• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any difficulty exchanging into HGVCHawaii properties?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
HGVC ROFR our MarBrisa last month but we still have our Platinum Bay Club EOYE. We didn’t Hiltonized it. Now I am 2nd guessing because I do like HGVC and concerned how The Borg will transform our Westin/Hyatt programs. So my question is how difficult is it to trade into HGVC Hawaii properties via RCI? Or is it best to trade via HGVC?

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't answer the RCI part as we've never done that, but we use our Vegas points (which are HGVC) to go to Hawaii (Big Island) regularly and have never failed to get what we want (Bay Club or Kohala).

Cheers.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I've gotten trades into Hawaii through RCI. The best ones come when HGVC does their bulk deposit.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you intend to visit the HGV Hawaii properties with any regularity or frequency, having HGV points will give you a significantly better chance at getting your reservation. Otherwise, playing the RCI exchange game limits you to visiting each resort once every four years because of their 1-in-4 rule. That is if you even get the week you need at the resort you want.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
In addition, with RCI you will need to pay resort fees on top of the RCI exchange fee. Resort fees can add up if you are staying a week or more. You can avoid that with HGVC internal exchange.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Was able to easily get two weeks in a row, same unit, 1 bedroom, nice city view at the Grand Waikikian thru the hgvc system in early April a few months prior. Waterview and front were available but didn’t choose it because it was many more points.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
If I was to Hiltonize our Bay Club, would I be assured to get our penthouse? It’s the reason why we purchased.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If I was to Hiltonize our Bay Club, would I be assured to get our penthouse? It’s the reason why we purchased.
There is no reason to join HGV if all you want is to stay in your owned unit. I never had a problem getting the week I wanted at Bay Club as an owner there. You just send in your request.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score

Reserve it one year in advance and you should get it. I had RCI years ago and found it very difficult to get HGVC properties in Hawaii. I sold my RCI timeshare and bought a Hilton Timeshare in Vegas. The exchange system and cost is significantly better than RCI. You can see on their website what is available and the flexibility of points and the cost per exchange is much better. How many points will you get if you convert to Hilton. Will those points allow you the same unit during the same week? If so, convert to Hilton if the cost is not too high.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
In addition, with RCI you will need to pay resort fees on top of the RCI exchange fee. Resort fees can add up if you are staying a week or more. You can avoid that with HGVC internal exchange.
There is no resort fee at the Bay Club on the Big Island. However, that is the only one of the Waikoloa resorts that does NOT get complementary use of the pools at the Waikoloa Hilton.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
There is no resort fee at the Bay Club on the Big Island. However, that is the only one of the Waikoloa resorts that does NOT get complementary use of the pools at the Waikoloa Hilton.
That’s why I am leaning to Hiltonize it. As long as I can book home week, I would like to go to the other HGVC Hawaii options at least once.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s why I am leaning to Hiltonize it. As long as I can book home week, I would like to go to the other HGVC Hawaii options at least once.

I may be misinterpreting this, but are you suggesting booking Home Week at a non-Home resort, i.e. a Hawaii resort? If so, that can't be done, even if Hiltonized.

Cheers.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Can you tell us the details of the rofr for your intended MarBrisa purchase??

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score

You can only book the home week window at your home week resort. Otherwise you book at the 9 month point window with everyone else. Views and locations are both availability and point driven. Penthouse units at King's Land, for example go for a point premium. If you own at Bay Club, you only have home week advantage at Bay Club, whether or not you are in the HGVC points program.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
MarBrisa 2bdrm EOYE 5kpts. HGVC ROFR for $1k.
Am I correct that this must have been rofr'd by the developer as MarBrisa is an affiliate and HGVC does not own it?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Am I correct that this must have been rofr'd by the developer as MarBrisa is an affiliate and HGVC does not own it?
MarBrisa has certain sections that were built prior to HGVC coming on board and then a section built by HGVC. That was my understanding.