TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Another what to buy survey!

Discussion in 'New to Timesharing? Look Here!' started by trish999, Jul 31, 2018.

1. trish999

trish999 Guest

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Initially thinking Orlando. I have two young kids and plan on traveling there next year. Would like the option to maybe travel to Caribbean but that’s not a requirement

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Yes

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Orlando
    Caribbean
    South Carolina
    That’s all I’ve got!

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Pretty flexible.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

Obvi 5 Star preference- champagne taste with beer money! I’m realistic

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

Not a ton. I was looking into resale’s under $1000

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

Up to $1500.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

No

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes I do

2. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OF (Maui)
    WKV x3 (Scottsdale)
    Orlando is an cheap and easy rental. Even if you don't have access to Interval's Getaways, there is no need to own (and if you do, you will see how easy it is to get an Orlando unit even cheaper and without renting).

I always suggest renting before buying because it is a no commitment way to determine what works for your family -- unit size, amenity level, views, seasons, etc.

Take your time. Prices are not going up.

theo likes this.
  3. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    Hi, welcome to Tug.

There are many nice timeshares in Orlando, Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head. There are tuggers that give these away. Just take you time, learn and if you decide to take one of these, better to pick one that others feel is desirable so when you no longer can use it, you will easily be able to find it a home.

I am thinking outside this box as you like 5 star accommodations. I believe Hilton HGVC would be a good match for you. Hgvc will give you great accommodations in the areas you like but your price point will not allow you to buy hgvc in Orlando, Myrtle beach or Hilton head, it is just too low.

You can buy hgvc by looking for a week in a Florida affiliate which you might use too. For example, Plantation Beach Club at Indian River is on Hutchinson Island, FL. On eBay I was able to get a week for free. You can opt to use the points at other hgvc resorts or RCI resorts or interval resorts versus using the actual week you own. It would be easy to use your points in hgvc Orlando or Myrtle Beach locations. A round about way to get into hgvc without laying out money upfront.

4. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Based upon the OP input, my recommendation and $0.02 worth would be to rent, not buy.

Orlando is an easy rental and with two young children school vacations and associated activities will soon enough have a lot of influence on scheduling. Why take on the long term legal and contractual obligations of timeshare ownership? :shrug:

mpumilia likes this.
  5. trish999

trish999 Guest

Well actually, I vacation every year. I like the idea of paying the fees monthly and then having the place be there for when we need it. That being said, when I do rent it is upwards of 3k sometimes just for the week! This isn’t something I came up with overnight, rather a though for a year or two now. Just have not pulled the trigger on it. Right now, I’m just gathering up info and perspectives to see what if anything could best suit my needs. May i ask...do you own timeshares?

mpumilia likes this.
  6. trish999

trish999 Guest

Okay, I like your idea. I’m just super confused on the points system. For examples: say I purchased points at Hutchinson island. So I got in with them but went to switch, would I have enough points for Hilton Head? Or would I need to buy more? I guess I’m asking because why wouldn’t everyone do that?

7. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    hgvc Hilton Head is much harder to get into then Myrtle Beach. It is one of the newer resorts with fewer rooms. More are currently being built. Whether you would have enough points to get into it would depend on how many points you get and when you would want to go and how many days. Hilton head only has two bedrooms so it requires a higher point value then properties that have smaller units.

I suggest you read on Tug all the articles on hgvc in the hgvc section so you can learn and understand the system.

You can see the different resorts in the system and get an idea what points are required to stay at the different hgvc properties at
    https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com

Many hgvc owners own where they do not go as the saying goes “points are points” . Many look for the lower maintenance fee properties paying to get platinum weeks with the highest point value. I personally own where I love to go, affiliate properties, that are harder to book. I am okay having a higher maintenance fee and/or fewer points, if my buy in is minimal and I own an affiliate where I like to go.

Some examples how I used my points
    hgvc RCI portal to trade into a Disney Resort 1 bedroom for 3400 points.
    A Monday to Thursday stay at Ocean 22 Myrtle beach beachfront 1 br for 1680 points
    1 week stay in January at Tuscany in Orlando 1 br 3400 points (2 br would be 5000 points)

You can borrow points from the following year which gives you lots of flexibility.

8. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Yes. I have owned, used and enjoyed timeshares for several decades now, having made numerous "portfolio" changes (and a few newbie mistakes early on) during that time frame. We now have six "fixed" unit / "fixed" weeks that we really like and enjoy; four are consecutive. Planning to part with one of the other two "stand alone" weeks soon and do not plan to make any other changes or buy any other timeshares in the future. In place of that soon to be departed fixed week, we will rent a week somewhere / sometime different each year for variety, with no long term ownership obligations.

Be aware that although Wyndham bills monthly, most maintenance fee bills are billed only once per year, said bills usually arriving in November and generally being due (in full) before the end of that calendar year or very soon thereafter.

For the record, I'm not disparaging timeshare ownership. I am merely trying to help you proceed with both eyes wide open, mindful of the oddities and nuances of timeshare ownership --- and the certainty of ever-increasing maintenance fees and the prospect of unexpected "special assessments". Read and learn about the many and varied forms of timeshare ownership / membership before pulling the trigger; TUG is a great resource for obtaining that education.

Timeshares are almost always very easy to acquire. Parting company with ownership later is much more difficult.
    Renting instead of owning is always a viable option. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    vacationtime1 likes this.
  9. JohnPaul

JohnPaul TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
    One thing caught my eye that no one has mentioned:

You note that you are not a detailed planner.

Depending on what that means to you that could be an issue. To get what you want in timeshares you typically need to plan out and book what you want well in advance (unless you own a fixed week).

With HGVC, between 9 and 12 months before the end of your stay, you can book 7 nights at the property you own, in the season you own, in the unit type you own with check in on a set day of the week.

At 9 months out you can book any size unit at any resort (a few exceptions) that has availability and that you have enough points for.

The "has availability" is the key item (besides having enough points). If you wait too long you may not find the availability you want - especially things like ski weeks, holidays, school breaks or oceanfront in Hawaii.

A few more things to consider. With HGVC you generally must book at least 3 nights. A couple of the Hawaii resorts don't allow general booking until 6 months out. HGVC has started sort of a club with in a club called "By Hilton Club". At these resorts you can only book within 45 days of arrival unless you own at that specific resort. This includes New York City, Washington D.C. and the newly announce Charleston and Chicago properties.

Hope that is helpful. Sometimes people new to timesharing don't have an appreciation for the advance planning needed to be a happy owner that is successful in getting what you want.

10. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East
    If you want to be in Orlando area mostly. Look for a resale week at a resort with a fixed red Week. Meaning a week that will be useful to stay at without exchanging, buy a week that you can use when the kids are off of school. You can get into exchanging later. Look on Tug Marketplace many good weeks there for sale or free.
    We are partial to Orange Lake, it’s family friendly and lot of activities on site for the kids.
    Good Luck!
    Silentg

mpumilia likes this.