a grocery store favorite that has the right grind.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We get whole beans at Trader Joes, you can grind there to any size you want. Shouldn't grind your own work? Trying to remember, lol

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Why not buy a burr grinder and buy the best roast?

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Why not buy a burr grinder and buy the best roast?
Well, I guess I am too cheap, possibly lazy. Looking for brand I can grab off the shelf to get the banquet coffee taste.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I guess I am too cheap, possibly lazy. Looking for brand I can grab off the shelf to get the banquet coffee taste.
Understand, you can get custom grinds in most grocery stores.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be able to perc any coffee that says 'drip' grind. If you use a commercial grinder at Trader Joe's or your neighborhood store, try perhaps one number coarser than the recommended drip grind. I have one of those big honkin' red Jerico grinders. Espresso is 1, drip is 2, perc is 3, and press is like 8 or so. Like the beans are barely cracked (kidding). You might get some residue in the bottom of your cup using off the shelf drip grind. Just don't drink the last swallow.

Now,you asked, so here goes. We are in Mazatlan, Mexico. There is a big commercial roaster here that sells in the 140 year old Mercado Central. I have them mix half & half their medium roast and their black roast 'con asucar' (with sugar). The burnt sugar gives the brewed coffee an orange color and depth of flavor character that I find appealing. I bring home 4-6 kilos when returning. I got into this perhaps 30 or more years ago.

Jim

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We buy whole beans loose at "Fresh Market."
Self-ground beans are the best.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
There are different settings on grocery store grinders. Set it for perc and you're in business with whatever beans you wish to buy. Fresh Market, Whole Foods and Kroger are just a few I'm familiar with that have the in-store grinders right there in the coffee aisle.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I use my percolator for boating or camping. I like Folgers and eggshells in the basket. Egg shells aren't too important too me but supposedly they that the bitter taste out. After the coffee perks and is ready to pour I pull the perk basket out of the pot and add a splash of cold water to knock down the grounds.

Bill

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
If you buy the disk type filters, you can use any kind of coffee & easier clean-up too. We have an older Farberware super fast electric percolator that makes great coffee. We use a drip coffeemaker now, but sometimes use the percolator when we need both regular and de-caf when we have guests. We have taken the this with us on vacation - back when all hotels and timeshares did not have coffeemakers.

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
We are learning that the drip grinds do taste a bit more bitter. I have a small electric grinder, but I get a mix of fine/medium and large bean chunks.

Might have to try a small can of Folgers; it’s been years since I’ve purchased. Our usual grocery store took out the coffee grinder unit, in favor of a big Starbucks brand area. I use to love going to Trader Joe’s, back when we were taking our kids to and from college....alas, it is 100 miles away.

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
I just googled the disk filter....good idea! Didn’t know this existed. Thanks!

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our usual grocery store took out the coffee grinder unit, in favor of a big Starbucks brand area. I use to love going to Trader Joe’s, back when we were taking our kids to and from college....alas, it is 100 miles away.
Booo ... Hisss

We are learning that the drip grinds do taste a bit more bitter. I have a small electric grinder, but I get a mix of fine/medium and large bean chunks.
Impact grinders create a lot of dust. I don't know how those small particles hold up in a percolator even if you have a disk filter.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
My husband loves his coffee and his percolator! He recommends Costco's Honduran whole bean. He tried the Blue Mountain but likes the Costco Honduran better. He grinds it there in the store and sets it to grind for percolator. I'm a tea drinker so don't share his addiction.

I've posted on another thread about him finding himself a Farberware percolator at a Goodwill thrift in the same plaza as one of our favorite restaurants. He had been reminiscing about how good percolator coffee used to taste back in the day and wanted to get a percolator. When I looked at them online and told him what they cost he said he was fine with the coffee maker he had. Anyhow, I usually leave him sitting in that restaurant waiting for the bill while I head over to the thrift store to see what I can find for our granddaughters. He's really patient about stopping at the thrift stores and offering an opinion about the clothes and toys I find for the granddaughters when he joins me after he's killed time looking at the books. Unbeknownst to me he had been checking to see if he could find a percolator before he looked at the books for a couple of months before he found one. He wasn't taking any chances and immediately took it up to the register to pay for it. When he came up to me holding his paid for treasure you would have thought he was a kid on Christmas morning. Btw I get big time points for not laughing at him or teasing him. On the way home he asked what they sold for new so I looked it up again because I didn't remember either. He was thrilled when I told him his brand new never used percolator that he paid $5 for sells for $70 and up. After that he kept looking for another one to put in the travel box and serve as a back up if the first one ever dies.

Our other coffee story is about our son. Our son didn't drink coffee when he lived at home and started drinking it sometime after the age of about 25. My husband drinks his coffee black and in just the past couple of years has started saving some of his morning pot of coffee to make himself an iced coffee for an afternoon treat. He puts milk and a little cinnamon in the iced coffee. No more coffee later than that unless he wants to sleep in the guest bedroom. His legs and feet twitch and jerk half the night if he drinks coffee after dinner or later. Must be an age thing because he didn't start doing that until he was in his late 50's. So I was up North at our son's and cleaning up the kitchen while the younger granddaughter was down for her nap. I asked our son if he wanted the rest of the coffee or I should dump it. He works from home; afternoon/evening hours and usually only drinks it in the afternoon while he's working. He doesn't have to have it first thing in the morning like "normal" coffee people. I started to nuke it and our son says don't do that I drink it cold. I say but it's black because even I know cold black coffee is nasty and he says yes I drink it that way. Who drinks cold black coffee that's been sitting out? I could hardly wait to go upstairs, call my husband and inform him he hadn't raised our son right. That he really needed to have a talk with him and why. He thinks the French press coffee our son drinks is awful anyhow so when I told him our son drinks it cold and black he was really appalled.

Last edited:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of the grounds before percolating to remove some of the bitterness. It really works! If you have a friend in the restaurant business you could order a commercial blend. I'm a tea drinker but I do love restaurant coffee!

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did find a coarse ground coffee online, but wondering if anyone has a grocery store favorite that has the right grind.
As mentioned, if you use a paper filter, you can you any brand off the shelf. I can find the paper filters only at my local ACE Hardware or online. If you have trouble finding the filters, the drip style filters can work, too.

I like the Starbucks Pike Place brand. 6 cups of water in the percolator and 5 rounded tablespoons of coffee in the filter basket. I avoid a bitter taste by brewing no more than 6 cups at a time and unplugging the percolator as soon as the cycle completes, then pour and reheat as needed in the microwave (don't allow to boil).

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the Starbucks Pike Place brand. 6 cups of water in the percolator and 5 rounded tablespoons of coffee in the filter basket.
Sorry, the ratio should be 4 cups water and 5 rounded tablespoons coffee.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't drink coffee, but my husband does and uses Folgers in our 41 year old Farberware electric peculator.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like strong coffee. I sometimes get fancy stuff, but I also like Chock Full O Nuts New York blend. And of course Cafe Bustelo!

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
I think finding the right roast might be the key, especially if I can use the disk filter to prevent grounds from getting through the strainer basket.
If the roast is too dark, we don’t care for the bitterness that seems to come out with the percolator. I have a nice mellow roast, coarse ground that I found from a supplier on Amazon, but it it a bit pricy. Plus, my hubby can’t pick that up when he is running errands. Just trying to keep it simple, I guess.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like the Starbucks Pike Place brand. ... I avoid a bitter taste by brewing no more than 6 cups at a time and unplugging the percolator as soon as the cycle completes, then pour and reheat as needed in the microwave (don't allow to boil).
Sorry, the ratio should be 4 cups water and 5 rounded tablespoons coffee.
:thumbup: I like that brand, we have it work in a single serve machine which does a grind and fresh brew.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited: