• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone else have poor video with CBS app on Apple 4k TV?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I have an Apple 4k TV connected to a 65” LG tv that was rated as the best TV in 2018 by several consumer websites. I love it and watching 4k video is fantastic. Unfortunately, there isn’t too much product available yet that is truly 4k. My wife and I both love sports (yes, I am an Alabama Crimson Tide fan) and love watching on this tv. However, games viewed on the CBS app are not clear. The video is very fuzzy at times, almost like a very hard rain is falling at the game site. Games on other apps like ESPN, NBC, and Fox are very clear and all other apps are fine. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yup, I’ve got the same issue. Just last week I started watching shows on the CBS app on Roku and was disappointed with the quality. However, it’s not all shows...the new Star Trek is just great.

BTW, I also have a LG 65” OLED and it’s great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Likely they need to fix their app then (or more likely the source format. I do not use the CBS app, but as you and others have said, I do not have the issue with other apps. My main pps on ATV are Emby, Philo, Infuse, and Amazon Prime. I have done ESPN previously and it was also fine.

If Roku and ATV are both displays some shows in the manner you described, then the video they are playing is in some odd non streaming device friendly format, container, codec, etc.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yup, I’ve got the same issue. Just last week I started watching shows on the CBS app on Roku and was disappointed with the quality. However, it’s not all shows...the new Star Trek is just great.

BTW, I also have a LG 65” OLED and it’s great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, I guess that’s comforting knowing it isn’t just me. I love the OLED TV. I have AT&T U-Verse for cable and they don’t have a 4k receiver. That’s why I have to use the Apple 4k to get the best picture on the tv. I was just concerned that maybe there was a setting that needed to be adjusted and I had no idea what it was. The OLED tv is quite complicated when you start looking through all the settings. However, when you get a true 4k picture, it is visually stunning.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Likely they need to fix their app then (or more likely the source format. I do not use the CBS app, but as you and others have said, I do not have the issue with other apps. My main pps on ATV are Emby, Philo, Infuse, and Amazon Prime. I have done ESPN previously and it was also fine.

If Roku and ATV are both displays some shows in the manner you described, then the video they are playing is in some odd non streaming device friendly format, container, codec, etc.
Thanks, Steve. Appreciate the information.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Chances are it’s the HDR that is more stunning to you than 4K. If you’re more than a few feet from your TV, your eyeballs can’t tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. It’s the black level of the OLED TV that makes all the difference. I have two of them. Learn how to calibrate it properly and it will look amazing but 4K has very little to do with it unless your nose is an inch from the screen.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Deleted

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chances are it’s the HDR that is more stunning to you than 4K. If you’re more than a few feet from your TV, your eyeballs can’t tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. It’s the black level of the OLED TV that makes all the difference. I have two of them. Learn how to calibrate it properly and it will look amazing but 4K has very little to do with it unless your nose is an inch from the screen.
Where do I go to learn to calibrate it properly and does it have to be re-calibrated each time I change inputs?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Where do I go to learn to calibrate it properly and does it have to be re-calibrated each time I change inputs?

the easiest way to do it is to Google your make and model number and add calibration settings. You’ll usually get a link to a CNET website or something and will get what a professional did. Every room is different of course but it’s close enough for me.

usually, you calibrate off the Cinema setting and as long as all your inputs are set to cinema, you won’t need to calibrate again. You can even flip to dynamic or game and the calibration settings will be remembered in cinema when you switch back.

Regarding CBS, I think it’s a problem on their end. I’ve watched college football on CBS over the air and noticed the same blur. The weird thing is, the stat and score box was crystal clear and the game had a slight blur. This was with a HD antenna with perfect reception. I would switch to the game on ABC and it would be perfect. There are no settings that will fix this until CBS improves quality.