TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody booked 51/52 at Lagunamar?

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by DannyTS, Jan 5, 2019.

1. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

If Vistana made any 51/52 weeks available to regular platinum members (not event week owners), somebody managed to book them. Since the TUGgers are some of the more experienced and more knowledgeable owners (like knowing to try exactly at 12AM ET 12 months before) I assume that a Tugger might have gotten lucky.

1) Have you tried to book 51/52 in the last few years?

2) When is the last time you managed to book? Did you manage to book when the 12 months window opened or you noticed availability randomly?

3) What do you own? Regular platinum bought resale or retail or Westin Aventuras?

I personally did not try but reports that nothing has been available to regular platinum owners while Vistana has availability for those buying the Explorer package do intrigue me.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

so I guess...nobody?

3. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    I own Fixed Event Week 51 at WLR in the Platinum Plus season. In the past I have had great success changing it to week 52 at exactly 12 months out to go New Years instead of Christmas. That was back around 2014. In the last few years I have not been able to do it, or even move my check in day a few days back due to no inventory available even though I own that season, but there is nothing now 12 months out.

4. Markus

Markus TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WLR, WSJ, WKV, WDW, VSE 5*
    Impossible to book, and I have tried every day since Dec 20. Its been this way for the last two years. Makes me think I will sell a few platinum weeks.

Markus.

5. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

Maybe somebody could write a letter to Vistana asking for details. What is the actual number of 51-52 condos that regular platinum owners have access to? At 12 months, what number of condos was booked by:

-people who own 51-52?
    -regular platinum plus owners?
    -Westin Aventuras owners?
    -Vistana?

What is the actual number of 51-52 condos that regular platinum owners should have access to?

What department/ person should the email/letter be addressed to?
    If anyone goes to the annual meetings this topic should also be brought up.

6. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    You might be able to get an answer to that question....

I can almost guarantee you won't get answers to those questions as that would be proprietary/competitive information.

7. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

Proprietary or embarrassing and potentially damaging... i suspect the latter.

At the same time, we should not assume that they are not accountable for anything.

8. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    Proprietary can also be embarrassing and potentially damaging. :thumbup:

9. echino

echino TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Piñon Pointe
    Harborside Resort at Atlantis
    Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
    There are ads on TUG marketplace for weeks 51/52 rental, which shows that some weeks were booked. Maybe they are fixed week owners though.

10. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

i do not know why it would be proprietary to disclose the number of platinum plus owners that booked weeks 51-52 when the the 12 month window opened. It should match 50% of the phase 1 as per the Lagunamar governing documents page 24:

12.3. Vacation Ownership Interest types.
    (a) The following Vacation Ownership Interests may be assigned to a
    Membership:
    Weekly designations may be Ultra Premium, Fixed, Float or Event. Currently the only Event
    Weeks designated are Christmas Week and New Year’s Week. These weeks shall be designated
    on the Vacation Calendar. For Phase One Vacation Units, no more than 50% of the Vacation
    Ownership Interests in each Vacation Week shall be designated as Ultra Premium, Fixed,
    or Event. For Phase Two, Three and Four Vacation Units, the Vacation Weeks including
    Christmas and New Year’s Day will be sold exclusively as Event Weeks. No more than 50%
    of the Vacation Ownership Interests in any other Vacation Week shall be designated as
    Ultra Premium, Fixed or Event. In addition, no more than 50% of the Vacation Ownership
    Interests in Phase One, Two, Three or Four will be sold with a Fixed Unit designation.
    (A) Vacation Ownership Interests with a Floating Week
    Designation shall be assigned to a Season. The Equity Membership Certificate for a Vacation
    Ownership Interest that has a floating Vacation Period will designate the “Season” for which the
    floating use rights apply. The Founding Member has reserved the right to designate other or
    additional Seasons for additional Vacation Units. Currently, the seasons for the Vacation Units
    are:
    (I) Platinum Plus: Vacation Weeks: 5-17, 24-35, 44-47,
    51 & 52.
    (II) Gold Plus: Vacation Weeks: 1-4, 18-23, 36-43, 48-

11. BLUE AYES

BLUE AYES TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
    Plat. for Life
    These Mexican timeshares were offered for sale in the United States by an offering plan approved by the states attorney general. Since the offering plan for phase 1 was specific to phase 1 buyers, then legally I do not think that phase 2 or Aventuras buyers have a right to complain if they are closed out of week 51/52 reservations. That being said, I have owned phase 1 since pre-construction and I have been closed out for about the past four years.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:13 AM
  12. BLUE AYES

BLUE AYES TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
    Plat. for Life
    There are approximately 100 weeks 51 and 100 weeks 52, 2 BD/LOs available for non -event week owners. There are are approximately 5800 owners competing for those 100 weeks. What I do not know is how many weeks are owned by management. I assume that management pulls their week 51 and week 52 reservations before they are open to the phase 1 buyers.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:11 AM
  13. BLUE AYES

BLUE AYES TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Plat. for Life
    deleted

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:13 AM
  14. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

Because the developer owns more than 100 weeks and because it controls the booking system it has the ability (not the right IMO) to keep ALL 51-52 weeks that should be available for regular platinum owners. This is the only explanation why those who try milliseconds after the 12 month window opens get nothing.

I agree that potentially many owners could try to book 51 and 52. However, I do not think in reality a lot of people are on the computer when the window opens for those weeks. By the end of December when the window opens for the next 51-52, a lot of owners have already planned and booked their week and flights for their next year vacation and they are not going to cancel their reservation just to try for those weeks. Also, retail owners I talked to are the furthest from the methods that some TUGgers use (like atomic clock timing). If no one on this site has gotten anything, i can only conclude that there was nothing there at all.

15. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

All the weeks i own at Lagunamar are phase 1. By chance not by planning. Yet I think that in a floating system that does not give me any more rights that those that own any other phase.

My concern about Aventura owners is that they potentially have access a day earlier to those weeks and book anything that is left by the developer, if any. The regular owners can only book at 12 months Friday, Saturday or Sunday. So say for week 51 you had to try exactly 12 months before December 20th 2019. But the Aventuras owners checkin can start any day of the week so they could try the day before you for a Thu to Thu reservation so wiping all availability of the regular owners.

16. BLUE AYES

BLUE AYES TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Plat. for Life
    I totally agree with you. Just to clarify, do you believe that management owns over 200 phase 1 platinum plus weeks ? Because that would be the only explanation for a complete shut out of phase 1 owners

17. BLUE AYES

BLUE AYES TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Plat. for Life
    Honestly, I am not that familiar with how Aventuras works. I think it would be a violation of the phase 1 prospectus to offer our event weeks to phase 2 and Aventuras. We were induced to purchase with the legal promise of being able to “try“ to book week 51 and week 52. The prospectus for phase 2 specifically tells them that they are blocked from week 51 and week 52.

18. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

If you read all the Lagunamar documents the occupancy rate is about 92%: about 60% owners and 32% rentals. I think that Vistana does own a lot of weeks. But they actually do not need a high % of ownership to block all remaining 51 and 52 weeks:

300 studios + 300 1 bdr X 31 platinum weeks = 18600 maximum Lagunamar contracts. The delinquency rate is about 1% That alone is 186 contracts that they can use however they please!

19. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

this is very interesting. I did not realize that my phase 1 Lagunamar contracts may potentially have a better value. At the same time, the platinum plus season includes 51 and 52 for all phases so i am not sure they actually make in practice that distinction once you are a platinum plus owner regardless of the phase

20. BLUE AYES

BLUE AYES TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Plat. for Life
    7 bldgs x 8 floors x 3 2bd/lo
    2 bldgs x 6 floors x 3 “”””

21. BLUE AYES

BLUE AYES TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Plat. for Life
    The very first year they opened, I had upgraded my phase one 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom and at the closing they locked me in for Christmas. The second year they opened I had no problem booking week 51. By the third year, I was closed out. I spent about a week of phone calls with management in Orlando over the 50% issue, threatening to sue and they booked me a week 51 that year and then the following year. For the next year or two it was hit or miss. I’ve been closed out for at least the last three or four years.

22. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

just look at the lagunamar invoice for precise numbers. There are actually 290 2 bdr lockout units so i will amend my platinum total number of contracts:

(290 studios + 290 1 bdr) X 31 platinum weeks = 17980 maximum platinum plus Lagunamar contracts. Again, Vistana needs to own only a small percentage of that to keep all studios and 1 bdr condos. for 51 and 52 and leave nothing to owners.

upload_2019-1-12_9-32-57.png

23. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

Ha, if they thought they were not doing anything wrong, why did they book you 51 when you threatened to sue? This is very interesting. I am not sure you read this in another thread, last week somebody at Lagunamar was offered to book week 52 of 2019 if she was going to buy the Explorer package. Those packages are not even expensive, it seems to me that Vistana does keep a lot of 51 -52 weeks for themselves!

24. BLUE AYES

BLUE AYES TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Plat. for Life
    My issue with them back then was that the phone representatives were telling everybody that it was an event week and the lower level Orlando people thought that as well. I had to email them a copy of the prospectus for them to release week 51 and week 52 to everybody. The higher ups in Orlando actually claimed that they did not know that the phases were broken up that way. At that time, phase 2 prospectus was already in circulation.

25. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

At the owners update last year the low level sales person told me platinum members do not have access to 51-52. I corrected her and she seemed pretty embarrassed that she did not know. She was new and at the time I thought she just made a mistake. Now I realize that Vistana made it clear internally. Only us the owners foolishly think there is still a chance of booking those weeks.