• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Aspire

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just signed up for the American Express Hilton Honors "Aspire" Card on the AX website. I'm canceling the "Ascend" card that they sent me to replace my Hilton Honors Visa card as soon as that can be done, which is Jan 30.

Annual fee for the Ascend is $95. For the Aspire it is $495. So, it's costing an extra $400.

However, it automatically gives you Hilton Diamond status. That means Diamond perks (for me, guaranteed room as long as you reserve 48 hrs ahead is a big one, plus automatic room upgrades), plus all Hilton hotel reservations are worth 29 Hilton Honor pts per dollar, because you get 14x for using the card, and 15x for being Diamond. I stay in Hilton's perhaps 30-40 nights a year (lots of Embassy Suites when I'm on the road <g>). At $300/nt x 29, that's > 300,000 HH points. Easily worth 3+ free nights. 7x HH pts for airlines, rental cars and restaurants.

You also get $250 credit for charges at Hilton resorts, which includes food and anything else that is charged to the room, and includes the Hilton Hawaiian Village restaurants and shops -- where I have two timeshares. One weekend night for free (a 2nd if you spend $60k). And, the $250 airline credit for things like baggage fees, or, for Southwest, for the $15/flight extra charge for early check-in.

Bottom line, the card pays for itself many times over.
I was going to upgrade. But I am thinking twice.

Already have Diamond for 2018. For 2018, I have $400 airline credits from my Amex Plat Personal and Biz and my wife has another $200; we usually travel in F, so the additional $250 credit only would help with changes fees. I am not sure I will need $850 for changes fees.

Do you know if it is possible to pay for the room rate with one card and use a different card to pay for extras? In my case some stays have to have the room rate paid with the Citi Prestige to get the 4th night comped. So, upgrading from ascend to aspire would be a go for me if I can pay for non room rate charges with the ascend. I realize that this only applies to the resorts...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Do you know if it is possible to pay for the room rate with one card and use a different card to pay for extras? In my case some stays have to have the room rate paid with the Citi Prestige to get the 4th night comped. So, upgrading from ascend to aspire would be a go for me if I can pay for non room rate charges with the ascend. I realize that this only applies to the resorts...

We have been able to split payments across credits cards at the front desk. Would most likely work for Hilton Amex credit. Not sure how Citi would interpret for 4th night because I don't think you can designate line items in a bill unless the front desk can split the bill in two. This will need to be tested.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We have been able to split payments across credits cards at the front desk. Would most likely work for Hilton Amex credit. Not sure how Citi would interpret for 4th night because I don't think you can designate line items in a bill unless the front desk can split the bill in two. This will need to be tested.
Same here. I -think- you can do it. I do know you can pay your bill with two different cards. But, like CalGalTraveler says, not sure if they allocate what's paying for what. However, if you have your receipt and can show the room charge was $X and you paid exactly $X on the card, you could probably show them/Citi you're entitled to the benefit.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I just signed up for the American Express Hilton Honors "Aspire" Card on the AX website. I'm canceling the "Ascend" card that they sent me to replace my Hilton Honors Visa card as soon as that can be done, which is Jan 30.

Annual fee for the Ascend is $95. For the Aspire it is $495. So, it's costing an extra $400.

However, it automatically gives you Hilton Diamond status. That means Diamond perks (for me, guaranteed room as long as you reserve 48 hrs ahead is a big one, plus automatic room upgrades), plus all Hilton hotel reservations are worth 29 Hilton Honor pts per dollar, because you get 14x for using the card, and 15x for being Diamond. I stay in Hilton's perhaps 30-40 nights a year (lots of Embassy Suites when I'm on the road <g>). At $300/nt x 29, that's > 300,000 HH points. Easily worth 3+ free nights. 7x HH pts for airlines, rental cars and restaurants.

You also get $250 credit for charges at Hilton resorts, which includes food and anything else that is charged to the room, and includes the Hilton Hawaiian Village restaurants and shops -- where I have two timeshares. One weekend night for free (a 2nd if you spend $60k). And, the $250 airline credit for things like baggage fees, or, for Southwest, for the $15/flight extra charge for early check-in.

Bottom line, the card pays for itself many times over.

Since you seem to be someone who pays for nights at Hilton Hotels including the Hilton Hawaiian Village I can see how the Aspire Card would benefit you greatly. Since we don't pay for nights since we have many HGVC points as well as Hilton Honors points it would be much less of a benefit. As I said before if they included HGVC Resorts as Hilton Resorts it works for us. Since we stay about 110 days a year in excluding HGVC timeshares stays reduces the value to us.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Since you seem to be someone who pays for nights at Hilton Hotels including the Hilton Hawaiian Village I can see how the Aspire Card would benefit you greatly. Since we don't pay for nights since we have many HGVC points as well as Hilton Honors points it would be much less of a benefit. As I said before if they included HGVC Resorts as Hilton Resorts it works for us. Since we stay about 110 days a year in excluding HGVC timeshares stays reduces the value to us.
Yes, I pay for a lot of 1-3 night stays that are work-related.

Don't normally (ever) pay for Hilton Hawaiian Village, I have two ocean view weeks there, but this year got complicated because I booked both my home weeks, then found out a few months later I screwed up and couldn't go when I booked them, and by then when I COULD go was not available. So, I'm trying now to rent those two weeks in June and paying $ to go in August. (However, also watching to see if nights open up and if they do, I will cancel a reservation if it hasn't rented and use those points. But, so far, nothing has opened that I can make use of.)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it is possible to do a partial payment just for incidentals in a way that only the room rate shows up at the end. Probably the receipt would show all charges and payments instead of clearing the incidentals and only leaving the room rate.

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
Anyone considering the Amex Hilton Aspire card? It's automatic Diamond status with loads of benefits. However, the $450 annual fee may draw some people away.

I just received the Aspire and would anyone know if you use your Aspire to buy a HGVC resale if you would get the 12 points per spend or would it fall under the 3 point per dollar spend?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Only if you purchase the resale through HGVC.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received the Aspire and would anyone know if you use your Aspire to buy a HGVC resale if you would get the 12 points per spend or would it fall under the 3 point per dollar spend?
That would have been a cool way to rack up some Hilton pesos...

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

I have bought 6 HGVC weeks resale, (some HGVC resale and some not) and I was NOT allowed to use any credit card for the entire purchase balance only I believe a one thousand dollar down payment. I always like using a credit card for any purchase either Hilton Amex for Hilton Honors Points or a Fidelity Visa for 2% back but it was not an option for the balance.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
You all talked me into getting the card. Normally, I balk at such high annual fees, but after looking at which resorts give the $250 credit I am sure I'll use my one weekend night and the $250. resort credit. That will probably wipe out the $450 annual fee right there.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
I have bought 6 HGVC weeks resale, (some HGVC resale and some not) and I was NOT allowed to use any credit card for the entire purchase balance only I believe a one thousand dollar down payment. I always like using a credit card for any purchase either Hilton Amex for Hilton Honors Points or a Fidelity Visa for 2% back but it was not an option for the balance.
I bought two weeks resale from HGVC in Scotland and was able to pay for both with my credit card. It's a Capital One cash back card.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I bought two weeks resale from HGVC in Scotland and was able to pay for both with my credit card. It's a Capital One cash back card.

That's great. Perhaps HGVC has changed its policy and procedures. Also, my HGVC resales were where HGVC was acting as a broker between an owner and me. Therefore, the proceeds, minus a percentage that HGVC was making was going to the owner. Perhaps your resales are owned outright by HGVC, therefore, they are selling them directly to you. If in fact they do own them outright, what is the difference between them selling them as resales and what the presentation timeshare sales people sell when they are selling weeks for older resorts that are already sold out?

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
That's great. Perhaps HGVC has changed its policy and procedures. Also, my HGVC resales were where HGVC was acting as a broker between an owner and me. Therefore, the proceeds, minus a percentage that HGVC was making was going to the owner. Perhaps your resales are owned outright by HGVC, therefore, they are selling them directly to you. If in fact they do own them outright, what is the difference between them selling them as resales and what the presentation timeshare sales people sell when they are selling weeks for older resorts that are already sold out?
Mine were brokered by HGVC on behalf of the owners. HGVC's cut was 10%. The rest went to the seller. By luck I actually got consecutive weeks in the same cabin from 2 different owners. Price was certainly at resale levels - Current exchange made it about $11200 US for a 9600 point platinum 3 BR Plus unit. Maint. fees currently about $1200 US with exchange rates.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update on the $250 airline credit - I got my 250 from American Airline gift cards with no problems. I broke it down by 100,100, and 50 denominations. Keep in mind that airline gift cards will vary from airlines.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Just an update on the $250 airline credit - I got my 250 from American Airline gift cards with no problems. I broke it down by 100,100, and 50 denominations. Keep in mind that airline gift cards will vary from airlines.

Thanks for sharing. Glad to know it works. I am holding out for an upgrade offer for the Aspire from one of my two Ascend cards (one is converted Citi HHonors). I am told they will be loaded by Amex marketing by mid-march. Will cancel the other Ascend and save the fee.

It appears that the Aspire card gains access to the same concierge as AMEX Platinum so will try to see if we can get Hamilton tickets via that route for an upcoming trip to W 57. (we may be the only people on the planet who haven't seen Hamilton yet!)

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty cool to know. Let us know if you're able to Hamilton tix.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good to know, although be careful with the airline gift cards.

Delta, for example, won't let you redeem more than 3 gift cards on a single ticket.

AA gift cards have a ton of restrictions (can't use them for international travel and only on certain AA flights if using partner airlines, it must be coded correctly something about flights like American Eagle or such).

Just in case folks don't read the fine print on the GC terms and then suddenly find themselves not being able to use them the way they wanted.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Good to know. These gift cards sound like those silly $100 United travel vouchers they provide for service disruption - had to jump through hoops to be able to use them.

If possible I will get SWA gift cards as they tend to be less restrictive (but also have a max of 2 per ticket). SWA is becoming our go-to airline. When they start flying to HI then our use of United will be limited to international travel.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Glad to know it works. I am holding out for an upgrade offer for the Aspire from one of my two Ascend cards (one is converted Citi HHonors). I am told they will be loaded by Amex marketing by mid-march. Will cancel the other Ascend and save the fee.

It appears that the Aspire card gains access to the same concierge as AMEX Platinum so will try to see if we can get Hamilton tickets via that route for an upcoming trip to W 57. (we may be the only people on the planet who haven't seen Hamilton yet!)
FYI - I tried getting tickets through the Plat Concierge (Personal and Biz) a couple of months ago and the cheapest they found was $900pp.

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
SO, one can use the Aspire card and buy gift cards on any airline to get the credit? I may do that--just wasn't sure. I do know you need to choose one airline to use credit on--you can change, but you have to call them to do that.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually called the plat concierge tied with the Aspire a few days ago. They quoted me $580 as the cheapest seats in NYC. This was for a Saturday in March - 8pm.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Since this thread is drifting to Hamilton, let me post this. Lin Manuel was on Jimmy Fallon the other night with Weird Al and they did this polka mash up, hilarious. Lin Manuel announced he is reprising his role for performances in Puerto Rico to raise contributions to help rebuild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this thread is drifting to Hamilton, let me post this. Lin Manuel was on Jimmy Fallon the other night with Weird Al and they did this polka mash up, hilarious. Lin Manuel announced he is reprising his role for performances in Puerto Rico to raise contributions to help rebuild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Saw weird al In 2011 at the pantages in West Hollywood (CA). Great show. Not that I've aged gracefully, but he put on some weight!!