• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

An Emperor Penguin Colony in Antarctica Vanishes

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This article needs a subscription to read it.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
There are getting to be a lot of pay walls, subscription requirements, and at the least, you have to turn off a pop up blocker and watch the ads for junk you don't want. All the above I'm not willing to do.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Dave
I don't have a subscription and I was able to open it. (Says I have three free articles left)

The Antarctic’s second-largest colony of emperor penguins collapsed in 2016, with more than 10,000 chicks lost, and the population has not recovered, according to a new study.

Many of the adults relocated nearby, satellite imagery shows, but the fact that emperor penguins are vulnerable in what had been considered the safest part of their range raises serious long-term concerns, said Phil Trathan, the paper’s co-author and head of conservation biology with the British Antarctic Survey in Cambridge, England.

“That means that these places aren’t as safe as we thought previously,” Dr. Trathan said.

The colony at Halley Bay has all but disappeared, the research team at the British Antarctic Survey said in a statement.

Emperor penguins — the world’s largest — breed and molt on sea ice, chunks of frozen seawater. Awkward on land, they cannot climb icy cliffs and so are vulnerable to warming weather and high winds whipping across the ice. Under the influence of the strongest El Niño in 60 years, September 2015 was a particularly stormy month in the area of Halley Bay in Antarctica, with heavy winds and record-low sea ice.

The penguins generally stayed there from April until December when their chicks fledged, or had grown their feathers to fly, but the storm occurred before the chicks were old enough.

Those conditions, Dr. Trathan said, appeared to have led to the loss of about 14,500 to 25,000 eggs or chicks that first year and the colony has not rebounded. The study called the three-year decline unprecedented: “three years of almost total breeding failure.”

Still, the population in Halley Bay represents only about 8 percent of the world’s population of emperor penguins, Dr. Trathan said, so the loss does not pose a threat to the future of the species. Roughly 130,000 to 250,000 breeding pairs of emperor penguins live in 54 colonies worldwide, he said.

British researchers have been studying penguins in the area since 1956 and had never seen a decline of this magnitude, he said.

Other scientists have projected drastic declines in emperor penguin populations by the end of the century, because of climate change. Stephanie Jenouvrier, an associate researcher at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts, has predicted a 30 percent worldwide drop in coming decades. Her model did not include significant events like the 2015 stormy season, which will most likely make the situation worse, she said.

Several researchers said they were encouraged by satellite evidence suggesting that many of the animals were able to relocate to a colony called Dawson-Lambton, about 35 miles to the south, which has seen a more than tenfold increase in penguins in the last few years.

“It is a very huge movement and a huge number of birds that were able to move between two colonies after an extreme event,” Dr. Jenouvrier said. “I think this is very cool to be able to show that.”

Heather Lynch, an associate professor of ecology and evolution at Stony Brook University in New York, viewed that relocation as “extremely hopeful,” a sign that the animals would be able to adapt to climate change at least in the short term. In past models, she said, researchers often assumed the penguins would not find another home.

“My hope is that there are refuges that they can move to for at least some period of time and that might buffer some of the most dramatic effects of climate change,” Dr. Lynch said.

“You don’t know how close to the cliff you are until it’s too late,” Dr. Lynch said, “and you can’t assume you’ll be able to walk back from the cliff when you get there.”

The new study also shows the power of satellite data to track species in the most inaccessible parts of the globe. “At least we have a means to keep an eye on these birds from the world’s more remote places,” she said.

Still, the Halley Bay decline in population is troublesome because the drop-off was rapid, rather than a gradual decrease in the face of climate change.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
There are getting to be a lot of pay walls, subscription requirements, and at the least, you have to turn off a pop up blocker and watch the ads for junk you don't want. All the above I'm not willing to do.

What I could see before the page was blocked, was that some 10,000 chicks died one season. Don't know why, or if it meant the end of that colony by the next year. :shrug:

Richard, I love the idea of lots of the articles you post, but this sort of thing is frustrating. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Luanne. I guess I've read my four free articles. ?

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
While this one colony seems to have collapsed, there was just a bit about it on CBS News, and the same satellite showed a nearby Emperor Penguin colony had tripled in size because of superior breeding area.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thanks, Luanne. I guess I've read my four free articles. ?

Dave
I've tapped out on the Washington Post. Every time I find an article there I want to read it tells me I need to subscribe.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Antarctica: Thousands of Empire Penquin Chicks Wiped Out
By Jonathan Amos/ Science & Environment/ BBC News/ bbc.com

"Thousands of emperor penguin chicks drowned when the sea-ice on which they were being raised was destroyed in severe weather.

The catastrophe occurred in 2016 in Antarctica's Weddell Sea.

Scientists say the colony at the edge of the Brunt Ice Shelf has collapsed with adult birds showing no sign of trying to re-establish the population.

And it would probably be pointless for them to try as a giant iceberg is about to disrupt the site.

The dramatic loss of the young emperor birds is reported by a team from the British Antarctic Survey (BAS)...."

_106581472_christopher-walton.jpg

Christopher Walton
Image caption Emperor penguins need a reliable and stable platform of sea-ice

My apologies to those frustrated by the New York Times paywall.

Richard

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
While this one colony seems to have collapsed, there was just a bit about it on CBS News, and the same satellite showed a nearby Emperor Penguin colony had tripled in size because of superior breeding area.

The article Luanne was able to post above said an adjacent colony had a huge increase in population because it's in a better breeding area. So I'd think some of the adults moved from the one colony to the other. So maybe not as dire as it initially sounded, but just a reallocation of breeding adults when the old habitat went poor.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
As the world changes it will be a case of 'adapt' or become extinct for many critters. The arctic dwellers will be among the first to be forced into it.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As the world changes it will be a case of 'adapt' or become extinct for many critters. The arctic dwellers will be among the first to be forced into it.

Unfortunately, you're absolutely right.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Better stop here before I get off TUG rules. Nothing to see here- move along.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
While not the Emperor Penguins, we saw Disneynature's Penguins movie last week. It was a fun movie.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
The Netflix show Atypical is about an autistic teenager who is obsessed with penguins. Really good show, I hope it comes back for a third season.