• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Way to Avoid Losing my Booking Fee?

Gryphoak

Reaction score
I made a reservation for Portugal in May that I changed to Vegas in Dec in order to hold my reservation fee until I could decide on where to use my points. I ended up booking other vacations and won't want to travel again in Dec. Is there a way to somehow book for 2020 and use the same reservation fee? Does it help if I save 2019 points to use in this new reservation? Probably a lost cause but hoping someone on here may have a work-around.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Is there a way to somehow book for 2020 and use the same reservation fee?

No, you won't be able to move that reservation to 2020.

Does it help if I save 2019 points to use in this new reservation?

No, you won't be able to save those points to 2020 w/o cancelling the reservation, because they are being used in a reservation.

Probably a lost cause but hoping someone on here may have a work-around.
I can not think of any options, but maybe someone else might be able to think of something. I have learned so much from other TUG members from questions like this.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I think the only way to do that would have been to save them before you made the booking.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made a reservation for Portugal in May that I changed to Vegas in Dec in order to hold my reservation fee until I could decide on where to use my points. I ended up booking other vacations and won't want to travel again in Dec. Is there a way to somehow book for 2020 and use the same reservation fee? Does it help if I save 2019 points to use in this new reservation? Probably a lost cause but hoping someone on here may have a work-around.

I am unsure from this post whether you are also worried about losing your points - but it sounds like you may be.

You cannot use a 2019 reservation for anything but 2019. I have tried including talking to HGVC reps but there is not really anyway around it. If you are not going to travel in 2019 (or not going to send somebody else travelling) you should consider the reservation fee as lost. The changeable reservations allow you to do a lot but crossing a year is not one of them.

What is far more important than losing a reservation fee is losing a reasonable number of points. If you are using 2019 points in the reservation you could lose those. If this is the case, i would cancel the reservation and pay the fee to "rescue" those points and any other remaining 2019 points. Of course this all assumes that we are talking about enough points to justify the rescue fee.

Good luck !

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I am unsure from this post whether you are also worried about losing your points - but it sounds like you may be.

You cannot use a 2019 reservation for anything but 2019. I have tried including talking to HGVC reps but there is not really anyway around it. If you are not going to travel in 2019 (or not going to send somebody else travelling) you should consider the reservation fee as lost. The changeable reservations allow you to do a lot but crossing a year is not one of them.

What is far more important than losing a reservation fee is losing a reasonable number of points. If you are using 2019 points in the reservation you could lose those. If this is the case, i would cancel the reservation and pay the fee to "rescue" those points and any other remaining 2019 points. Of course this all assumes that we are talking about enough points to justify the rescue fee.

Good luck !

This. I know losing the booking fee is not what we want, but saving those points is the biggest issue. $67 compared to losing your MF is a small price to pay.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I concur with all the above.
Too bad you didn't change the December-booking to one that you'd use.
Alternatively, you could get a GC and "give" it to family or a friend to use.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I think the only way to do that would have been to save them before you made the booking.
No, saving the points prior to booking would not have helped. Bottom line is that a reservation can never be changed to a different calendar year, no matter where the points are coming from.

Kurt