• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anthony Bourdain, R.I.P.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
CNN's Anthony Bourdain dead at 61
By Brian Stelter

New York (CNN)Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide. It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much...

Bourdain was a master of his crafts -- first in the kitchen and then in the media. Through his TV shows and books, he explored the human condition and helped audiences think differently about food, travel and themselves. He advocated for marginalized populations and campaigned for safer working conditions for restaurant staffs. Along the way, he received practically every award the industry has to offer.

In 2013, he was given the Peabody Award for "expanding our palates and horizons in equal measure." "He's irreverent, honest, curious, never condescending, never obsequious," the judges said. "People open up to him and, in doing so, often reveal more about their hometowns or homelands than a traditional reporter could hope to document."

The Smithsonian once called him "the original rock star" of the culinary world, "the Elvis of bad boy chefs."

180417110646-explore-parts-unknown-seattle-01-exlarge-169.jpg

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
RIP Bourdain, I loved watching him on CNN, traveling to all thoses off the beat places & countries eating all thoses exotics meals.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
So sad. RIP.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems to be part of an epidemic. May his family and loved ones find peace.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
These celebrity suicides are so sad, as are those of anyone. The human struggle is real, no matter what people see on the outside. I wish there was a true cure for mental health issues, and that everyone had hope to sustain them through hard times.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Wow. Twice in one week. Heartbreaking for their families.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
A real tragedy.....he gave us insights into food and culture like no other!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Suicide is always tragic but there's just something about this one that has me reacting much more personally. Maybe it's that he was such a nice guy, or at least a guy who you knew was trying to be his better self? Or maybe because he didn't shy away from publicly sharing his struggles with demons? I dunno, but whatever it is, this one has me feeling like there's a little less hope in the universe for others who have similar struggles.

<sigh> Godspeed, and peace to his loved ones.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I never knew he had an addiction to heroin before today.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Very sad and shocking. He was with his girlfriend and shooting a new show when he died. That seems like an unusual time to kill himself. Makes me wonder if it was an accidental overdose?

Like others, I came to admire him. I am shocked by the two high profile suicides this week. It is very concerning that people live with depression their entire lives and kill themselves in their 50s and 60s and even older. I guess they never found peace in their lives. It shows money and success do not solve problems.

I am sending good wishes and prayers to his family and friends.

This is a good New York Times article about him offering many details into his life and struggles:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/...o-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
A report suggests that his relationship w-his GF may have hit a rough patch.
Inside Edition: "She was spotted in [Rome] in a romantic embrace with a French journalist."
... Which could've been a trigger for an underlying depression problem.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I too have been a fan of Anthony B. and never saw this coming. So many creative people have something inside that sparks the muse but also lurks like an ugly hidden timebomb, threatening to destroy the life force.

Here's the sad tale of a recording artist whose suicide affected me the most in my life...this week has brought all the loss back to me. RIP my sweet Bill Mac.

and check this out:

Last edited:

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t believe it when I read about his passing. So sad. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. He was such an interesting, intelligent and curious person who will be so deeply missed by us all. RIP Anthony

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Cooking for Comfort? Anthony Bourdain's Rich Lasagna Bolognese is One of Our Favorites
By Noelle Carter/ Daily Dish/ Food/ Los Angeles Times/ latimes.com

"Like many fellow cooks, I came of age reading Anthony Bourdain’s “Kitchen Confidential” while studying in culinary school in 2003 and planning for a career around food. Bourdain’s book was a glimpse into the down-and-dirty-world of real kitchens. While the newly formed Food Network revolved around well-lit, stylized re-creations of recipes for the home cook using a captive audience and magic words like “Bam!,” Bourdain showed what it was like to work in the sweaty, curse-filled trenches of the real world — but still managed to make it seem cool.

Bourdain was found dead Friday in his hotel room in France, according to CNN. The chef, writer and T.V. host was there working on an episode of his show “Parts Unknown.”

I’ll never forget my first true line job. It was in New Orleans, at the height of Mardi Gras, and I worked the fryer and garde manger stations. The cooks were too close for comfort, the room was hot and sweaty, and adrenaline and drugs made the atmosphere seem like a Lewis Carroll-inspired fever dream. It was brutal. And possibly the best time of my life. I still have scars on my arms — tattoo-like memories from frying ingredients that went into probably every dish that went out the kitchen window. There are the friendships I forged with misfits like me in the trenches, particularly Paul, the cook who taught me my station, and the only one I would trust with my knives. (And, incidentally, one who spent 18 years behind bars for murder before coming to work at the restaurant.)

I have many of Bourdain’s books, but it’s his cookbooks that tie me most closely to the kitchen, and, in a sense, to him. His “Les Halles” is a great cookbook, full of quintessential bistro-style recipes like his simple but wonderful take on Moules Marinieres. But it’s his last cookbook, “Appetites,” that I keep coming back to when I want to cook for friends. He has an unapologetically rich lasagna Bolognese, heavy on the bechamel, and made with the perfect trinity of pork, veal and beef. Bookended with chicken livers and tons of cheese, it’s almost too rich, and just perfect when you’re craving a needed plate of pure comfort under a layer of melted mozzarella. Which is what so many of us need now.

la-1528493168-k1bz4lqd4z-snap-image

Lasagna Bolognese (Kirk McKoy / Los Angeles Times)

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
7 Great Quotes from Anthony Bourdain
By Joe Harper/ Departures/ www.departures.com

"Anthony Bourdain, who passed Friday morning, was a father, chef, writer, and television host that grabbed the minds and hearts of his audience and challenged them to rethink food, travel, and life altogether. His biting intellect and sardonic humor made him a great American philosopher of the 21st Century...."

anthony-bourdain-BOURDAINQUOTES.jpg

Vladimir Weinstein/BFA/REX/Shutterstock

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anthony Bourdain was 'Regularly Suicidal' After End of First Marriage
By Michael Kaplan/ Page Six/ pagesix.com

"On TV shows such as “No Reservations” and “Parts Unknown,” chef Anthony Bourdain presented the image of an alpha male of the world.

Beneath the swagger and mischievous grin, however, loomed a history of lethally destructive behavior. Soon after his first marriage ended in 2005, as Bourdain related in his book “Medium Raw,” he was “aimless and regularly suicidal” during a stretch in the Caribbean. He recounted getting drunk and stoned — “the kind of drunk where you’ve got to put a hand over one eye to see straight” — and said he would “peel out” in his 4×4 on his way back from nightly trips to the brothels.

His state of mind improved upon meeting a woman in London. At that point, wrote Bourdain, “my nightly attempts at suicide ended.”....."

bourdain.jpg

Anthony Bourdain Getty Images

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Writer of Viral Olive Garden Review Grateful for Bourdain
By Amy Forliti/ AP/ apnews.com

"MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A North Dakota newspaper columnist who received online vitriol in 2012 for her glowing review of an Olive Garden in Grand Forks said Saturday she was grateful that Anthony Bourdain came to her defense as others ridiculed her prose about the town's hottest new Italian restaurant.

Marilyn Hagerty catapulted to internet fame after her Olive Garden review, in which she marveled about the chain restaurant's chicken Alfredo, crisp greens and "two long, warm breadsticks." Then, she learned what it's like to go viral.

Bourdain, who died Friday in France in an apparent suicide at age 61, was among those who stood up for her on Twitter. The celebrity chef and TV host asked to meet her for coffee while she was on a media tour in New York, and he ended up publishing a book of her columns, "Grand Forks: A History of American Dining in 128 Reviews."...."

large.jpg

A general view of the Le Chambard hotel where TV chef Anthony Bourdain was found, in Kaysersberg, France, Friday, June 8, 2018. A prosecutor in France says Anthony Bourdain apparently hanged himself in a luxury hotel in the small town of Kaysersberg. French media quoted Colmar prosecutor Christian de Rocquigny du Fayel as saying that "at this stage" nothing suggests another person was involved in the death Friday of the American celebrity chef and food writer. (AP Photo/Jeff Schaeffer)

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
'Drink a Cold Beer and Let Somebody Else Figure It Out': 22 of Anthony Bourdain's Wisest Quotes About Travel
By Annabel Fenwick Elliott/ Travel/ Lists/ The Telegraph/ telegraph.co.uk

"Anthony Bourdain first rose to fame with his searingly honest memoir about life as a chef, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly, but as his career progressed, it became evident that travel was a passion he held just as dear to his heart as food.

“If I am an advocate for anything, it is to move,” he once said. “As far as you can, as much as you can.”

The American veteran broadcaster was in France filming the latest in his legendary TV series, Parts Unknown, when he committed suicide in his hotel room on June 8, and while this last season will forever remain unfinished, Bourdain leaves behind him a long catalogue of quotable wit and wisdom on the subject of world exploration.

Here are some of the most memorable things he said about travel over the years, and why we should all be doing more of it...."

Anthony%20Bourdain.jpg

"There's something wonderful about drinking in the afternoon. A not-too-cold pint, absolutely alone at the bar" Credit: Andrew Crowley

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Friends Were 'Worried About Anthony Bourdain's Crazy Love for Asia Argento' Before She Was Spotted Embracing a Journalist in Rome, and Say the
Chef was 'Giddy' in the Days Before His Suicide

By Hannah Parry and Chris Spargo for Daily Mail.com/ News/ Daily Mail.com/ dailymail.co.uk

• "Friends of Bourdain revealed he'd fallen head over heels for Argento, describing him as 'a teenage boy just absolutely lovestruck'
  • 'He would have done anything for her, and that was a little red flag for some of his friends. Like, he was crazy in love with her, crazy being the keyword'
  • Bourdain, 61, was found hanged to death in his French hotel room on June 8
  • His tragic suicide took place days after Argento was pictured with journalist Hugo Clement in Rome
  • The pair were photographed holding hands, dancing together and sharing a close embrace
  • Argento's friend Rose McGowan said the Italian actress and Bourdain had a 'free relationship' and 'loved without borders of traditional relationships'
Friends of Anthony Bourdain reveal they were concerned about his 'crazy' love for girlfriend Asira Argento, who was pictured with another man just days before his suicide.

The travel show host met Argento while filming an episode of his show Parts Unknown in Italy in 2016.

They began dating a year later and people close to Bourdain revealed he'd fallen head over heels for the Italian actress, describing him as 'a teenage boy just absolutely lovestruck.'

But a source told People that friends of the celebrity chef had begun to become concerned with his infatuation with Argento.

'He would have done anything for her, and that was a little red flag for some of his friends,' the source told People. 'Like, he was crazy in love with her, crazy being the keyword.'

Bourdain's longtime publicist for Parts Unknown, Karen Reynolds, told People that he seemed 'giddy' and was uncharacteristically communicative in the days in the run up to his suicide.

Reynolds said he appeared to be delighted with his latest episode, filmed in Hong Kong and directed by Argento.

'He was so happy. I didn't talk to him this week but all I know was he was so happy last week. I mean giddy,' she said.

'He was texting me and emailing me which he doesn't normally do about publicity for episodes but he was like, 'This is a high water mark, this is the best thing I've ever done.' He was so excited to be working with Christopher Doyle. I saw nothing that would indicate what happened. Like, why this would happen?....."

4CEFA08200000578-0-Happy_together_Argento_shared_a_photo_of_herself_and_Bourdain_la-m-18_1528204213753.jpg

Friends of Anthony Bourdain reveal they were concerned about his 'crazy' love for girlfriend Asira Argento (pictured together in Firenze)

Richard