• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American buying and selling a Canadian timeshare

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am considering buying a timeshare in Canada. I know that when Canadians go to sell a US timeshare it can be a pain to get the deed notarized in the US. Are there any similar difficulties and issues that go along with an American buying and eventually selling or giving away a Canadian timeshare?

It is also in RCI points, any problems with US and Canadian RCI points timeshare in the same account?

Thanks for pointing out any hidden difficulties with this.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Risks of Canadian resort ownership:
  • Closings can be expensive since most of the cheap U.S. closing companies won't do business in Canada
  • High maintenance fees, trending upward due to labour legislation, rising minimum wage rates and high sales taxes paid by the management company
  • Canadian resorts charge tax on maintenance fees, e.g. the 13% HST in Ontario
  • Foreign currency risk for Americans, i.e. risk of a rising loonie against the US dollar.
  • In general, poor governance. Just read through the Canadian TUG postings about the crooked resort developers
  • Extreme seasonality, e.g. cottage country in summer, means many, if not most weeks are worthless, encouraging owner defaults

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi tschwa2,
RCI - points and TPU's seem to be denominated in " crypto- USD " . ie no difference when deposited into RCI
The fee charges for exchanges , extending points etc are based on the billing address of your RCI account .
Since yours is Maryland - there is no change .

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks T-Dot and Maple Leaf.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Thanks T-Dot and Maple Leaf.
Not so fast! It's not that hard to transfer an Embarc membership - points certificate only, therefore no deed/notary/lawyer necessary and is done through DRI member services once the documents are completed by buyer and seller. If you go in with your eyes open - as with any timeshare, (and you get a very cheap deal - minimum points purchase is 120 and US fees are $6.47 in 2018) it is a very good trader and the resorts are of superior quality. Embarc member dues actually went down slightly this year and relative to the value of the 9 resorts you can exchange into (Palm Desert, Sandestin, Vancouver, Whistler, Ucluelet, Panorama, Mont Tremblant, Blue Mountain, Zihuatanejo) are very reasonably priced (for now anyway). To do exchanges in peak periods, you would generally need at least 200 points. The fly in the ointment is that DRI now owns them - however so far, still a good value as long as you don't pay "retail" for your points. The GST tax is included in the $6.47/pt. Our closed Facebook group (www.facebook.com/groups/clubintrawestowners) has an established process with suggested documents/instructions which is generally used and transfers cost $250usd once the transaction is approved by DRI. We also have a file where members post their points for sale. DRI have exactly 10 days to exercise ROFR and are often delinquent about responding in time. Points are currently "selling" anywhere from $0 to $30 each. NB. If you buy resale, you can't get into Interval (the exchange co used by Embarc) with an independent account but can exchange through a number of other companies.

Last edited:

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Just to put a bow on this thread, IMO the biggest risk when buying a Canadian timeshare is lack of understanding of the governance. Americans do not usually encounter some of the land tenure situations existing in the British Commonwealth. Buying on Ebay without the assistance of an attorney competent in timeshare law in the property's jurisdiction can be a disaster. Just google Horseshoe Resort, Northwynd or St. George's Club. At Horseshoe, the leaseholders were responsible for ALL resort maintenance. Developer weeks had no maintenance fees assessed. That wasn't explicitly part of the leasehold agreement, but due to a judge's interpretation subsequent to establishment of the resort. As the number of leaseholders declined due to default, the maintenance fee for each week skyrocketed. Only a competent local attorney independent of the resort would have known this.

Ferdinant

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carriage Ridge Resort, Barrie, ON Canada
Better do not buy timeshare in Canada. I want to sell/give away/terminate/give back/mine and it is almost impossible. Maintenance fee is doubled since 2005 when I bought it. They are asking me to find a buyer. No one likes to pay high maintenance fee. I am thinking to stop paying. Let collection agency deal with it. I do not have any asset/money or property.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Better do not buy timeshare in Canada. I want to sell/give away/terminate/give back/mine and it is almost impossible. Maintenance fee is doubled since 2005 when I bought it. They are asking me to find a buyer. No one likes to pay high maintenance fee. I am thinking to stop paying. Let collection agency deal with it. I do not have any asset/money or property.

Which timeshare do you own? If it's a ski week in Whistler, you will have no issue giving it away.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
echino ... Ferdinant lists his resort as being in ON ... Ontario? Might be a ski resort ... but on a minor HILL compared and might not be anything better than a MUD & ROCKS week.

Ferdinant

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, my timeshare is Carriage Ridge Resort in Barrie, Ontario. It is about 1,25 hrs north of Toronto and basically is ski resort, but not the same as in Whistler,BC.
As pe TUG listing, the resale value is 1$.

Meow

Reaction score
If you take over a timeshare in Canada, you risk assuming liabilities that may go beyond your means. Be careful.

Ferdinant

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
More explicit please! What do you mean? In short what is this? Can you explain?

Meow

Reaction score
Ferdinant, if your timeshare is down to a value of $1, its a signal to run - and fast. You can refer to the thread 'Fairmont/Sunchaser' to see how bad things can get.

Ferdinant

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks a lot!
Ferdinant Avdyllari

Ferdinant

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Which timeshare do you own? If it's a ski week in Whistler, you will have no issue giving it away.
SORRY FOR REPLYING SO LATE! However, better late than never.
My TS is Carriage Ridge Resort in Barrie, Ontario.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying a timeshare in Canada. I know that when Canadians go to sell a US timeshare it can be a pain to get the deed notarized in the US. Are there any similar difficulties and issues that go along with an American buying and eventually selling or giving away a Canadian timeshare?

It is also in RCI points, any problems with US and Canadian RCI points timeshare in the same account?

Thanks for pointing out any hidden difficulties with this.

In reading the postings above then I would think that you would not want to buy in Canada. With that said, why not buy a very desirable Timeshare in the USA as a "trader" and use that as your ticket to trade to Canada ?

I will admit that sometimes consistent trading is sometimes easier said than done......

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In reading the postings above then I would think that you would not want to buy in Canada. With that said, why not buy a very desirable Timeshare in the USA as a "trader" and use that as your ticket to trade to Canada ?

I will admit that sometimes consistent trading is sometimes easier said than done......

I did pass up on that. It was a late June week at White Point Vacation Club in Nova Scotia. Summer weeks aren't really available through RCI in Nova Scotia.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
White Point in Nova Scotia is stunning property. A late June week would be decent. The plum weeks are July and August.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
White Point in Nova Scotia is stunning property. A late June week would be decent. The plum weeks are July and August.
The lodge is a stunning property on the beach, however the timeshares are back in the woods.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The lodge is a stunning property on the beach, however the timeshares are back in the woods.
Yes both the June date vs a July date and the back in the woods location were factors in why I didn't jump on it before someone else took it.