TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Another Reason I Don't Like Cruises

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by mpumilia, Jan 10, 2019.

1. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Yes, I was aware of your indifference for views. OTOH, I am a view fanatic and will pay a premium for it. But I am lazy and enjoy hanging out in my room and enjoying the view.

bbodb1 and mpumilia like this.
  2. RNCollins

RNCollins TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House
    I’ll stick with my Tradewinds sailings.

Max of 10 people on board, different snorkeling spots twice a day, self-service bar 24/7, great food, beautiful islands, excursions, get to meet interesting people.

0B4198F9-DE46-4068-AB38-CB8E21C2FB83.jpeg DA167742-8A66-4CB0-A583-F5EF1772AC86.jpeg 345556E2-B35A-4D42-962F-BBE9D247129F.jpeg

slip, klpca, taffy19 and 7 others like this.
  3. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    Perhaps she was thinking of the Barbary Pirates of North Africa.
    Not to worry, the U.S. Navy put them out of business circa 1815.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. Bwolf

Bwolf TUG Member

I'd invite you on a cruise Mary Ann, but my wife would probably disapprove. Of course, you and your husband could get your own room. :)

We took our first cruise three years ago, which was just about the right time in our lives. The floating hotel went to Bermuda, stayed three nights in Hamilton, and then back to Boston. We really enjoyed it. Last year we did New England Coasts, Boston back to Boston. Again, we enjoyed it. Food service, nice meals, dress up a couple of nights. It is relaxing and enjoyable. In April we head to Tampa for a Western Caribbean cruise. We have a room overlooking the wake. We hear moonlit nights and the wake are very enjoyable and relaxing. Cruising on HAL is relaxing. Smaller ships, older clientele, slow pace.

TravelTime and mpumilia like this.
  5. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Not having a lot of experience to be able to make an informed comparison, we've been spoiled by AMAWaterways. They have treated us as royalty. We had occasion last Summer to spend several days with a port agent who works with most river cruise lines and he said there are less problems and a very positive working arrangement with this Basel Switzerland based carrier. I had to leave the cruise early due to emergency medical problems. AMA checked on me daily, and after getting back home to the US, I got flowers and a personal note from the owner and president of the company. For us, there is only ONE river cruise company.

Jim

clifffaith, taffy19 and TravelTime like this.
  6. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    It's funny because I love water and being in it. But not being on a cruise ship. I like getting off the cruise ship and doing the land excursions and exploring. I feel confined on a ship and I also am intimidated being way out in the ocean in the middle of nowhere- especially once you lose sight of land and only see endless water.

taffy19, Steve Fatula and TravelTime like this.
  7. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

I am not talking about "Pirates of the Caribbean"... think about U.S.S. Cole, Captain Philips....look at a map...coast of Africa, Middle East.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    TravelTime and mpumilia like this.
  8. artringwald

artringwald TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
    We consider cruises as scouting trips and we both love being on the water. It's an easy was to visit a number of places without packing and unpacking every day. You can't see much on a 6 hour excursion, but you can get an idea if you'd want to come back for a longer visit. The only cruise we're likely to repeat is Alaska. It was also one of our favorites.

Even on larger ships, you don't feel like it's crowded. They have plenty of dinning rooms and excursions are staggered. The biggest problem with a large ship is that it may be a long walk to get where you want to go. We're not that social. We usually dine alone and avoid on-board organized activities. We do enjoy the enrichment lectures, though. On the last cruise we took, the guest lecturer was Shelley Bonus, the Session Director of the Mt. Wilson Observatory. She gave several entertaining astronomy lectures.

Cruise ships have very strict security, much like an airport. They also are sticklers for hand sanitation. They make you use the sanitizers every time you enter a dining room and encourage all to wash their hands frequently. Considering the number of cruises each year, outbreaks happen a low percentage of the time, and make big news when one happens. The week following a cruise ship disaster is a good time to get a deal on a future cruise. :D

slip, PigsDad, dmbrand and 1 other person like this.
  9. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

We enjoyed cruising, sailboat sailing, riverboat cruising, cataram sailing and timeshare resort vacation cruising.:D

The only thing I disliked on the ocean waters is when I am on my son small twin engine boat; because there is no dining facilities or sky lounge on his boat for relaxing .:p

Hopefully, next month we will be cruising on the new Celebrity Cruise Lines ship
    called The Edge in Aqua Class with their new Infinity IV balcony.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 1:17 AM
    TravelTime likes this.
  10. pedro47

TravelTime, some of the very best riverboat cruising are found in Europe. You can read more about riverboat cruising at the Cruises Critics website. There is a whole Forum dedicated to riverboat cruising. There are less people on a riverboat cruise, the dining and the service is impeccable IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 2:30 AM
  11. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, Hawaii
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, Hilton Head
    Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
    HGVC at Sea World
    The USS Cole was in the Gulf of Aden near Yemen, and Captain Phillips was based on Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean near Somalia - which is also near the Gulf of Aden. Most of the popular Mediterranean cruises stay close to the coasts of Spain, France, Italy, Greece, and into the Adriatic. That's quite a ways (thousands of miles and in a different ocean/sea) from the pirate areas near Yemen and Somalia. I've heard many cruise lines that have itineraries that traverse the area with pirate/terror risk take on additional security before passage through those waters.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 7:06 PM
    Talent312 and mpumilia like this.
  12. Pompey Family

Pompey Family Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
    No, you were talking about pirates in the Mediterranean. The references you made about the USS Cole, Captain Philips etc is irrelevant to the Mediterranean as these all happened off the coast of East Africa, Middle East, nowhere near the Mediterranean. There are no pirates in the Med and there is a zero threat of them.

Talent312 likes this.
  13. pedro47

The majority of cruise ships that sail near pirate waters are heavily arm with hi tech weapons and a very strong security staff to protect the cruise ship and its passengers.

Any pirate ship IMHO that pose a threat to a cruise ship will be dealt with.

mpumilia likes this.
  14. CalGalTraveler

It's good the ships are taking precautions. They should.

I am well aware of where these activities took place. They were cited because they were illustrative of what could happen. No one thought the horrific attack in Nice (Yes, on the Mediterranean and in France) would happen either.

And...ahem, if you haven't noticed, the Middle East and unsettled countries on the north coast of Africa are ALSO on the Mediterranean.

Everyone's tolerance for risk is different. As I said, "This is just me." If you are fine with the potential risks then go for it.

We will agree to disagree.

klpca and mpumilia like this.
  15. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    Wait, you mean Sandra Bullock is NOT on your cruise ship?

16. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    You realize the opportunities here don't you?
    The next time Patti sees a sale at Penney's (or wherever), just show her something like this:

17. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    If I were ever to take a cruise, this would be high on my list of priorities as well!

mpumilia and TravelTime like this.
  18. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Wait a minute! In Nice, it was a truck that plowed people down on a sidewalk. Same thing in London. Or Charlottesville. And in Oklahoma City it was fertilizer. And in Connecticut and Florida a teen goes berserk. These are things that the victims had no warning of or defense against.

And absolutely zero to do with cruising in any way, shape or form. So live your life like you want. On your terms. And if at some point your number comes up, you can be satisfied that you didn't live in a bunker, fearful of things you can't control.

Jim

Glynda, JIMinNC and PigsDad like this.
  19. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    IMHO, risks in living in R/L are enuff without being fearful
    of ones which don't exist, or exaggerating minor ones.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 5:09 PM
  20. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    We just did French Polynesia Tradewinds in November, and omg it was the most fun time I have ever had! We actually thought about buying a full boat and inviting a bunch of friends, but it turns out that only one couple was interested. Most of our friends were almost horrified by the thought of a catamaran cruise. Issues mentioned: seasickness (understand), being "stuck" on the boat, not enough to do at night, small cabins, not liking the food, yadda, yadda, yadda. Now I understand why there is a club. It's tough to find enough like minded folks to do a cruise.

Anyway, everyone has their thing. And as someone told me years ago, it's a good thing that we don't all like the same things, otherwise no one would be able to find their car in the parking lot.

RNCollins and mpumilia like this.
  21. CalGalTraveler

You can justify it any way you want and continue to cruise the Mediterranean, that's not my business. Please respect mine and avoid personal attacks.

LoL If I lived in a bunker I would go off grid and never travel at all.

klpca likes this.
  22. pedro47

Please do not live, Life in Fear of cruising, flying, driving an automobile, losing a job or anything to stop you from fully enjoying life.

Life is just to short and unpredictable to worry. IMHO

JIMinNC likes this.
  23. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    Re: differences

I don't like eating fish. I have eaten it a lot because I eat it to be polite, but yuck, it tastes like fish. And, man, I don't like the taste. You may as well have told some people that their baby is ugly, they try so hard to convince me that fish tastes good. I am sure that it does - to them but not for me. Y'all know that it tastes like fish? All of it. Just like beef tastes like beef, and brussels sprouts taste like brussels sprouts. Those I like, but fish, no way. So even though some in my family have made it their mission to get me to like fish, I can safely say that after almost 60 years, I am not going to change my mind about this. I wish that they would just leave me in peace and order their salmon and let me eat my pork chop, because their happiness in enjoying their fish does not hinge on me enjoying it as well.

bbodb1, mpumilia and CalGalTraveler like this.
  24. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, Hawaii
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, Hilton Head
    Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
    HGVC at Sea World
    Everyone obviously has to do what they are comfortable with, and shouldn't do things they are not comfortable with. But I think what some people here are trying to say is there is risk everywhere. Terrorism has happened in virtually every country on the planet, so I'm not sure the risk in a trip to the Mediterranean is really that much different than the risk of a trip to New York, London, or Paris. All have experience with terror. The Middle East is also no longer the only source for terror. Much of it - while maybe inspired by actors in the Middle East - is home grown in each nation. There are also many terrorist activities (Oklahoma City, Charlottesville) that have nothing to do with the Middle East.

While I don't think I'll be planning any trips to Yemen, Baghdad, or Mogadishu, the European Med seems fine to me. I know in our recent Med cruise, I was more concerned about pickpockets in the cities than terrorists. But our kids, who have traveled in Europe more than we have, told me I was being paranoid. We all have our issues.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    mpumilia likes this.
  25. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    In my trips which included Mediterranean coasts (4), the only incident was my DW's wallet being lifted outside Buckingham Palace, London... not eggsactly hotbed of pirates, but a valuable lesson about money-pouches nonetheless.