• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

An Auspicious Anniversary

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
37 years ago today, the world changed in a significant way. That's the day the IBM officially introduced the Personal Computer and its DOS 1.0 operating system. The computer retailed for around $1,600--definitely not cheap, especially in 1981 dollars, but affordable for many. Before 1981, computers were huge mainframes owned by major corporations. The rest of us had to resort to calculators and paper files. How much the world has changed in the past 37 years...

Here's the story from Wired Magazine.

IBM_PC_5150-780x564.jpg

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I started at University of Waterloo, Waterloo Canada in an Honours (spelled the Canadian way)) degree in Math (Computer Science and Business Administration), in 1983. I remember this babies from the computer lab.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My first desktop computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 (II).
It pre-dated the IBM-PC by several months.
Release Date: October 1979 (38 years ago).

450px-Okona-GfhR-TRS-80.jpg

We paired it with a daisy-wheel bi-directional printer.
It served us well for several years, until we graduated to a IBM PC-AT.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister graduated college in 1980 in Mechancal Engineering. She worked at IBM during her college years in near her college in NC in the summer. But upon her graduation, she move to Boca Raton. GUESS what she worked on?

She eventually took a job with Compaq in Houston and became an officer of the Compaq corporation. She survive the merger to HP and kept her 'officer' title. Every Christmas, one (or more) of us siblings, would get a NEW (and FREE) computer dropped shipped to us.

She retired a couple of years ago ...... and I am typing this on a new HP laptop she had given me.

And while working in IBM Boca .. she hosted our baby sister during the summer breaks from Lehigh Engineering .. to work a summer job with IBM. After graduating Lehigh U (Mechnical Engineering also) ... she worked for several years in Boca Raton also. Then moved up to IBM in the D.C. area .. til her 3rd child was born.

2 great IBM sisters .. free NEW computers. My older brother and 2 younger sister ... all engineers.

I completed a Comp Sci major at Rutgers U at the end of Summer term, 1973 ... my Dad was totally opposed to me transferring colleges and changing majors to Computer Science starting Summer of 1972. I had to interview before acceptance in the new Comp Sci program at Livingston College/Rutgers University. It was the ONLY Comp Sci program at any NJ State college/university then. The interviewer ASKED me to leave the room .. he then delivered a MANLY, one-sided discourse to my father ... telling HIM computers were the FUTURE. My classmates had started college in 1969 .. and they were the first class of 4 year students.

I declined graduation from Rutgers U May 1973... that Livingston College was BEYOND WILD. And there was NO WAY, I wanted a diploma saying, "Livingston College (Rutgers University)". You had to be there and live it. I had a dorm room (with a very hostile lisbian roommate). My Vietnam combat harden infantry boyfriend .. after staying 1 night with me in my dorm .. then moved me to his parent's house in Rahway. I think it was the knifing with fresh blood on my dorm room door and hallway with screams ... that was over the top for him that one night visit. Another classmate had opened his dorm room door when it got quiet and said he had a phone and had called campus police. He and I just started laughing hard ... campus police and the LOCAL police .. both with GUNS .. never, ever came out unless the sun was up high in the sky.

When I returned to my first univserity in South Florida, my dormmates were UPSET and A GASPPING about streakers .... my comment was "WHERE? I want to SEE the STREAKERS!!!!!". It was all relative ... streakers were just amusing .. and harmless. And no blood or knives involved.

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
Nostalgia. I had one of those after my TRS 80! Those were good times. :)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My first desktop computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 (II).
It pre-dated the IBM-PC by several months.
Release Date: October 1979 (38 years ago).

450px-Okona-GfhR-TRS-80.jpg

We paired it with a daisy-wheel bi-directional printer.
It served us well for several years, until we graduated to a IBM PC-AT.

Trash 80s were fun! I remember the tape drives and 8" floppy drive...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those were the days. I bought my first computer in the early 80s. It was the most expensive computer I’ve ever purchased. It had a huge 30 MB hard drive. Everyone else had a 20 MG hard drive. :) And, the dot matrix printer I bought to go with it was great.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think we're all in similar company. This Summer marks 46 years that I've worked in IT. I was a computer tech in the Navy for 20 years, and by the time the Radio Shack computers hit the market, I was an experienced mini-system and mainframe computer operator, with a fair amount of programming under my belt. When desktop computers became a thing, I took a very long look to the future, and saw that that was where the bulk of the industry was headed. I was very excited for that prospect, and couldn't wait to get my hands on (and inside) one of those machines. I have never looked back.

In the Summer of 1981 a roommate friend and I built a clone of a Radio Shack Model 1 on the kitchen table. It was called an LNW-80, whose motherboard was sold barebones in ads at the back of computer magazines. We got the boards, and built them up with parts my friend obtained as free comp'd spares from an electronics company he worked with. It took several weeks, and had a few false starts, but suddenly we were computing at our apartment. The addition of a modified 9-inch black and white AC/DC TV as a monitor, and a decent cassette tape recorder (with a good tape counter, so we'd know where we were on the programs it read), and we were in business. Floppy and Hard drives were still ahead, so this was all stored on tape. It used the "acquired" brain from a real RS Model 1, courtesy of a friend of a friend who sucked the guts from his own RS Model 1's Z80 CPU to program the Z80A chip we were using as CPU in ours, and when powered up, it said it was a Radio Shack Model 1. It was an awesome device that taught me plenty about desktop computing. I cannot count the hours I spent typing in line after line after line of computer code from computer magazines in those days, (anyone remember MICRO-80 and similar magazines?), as I self-taught myself BASIC. It was a great experience. It was thrilling the first time it blinked my name off and on across the screen! :) In 1982, I took that computer overseas for a six month deployment aboard my Navy ship, and it saved this then-sailor from months of boredom. That machine and I got to be VERY close friends. Last I knew, 35+ years later, the machine still works, and my friend powers it on from time to time, just to relive the old days of owning a really slow and awkward desktop computer that plays a knock-off of PAC-MAN called "SCARF-MAN." Ah yes, the memories... :)

Commercial computers and desktops in various flavors soon followed within just a few years, as I ran the gamut of various models of desktops from names like KayPro, Compaq, Texas Instruments, Leading Edge, Dell, Apple, and AST. Just as I have since done with timeshares, where "learning by owning" was the best experience model for me, I bought, learned, then sold many different computer systems. I learned CP/M, MS-DOS, PC-DOS, and whatever else in all its various forms. Then Windows landed with an earthshaking thud on the marketplace. Welcome to the "real" future of computing. I was off in a new direction, learning everything I could about mastering what was surely the future of "real" computing.

I can't count how many computers I've had since then, and ironically, for as well as I learned Microsoft products, I now have an Apple laptop at home. (No judgment, just easier to do what I do at home these days.). I still use every variation of Windows machines at work. I'm still at it, typing line after line of computer code into my machine, as I work my current position as a custom report writer to extract data from a medical database for the hospital where I work. For as much as things have changed over the years, they truly are still the same.

Love 'em or hate 'em, I will always be grateful for this little machine with the blinking cursor in the corner of the screen. It's been a great ride. I learn something new every single day, and for me, that's awesome. Computing as a profession for me has been much like farming: When you're green, you grow. When you're ripe, you rot.:)

Dave

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
So when was the Commodore Pet introduced? I graduated from UCLA with a double major in Anthropology and Geography in 1977, and by winter 1979 was back at the local junior college for accounting and computer classes. So I know that no later than 1980 I was also learning to use my dad's Pet.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So when was the Commodore Pet introduced? I graduated from UCLA with a double major in Anthropology and Geography in 1977, and by winter 1979 was back at the local junior college for accounting and computer classes. So I know that no later than 1980 I was also learning to use my dad's Pet.

Wikipedia says it was released October 1977.

Dave

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a complete non-techie, I can only say this: I graduated from Stanford in 1979 and, a few years later, realized that I was already a dinosaur. I was the very last generation of college students that banged out my papers and essays on an electric typewriter and took notes in class by hand.

Brett

Reaction score
I used an original IBM personal computer at work in the early '80's
and before that mainframe time sharing with one of those cradle modems

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I used an original IBM personal computer at work in the early '80's
and before that mainframe time sharing with one of those cradle modems

I know about those. Remember the old fax machines where you’d dial the phone, then put the handset in a cradle like the modem had, and press a Start button. It’d suck the piece of paper around a drum, and spin it while a reading light moved down the page. It might take 15 minutes to send one page. Ain’t technology great? ;)

Dave

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Now, the smallest child is completely computer savvy!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I was a doctoral student at the University of Washington when the Osborne 1 became available commercially for about $1,800. I decided to purchase one to help me write my dissertation and print the multiple copies I needed to submit. When I came home, my wife said "You spent how much?" I was in the doghouse for a long time. It was a big help in assisting me to successfuly complete my dissertation.

"The Osborne 1 was the first commercially successful portable microcomputer, released on April 3, 1981, by Osborne Computer Corporation. It weighed 10.7 kg (24.5 lb), cost US$1,795, and ran the CP/M 2.2 operating system. Powered directly from a mains socket as it had no on-board battery, it was still classed as a portable device since it could be hand-carried when packed.

The computer shipped with a large bundle of software that was almost equivalent in value to the machine itself, a practice adopted by other CP/M computer vendors at the time.

Competitors such as the Kaypro II that used double sided drives and larger 9" screens that could hold a full 80×25 display quickly appeared...."

300px-Osborne_1_open.jpg

Osborne 1

Richard

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I was a doctoral student at the University of Washington when the Osborne 1 became available commercially for about $1,800. I decided to purchase one to help me write my dissertation and print the multiple copies I needed to submit. When I came home, my wife said "You spent how much?" I was in the doghouse for a long time. It was a big help in assisting me to successfuly complete my dissertation.

"The Osborne 1 was the first commercially successful portable microcomputer, released on April 3, 1981, by Osborne Computer Corporation. It weighed 10.7 kg (24.5 lb), cost US$1,795, and ran the CP/M 2.2 operating system. Powered directly from a mains socket as it had no on-board battery, it was still classed as a portable device since it could be hand-carried when packed.

The computer shipped with a large bundle of software that was almost equivalent in value to the machine itself, a practice adopted by other CP/M computer vendors at the time.

Competitors such as the Kaypro II that used double sided drives and larger 9" screens that could hold a full 80×25 display quickly appeared...."

300px-Osborne_1_open.jpg

Osborne 1

Richard

Those were so cool. My first KayPro machine, a 2X, had that larger screen they mention, plus two 360k floppy drives. Also a fold-front portable with a carry handle, it weighed a ton, just like the Osborne. But technically, that made it a carryable computer, even thought it had to be plugged in to work. CP/M died soon after, and I replaced the 2X with an MS-DOS desktop KayPro PC30, which had a whopping 32mb hard drive, and a color monitor. Woohoo!

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm suitably impressed by you computer pioneers. I had some version of a TRS-80, with 2 3.5" 'floppies', but no hard drive. I bought it and a dot-matrix printer to give my elected officials a piece of my mind and the computer was cheaper than a typewriter. Maybe I should have fiddles around 'under the hood' of the computer like you guys did. I looked over hoods instead.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm suitably impressed by you computer pioneers. I had some version of a TRS-80, with 2 3.5" 'floppies', but no hard drive. I bought it and a dot-matrix printer to give my elected officials a piece of my mind and the computer was cheaper than a typewriter. Maybe I should have fiddles around 'under the hood' of the computer like you guys did. I looked over hoods instead.

You paid your dues a whole different way. I give absolute props to truckers. A hard, thankless job. :thumbup:

But look at you now - you're here, among your imaginary friends, and enjoying your retirement. Because as I know you've heard, old truckers never die - they just get a new Peterbilt. :eek:

Dave

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dave, that's why we all love you: you somehow move a benign discussion of 37-year-old computers to brand new Peterbilts. Accomplished both expertly and flawlessly. Well done.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, that's why we all love you: you somehow move a benign discussion of 37-year-old computers to brand new Peterbilts. Accomplished both expertly and flawlessly. Well done.

I live to serve. ;)

Dave

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember taking a computer programming course prior to any kind of PC. You had to key punch your IBM cards in and they would batch run student programs every four hours. If there was any kind of mistake at all on any card (an extra space, a period instead of a comma) the program would kick out without checking for any further errors. So, if you had a hundred cards in your program and made a keypunch error on card five, you would not have any idea if the next ninety-five cards were okay or not (much less whether the program itself worked). Down to the basement, key punch a new card, and wait another four hours. Sometimes I would be walking to the computer building at four in the morning trying to make what I hoped would be a final correction (either to a bogus card or to the program itself).

So, if you sometimes get frustrated with the auto correct feature in word processors, consider what the alternative used to be.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I remember taking a computer programming course prior to any kind of PC. You had to key punch your IBM cards in and they would batch run student programs every four hours. If there was any kind of mistake at all on any card (an extra space, a period instead of a comma) the program would kick out without checking for any further errors. So, if you had a hundred cards in your program and made a keypunch error on card five, you would not have any idea if the next ninety-five cards were okay or not (much less whether the program itself worked). Down to the basement, key punch a new card, and wait another four hours. Sometimes I would be walking to the computer building at four in the morning trying to make what I hoped would be a final correction (either to a bogus card or to the program itself).

So, if you sometimes get frustrated with the auto correct feature in word processors, consider what the alternative used to be.

Good old Hollerith Code, named after the guy who invented it. 12 rows and 80 columns per card. It was a language unto itself, if you took time to learn it. A punch in row 12 and row 1 in the same column was a letter A. A 12-2 punch was a B. 12-3 was a C, and so forth. Scary that after all these years I still remember that. :rolleyes: :)

Dave

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, my first computer ... was an IBM 1401 ..... NO OPERATING SYSTEM. You moved input data field to specific memory areas and issues commands like "PRINT" ... that buffer had a 133 character field and advanced the print line by 1 row. Each CARD was a command. Computer card reader READ a card, it executed that command. Autocode ... the assembly language for the 1401. Mostly, I used Fortran before it became Fortran IV.

1.5 years doing that ... my college work study was to place the cards into the reader, rip off the printouts and take to the math department for student pickup. My first college work study term was to cook eggs to order on the breakfast line in the student dining. 6AM til 8:45AM 5 days a week. It was a MAJOR move up WITH a side benefit ... I was one of 4 students (Mike Camp, Jim Sorsensen, Judy (my roommate) and me) who did NOT stand in line for getting classes ... our class selection was the NIGHT before. We were the 'test subjects' ... the hardest part was Dean Walls .. who us 2 gals had to manually confirm our dorm room request with. SHE INSISTED we did NOT walk by her to run our class schedule ... and WE insisted we had .. and SHOWED HER our class schedules in our hands. Dean Wallis .. you WERE RIGHT .. we skipped "class registeration" line EVERY time starting Freshman Winter term on. We never walked by you.

Poor Dean Wallis .. I always seem to be on "Her HIT List". Before each Spring semester, my roommate Judy would MOVE out of our dorm room. And every summer I had to call Dean Wallis and tell her Judy and I wanted to room together (again). The summer before our Senior year .. Dean Wallis straight out on that phone call DEMANDED to know 'just how long will it be before Judy moves out?'. I told her to call Judy .. as she is the ONE who always MOVES out. I finished college when the Winter Mini-Term ended as did Judy. So techincally, Judy DID NOT move out. We both moved out together.

Oh ... Yes, I did learn more "computer stuff". My junior year was in a named foreign land called "IBM 360/67 MVS" in Rutgers U NJ. Summer, Fall, Spring and Summer (again) classes .. took only Comp Sci courses EXCEPT for a FUN-FILLED Cost Accounting class one semester. Seems Cost Accounting had more requirements than Accounting Principals 1 & 2 I had taken the prior college year ... funtime of 15 months of classes where I knew NOTHING going in .. but DECLINED graduation from that Livingston College at Rutgers U ... SMART MOVE as that college did not exist a few years later (and the Comp Sci department had NEVER moved to the Livingston campus either).

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
He's an ad from 1974 for the Linolex desktop computer:

Linolex%201974.jpg

When 3M bought the company, I was trained to service the many computers they sold in Washington DC. It was much more than a word processor. It was also used for data entry, database, communications, and even had games. I had one at home which helped me get serious about a career as a software developer. Of course, once the IBM PC came out in 1980, the earlier versions of desktop business computers quickly became obsolete.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
He's an ad from 1974 for the Linolex desktop computer:

Linolex%201974.jpg

When 3M bought the company, I was trained to service the many computers they sold in Washington DC. It was much more than a word processor. It was also used for data entry, database, communications, and even had games. I had one at home which helped me get serious about a career as a software developer. Of course, once the IBM PC came out in 1980, the earlier versions of desktop business computers quickly became obsolete.

(Love her hairdo. Back when dressing nice was a requirement to use a computer. ;) )

I think we were probably running around D.C. at the same time. I was there in the mid- to late-70s with the Navy, stationed at the Navy Annex on the hill above the Pentagon. I was part of the team running an IBM 360/370 mainframe, and I was the main operator for a Control Data 3300 mini system. Third shift, when the heavy hitter programs were run. How many tons of program printouts did I tear off the six printers, and how many thousands of reels of tape did I mount on the 24 refrigerator-sized freestanding tape drives over those years? Hard to tell. Then my COBOL training kicked in, and I was transferred upstairs, to a programming job. It was the heyday of big dollar computing, and I enjoyed every minute. :) (Along the way I also had the pleasure of driving a vehicle in Jimmy Carter's Presidential inaugural parade, but that's another story. :))

Dave