• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Express - Free Night Certificate

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received their first American Express category 1- 5 certificate.

If so, how long from your anniversary date did it take to receive it. My anniversary date is March 20th and I have not received it yet. American Express says that they do not send out the certificates until 8 - 12 weeks after the anniversary date. Has anyone experienced that?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this is a new thing for the Amex card, I really don't know when they will send it out. They announced the free night in August and I wonder if they will only issue in August. My anniversary is in July.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Has anyone received their first American Express category 1- 5 certificate.

If so, how long from your anniversary date did it take to receive it. My anniversary date is March 20th and I have not received it yet. American Express says that they do not send out the certificates until 8 - 12 weeks after the anniversary date. Has anyone experienced that?

Yes, it just shows up in my account. I’m expecting another soon, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
i think rumour has it (on FlyerTalk) that it takes 2 statement periods from your annual fee date

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When is your anniversary?

It took exactly seven (7) weeks and six (6) days to post to my account.

For comparison, my Radisson nights this year took exactly seven (7) weeks.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It took exactly seven (7) weeks and six (6) days to post to my account.

For comparison, my Radisson nights this year took exactly seven (7) weeks.
Thanks. My old Marriott Visa used to post within the same month which is June. I have 3 nights stay coming up at end of July and I have already paid cash for one as it was cheap relative to use of points for a Sunday night stay, and I am hoping the other 2 nights will post before our stay. It looks like maybe one will show up and we will have to use points for the 3rd night.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have the Chase Marriott card for years. Chase states to allow up to 8 weeks. However, in reality, the certificates post to the account within one week. I appears that when Amex states allow 8 - 12 weeks, they mean it. We want to use the certificate for a stay in July.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Our Amex anniversary date is in February.
I just looked last night in DH's Bonvoy acct and nothing yet!

We got an email after our anniversary date, notifying us of qualifying for night stay. And that's all.

Last edited:

gravitar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our Amex anniversary date is in February.
I just looked last night in DH's Bonvoy acct and nothing yet!

We got an email after our anniversary date, notifying us of qualifying for night stay. And that's all.
Were you looking on the app for the certificate? If so you won't see it there. At least I don't see mine there nor does my wife on her account. If you click on Account Activity, if you actually have your certificate available, you will see reference to it in the text area along with the word cancelled to the right, even though it's not cancelled. If you go to the full website you will see the certificate where it should be displayed. The account activity also shows it as cancelled.

You can book using it in the full site, however, it doesn't appear that you can use it via the app. This was my experience with the Amex certificate.

Another Bonvoy issue......

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Were you looking on the app for the certificate? If so you won't see it there. At least I don't see mine there nor does my wife on her account. If you click on Account Activity, if you actually have your certificate available, you will see reference to it in the text area along with the word cancelled to the right, even though it's not cancelled. If you go to the full website you will see the certificate where it should be displayed. The account activity also shows it as cancelled.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapaktal

I was looking on the full website; not on the app. I just checked again tonight, and no certificate mention in Account Activity. I went back to look at the email we got on our Amex card anniversary. It was later than I thought, in early March. So we're only at 7 weeks now :( The email also said, we'd get another msg when the certificate is actually awarded. And this email would go to the address listed for the BonVoy account holder. I'm planning to award night in September or November, so have some time.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder why Amex takes so long to post. For years, Marriott Visa posted the free night within a week of the anniversary to my account.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder why Amex takes so long to post. For years, Marriott Visa posted the free night within a week of the anniversary to my account.

They probably want to make sure that you paid and they collected the annual fee first...

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have the Chase Marriott card for years. Chase states to allow up to 8 weeks. However, in reality, the certificates post to the account within one week. I appears that when Amex states allow 8 - 12 weeks, they mean it. We want to use the certificate for a stay in July.

The certificate showed up in the account a couple of days ago. It was a couple of days after the statement date. The anniversary date was March 20th.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ours came in about 8-9 weeks after our anniversary date; around early May.
We did not get another email from Marriott or Amex to notify us the certificate was actually awarded.

However the certificate itself was very easy to apply to a hotel reservation.