• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2018] Anyone ever use the Marriott Resales Department

Darren21

Reaction score
Thanks....i called Marriott resale and they are currently not taking anymore weeks for resale...said I can deed back to Marriott for no $ or sell on own....At this point I'm considering just the bronze week and keeping silver....

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks....i called Marriott resale and they are currently not taking anymore weeks for resale...said I can deed back to Marriott for no $ or sell on own....At this point I'm considering just the bronze week and keeping silver....

Did they say they weren’t taking any weeks or any Oceanwatch weeks? Please clarify.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
What they actually mean is that they have so many in line to sell that it is pointless to take any more listing agreements since another would likely not move within the 1 year time frame of the listing expiration. There are properties that they do not sell at all, like Willow Ridge. I believe this is due to license requirements to broker in Missouri but I could be wrong. Ocean Watch is definitely a property that they actively sell although I do not believe they list Bronze weeks at all. Just Platinum, Gold, and Silver.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Also, the price on offer is subject to change: I would check back periodically if you're not thrilled.....

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, the price on offer is subject to change: I would check back periodically if you're not thrilled.....

For a buyback offer this is true. I had one double in a matter of a week. For resales the prices do not change often and when they do they go down. I do not think I have ever seen a resale list price go up.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
For a buyback offer this is true. I had one double in a matter of a week. For resales the prices do not change often and when they do they go down. I do not think I have ever seen a resale list price go up.

Not always true. When we bought our Silver Barony garden view week in 2014 from Marriott Resales, the cost was $3300. A while back they increased the price and there is now one listed for $3700.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
What they actually mean is that they have so many in line to sell that it is pointless to take any more listing agreements since another would likely not move within the 1 year time frame of the listing expiration.
Many years ago when I had Marriott sell my Sabal Palms Week for me it took 3 years. Marriott was easier to deal with back then. First, the commission was only 20%. Second, during the 3 years I waited for it to sell they helped me reserve a desirable Week and rented it for me. Even after their commission for renting my proceeds were greater than my MF. And oh yes, they sold it for more than I paid for it.

George

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Notified today that the sale of my Barony ocean side silver week is completed and we can pick up the check from the attorney. So we made $3,000 on the $5,000 sale plus $250.00 when the first buyer backed out and lost their $500.00 deposit, which we split with Marriott. Plus no more $1,000+ maintenance fees.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
We kept the bronze week because there’s no market for it; it’s not a bad trader; and as local owners it gives us access to the Barony’s facilities, which we frequently use.

jbeachlvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
The Suites at Eastern Slope Inn
Vistana Flex
Hi. Just so I understand, Marriott Resale will not buy back a unit or re-sell it if it’s located at a non-U.S. resort? Only they will take it back for zero $? I own a Platinum week at Aruba Surf Club that I would gladly sell, if they would buy it back/ resell it, even if I had to go on wait list. 40% commission sounds a bit better than listing it yourself to then be HOUNDED with crazy emails and calls!

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Hi. Just so I understand, Marriott Resale will not buy back a unit or re-sell it if it’s located at a non-U.S. resort? Only they will take it back for zero $? I own a Platinum week at Aruba Surf Club that I would gladly sell, if they would buy it back/ resell it, even if I had to go on wait list. 40% commission sounds a bit better than listing it yourself to then be HOUNDED with crazy emails and calls!

The U.S. Marriott Resales department in Florida does not list Aruba weeks, but we know from reported experiences that the Marriott sales office in Aruba does offer Aruba weeks for sale as an alternative to buying trust points. I'm not sure where they get these weeks - whether they are all from foreclosures, ROFR, and deed-backs, or whether some are weeks that have been bought back from owners. I guess if foreclosures, ROFR, and deed-backs provided them adequate inventory to meet their weeks sales needs in Aruba, then buybacks wouldn't be necessary. Maybe some of our international/Aruba owner TUGgers can offer more insight.

Other than that, I agree with TXTortoise, if Marriott won't buy it, list it with an independent broker. In that case you name/email is known only to the broker and you won't be subject to the calls from scammers. The independent brokers sell for considerably less than Marriott, but their commission is generally much less as well. This recent linked thread mentions some reputable brokers and just doing a forum search for resale brokers should yield contact info. https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...to-buy-marriott-vacation-club-resales.271236/

Some brokers that typically get high marks here are Seth Nock/Samuel Rodriguez with Selling Timeshares, Judi Kozlowski with ReMax, Syed Sarmad with Advantage Vacations, Magical Realty/David Cortese, Conceirge Realty, and many more. I've bought a week from Samuel and one from Judi's team. I've also talked extensively with Syed, but he didn't have what I was looking for at the time.

jbeachlvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
The Suites at Eastern Slope Inn
Vistana Flex
The U.S. Marriott Resales department in Florida does not list Aruba weeks, but we know from reported experiences that the Marriott sales office in Aruba does offer Aruba weeks for sale as an alternative to buying trust points. I'm not sure where they get these weeks - whether they are all from foreclosures, ROFR, and deed-backs, or whether some are weeks that have been bought back from owners. I guess if foreclosures, ROFR, and deed-backs provided them adequate inventory to meet their weeks sales needs in Aruba, then buybacks wouldn't be necessary. Maybe some of our international/Aruba owner TUGgers can offer more insight.

Other than that, I agree with TXTortoise, if Marriott won't buy it, list it with an independent broker. In that case you name/email is known only to the broker and you won't be subject to the calls from scammers. The independent brokers sell for considerably less than Marriott, but their commission is generally much less as well. This recent linked thread mentions some reputable brokers and just doing a forum search for resale brokers should yield contact info. https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...to-buy-marriott-vacation-club-resales.271236/

Some brokers that typically get high marks here are Seth Nock/Samuel Rodriguez with Selling Timeshares, Judi Kozlowski with ReMax, Syed Sarmad with Advantage Vacations, Magical Realty/David Cortese, Conceirge Realty, and many more. I've bought a week from Samuel and one from Judi's team. I've also talked extensively with Syed, but he didn't have what I was looking for at the time.

Thank you for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
For resales the prices do not change often and when they do they go down. I do not think I have ever seen a resale list price go up.
When I had a Sabal Palms red week listed about 10 years ago, they revised the sales agreement to increase the price in the middle of the contract. Of course, then the Great Recession hit and the bottom dropped out of the market and prices were eventually significantly reduced before it sold.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have been inquiring about listing a platinum Harbour Lake for the last two years. I probably contact Marriott about 2 times a year in January and September. Finally contacted in early July that if I were still interested they would forward the listing papers and I would have 14 days to return them. I did. Just heard back last week that they have a buyer and if all goes smoothly I will net $4400 with first use starting in 2019.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I had a Sabal Palms red week listed about 10 years ago, they revised the sales agreement to increase the price in the middle of the contract....

Same thing happened to me when Marriott sold my Sabal Palms Week about 20-25 years ago. They raised the price 2 or 3 times during the 3 years it took to sell which is why I ended up selling it at a small profit...

George

jojobebe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wanted to provide an update on my 3 bedroom platinum at the Grande Vista. I received an email from Marriott resales a couple of months ago that my unit was put on the active list. A few weeks later I was informed they had a buyer. I signed all the paperwork and sent it back to them. The buyer rescinded within a week. The following week I was informed they had another buyer. I again sent them the paperwork. It has now been two weeks so the rescinding period (ten days) is over. If the buyer backs out now, I split the down payment with Marriott Resales. I am told the closing process will take a couple of months. Will let everyone know when/if it goes through. Steve

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Does Marriott buy back DP contracts?

jojobebe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, not sure. I purchased my unit about 19 yrs ago on the secondary market and it was a deeded (property tax, etc.) unit. Marriott has been asking me to switch it to a point based unit for awhile but the benefits being offered never appealed to me.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Marriott buy back DP contracts?
No MVC will not offer to buy back Destination Club Points from you.
They may well invoke their Right of First Refusal though to take them if you have a private buyer at a price below a certain level - $4-5 per Point?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
No MVC will not offer to buy back Destination Club Points from you.
They may well invoke their Right of First Refusal though to take them if you have a private buyer at a price below a certain level - $4-5 per Point?

That would be okay. I paid $3 PP plus $2 in activation fees. I am not eager to sell now. I was just wondering for the future when/if we decide to no longer use it. Right now, I can’t imagine selling.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That would be okay. I paid $3 PP plus $2 in activation fees. I am not eager to sell now. I was just wondering for the future when/if we decide to no longer use it. Right now, I can’t imagine selling.
One person posted on TUG that due to life circumstances, she(?) contacted Marriott to relieve of her timeshare obligations which included both points and a week. She reported that Marriott bought it back for something $6.xx per point from her and a few thousand dollars for her week. I suspect that Marriott treats such requests on a case by case basis.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Well those links don't take me to a resale list :(
Got a 1BR MOC Island View (enrolled)legacy week I'm thinking of unloading, wonder if there's any demand..............:ponder: