• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alaska Airlines "Saver" Fares

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was at the Alaska Airlines website, doing some planning for future trips, and I noticed a new (to me) "Saver" fare option. I don't know how long this has been an option- this was the first time that I saw it.

If you see this fare, here are some potentially significant limitations for this fare:
  • No preselection of seats - seats assigned at the gate. In the comparison of fare types, Alaska says "This option is not recommended for parties of two or more". So think carefully about booking this fare if you are traveling with children.

• These seats board last. Since overhead bin space is on a first-come, first-served basis, you shouldn't plan on being able to put anything in an overhead bin.

OTOH - if there isn't overhead bin space available, Alaska typically does does gate check for no fee. So it's probably good strategy to pack a bag that can go in an overhead bin if space is available, but you are willing to check if necessary. That should save you a checked bag fee.

• No frequent flyer benefits or upgrades are available.

• There is 24-hour window after booking to make changes; this is true for all tickets. But if you are on a Saver, after that window closes, the ticket appears to be non-changeable and non-refundable. Period. No option to pay a cancellation or reticketing fee.

(Comment: in my past experience it's not really 24-hours; it's midnight of the day after the day you make a reservation.)

• You do get credit for miles flown.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Yes, Alaska just added Basic Economy about two weeks ago. It just means regular economy is now more expensive. I’m a MVP Gold 75k currently and not happy about it.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Sounds like the new fare class United introduced awhile ago.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked a saver fare to Maui on Alaska for March. It's less scary than it sounds. You are able to pre-select seats - they're just at the back of the plane. I don't really care about the lack of overhead space since we check our luggage (Alaska credit card makes that complimentary) and don't use the overhead bin anyway. The only real downside for me is not being able to change the flight, but the only time I've ever needed to change a flight in my memory has been due to flight schedule changes by the airlines and I'm guessing I'd still be able to change flights if they had a significant schedule change (I've never encountered an airline that won't do those for free).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
This new fare matches the Basic Coach now offered by Delta, an Alaska Air partner.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This new fare matches the Basic Coach now offered by Delta, an Alaska Air partner.
Delta is not an Alaska Air partner. The two airlines were partners until several years ago, with Alaska providing much of Delta's west coast service via codeshare. But when Delta decided to expand it's Northwest operations, they became rivals and the partnering arrangement ended. Delta is now building Seattle as a major hub, and their primary gateway to Asia. So it's not surprising that Alaska would need to fare match Delta.

Alaska has now become much closer with American. But after Alaska bought Virgin America, Alaska has now becoming a major US carrier in its own right - it's not just regional airline anymore. And so even American is keeping it's distance.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alaska is now becoming a major US carrier in its own right - it's not just regional airline anymore. And so even American is keeping it's distance.
I don't think Alaska can really be considered a major U.S. carrier until they develop a hub somewhere in the midwest. They pretty much fly from SEA, PDX, SFO, and LAX. If you live anywhere to the east of those cities, it really makes no sense to fly with them with any regularity as you have to connect through a west coast gateway to fly anywhere. For example, if I wanted to fly Alaska to go anywhere east from SLC, I've got to fly two hours west before I catch a flight to retrace those two hours. I can catch a flight on pretty much any other carrier and have some type of logical route eastbound (not direct, but at least a lot more direct than Alaska).

Maybe Cincinnati or Memphis might make sense. Those airports have to be begging for someone to come in since the Delta takeover of NWA and consolidation of hubs. I used to love connecting through Cincinnati - that was a great airport.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
When we fly Alaska the flights almost always connect through Seattle, so we fly north for an hour only to turn around and fly back for another hour, sometimes right over our house! I only fly Alaska if I've got miles to use and even then sometimes I'd rather pay cash on another airline just to save 2 hrs. flight time.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't think Alaska can really be considered a major U.S. carrier until they develop a hub somewhere in the midwest. They pretty much fly from SEA, PDX, SFO, and LAX. If you live anywhere to the east of those cities, it really makes no sense to fly with them with any regularity as you have to connect through a west coast gateway to fly anywhere. For example, if I wanted to fly Alaska to go anywhere east from SLC, I've got to fly two hours west before I catch a flight to retrace those two hours. I can catch a flight on pretty much any other carrier and have some type of logical route eastbound (not direct, but at least a lot more direct than Alaska).

Maybe Cincinnati or Memphis might make sense. Those airports have to be begging for someone to come in since the Delta takeover of NWA and consolidation of hubs. I used to love connecting through Cincinnati - that was a great airport.
But they fly to enough east coast destinations from the western US that it puts them in significant competition with the national airlines.

After the Delta relationship breakup, American was quite willing to be cozy with Alaska. The flights that Alaska had to points east were almost all out of Seattle and Portland, where American doesn't have much presence. And by partnering with Alaska, American could easily offer more non-stop flight options to the Northwest via codeshares.

But when Alaska acquired Virgin America, Alaska was now providing direct competition with American on flights to California. So the relationship got more distant. A lot of things went away - most notably the two airlines no longer give priority to each others frequent flyers, and you can't get mileage plan miles flying the other airlines metal on domestic flights unless you bought the ticket as a codeshare.

Although Alaska doesn't consider themselves a national carrier, their goal is to dominate the western US market. That's a big enough market for the large national carriers to consider them a competitive threat.

Alaska is now the 5th largest carrier (passenger volume) in the US - but they're still only about 1/4 the size of the big boys.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Alaska has non stops from San Diego to almost everywhere I need to go. If I can't get a non stop on Alaska I fly United since I'm a Million Miler with them.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Alaska has non stops from San Diego to almost everywhere I need to go. If I can't get a non stop on Alaska I fly United since I'm a Million Miler with them.
One of the key elements in their Virgin America purchase was to do exactly that, from all major West Coast airports. So if you live on the West Coast and want to fly east, Alaska will be the most convenient (most direct flights). The reverse is also true - if you're in the east and want to fly to the West Coast, Alaska will have the best flight options.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I haven't booked anything on AlaskaAir for about 5 months and this past week was looking to book a couple of different trips. NOT HAPPY about the new "Saver " prices or policy :crash:

Bill4728

Reaction score
So I just got done with a trip on AlaskaAir with their new "saver" fares. Got a mixed bag.

On the outbound flight we checked-in about 5 hours ahead of the flight and my DW and I got assigned seats next to each other. So no difference than previous Alaska air routine.

On the return flight again checked-in about 5 hours ahead and did not get assigned seats. So we went to the airport extra early to get our seats assigned. NO DEAL! They assign seats 1/2 before boarding and the list who get assigned first is by who checked-in first. We ended up across the aisle from each other. Not so bad for a 2 hour flight. BUT would not be happy for a long x-country flight.

Both flights were completely full and both flights we checked in 5 hours before the flight. Not sure why the difference.

BUT now like Southwest check-in as close to 24 hours ahead as you can OR pay the extra $40/person/flight and get the seat you want

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I just got done with a trip on AlaskaAir with their new "saver" fares. Got a mixed bag.

On the outbound flight we checked-in about 5 hours ahead of the flight and my DW and I got assigned seats next to each other. So no difference than previous Alaska air routine.

On the return flight again checked-in about 5 hours ahead and did not get assigned seats. So we went to the airport extra early to get our seats assigned. NO DEAL! They assign seats 1/2 before boarding and the list who get assigned first is by who checked-in first. We ended up across the aisle from each other. Not so bad for a 2 hour flight. BUT would not be happy for a long x-country flight.

Both flights were completely full and both flights we checked in 5 hours before the flight. Not sure why the difference.

BUT now like Southwest check-in as close to 24 hours ahead as you can OR pay the extra $40/person/flight and get the seat you want
Was just looking at this today. I did let me select my seat when buying ticket. Saw the mention about two people traveling and wondered if you could just book separately and each of you select a seat, hopefully next to each other.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
We've been flying Alaska to Maui (from DFW) because we use the annual companion fare that comes with their Visa card.
Worth it for us and we typically take aisle seats across from each other as their planes have the 737 3-3 seating.

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m an Alaska MVP and card holder. Since saver fares began I’ve flown 3 trips and have opted for higher fare.
I fly primarily for business and both flight times and price are important. I haven’t found SW to be any better for me in either category.
When my wife and I travel together we either us miles or companion fare, but we will have a short hop in October Seattle to Portland where we’ll book the cheaper rate.
I would never book the cheaper rates on other airlines either, especially for long flights. Alaska’s saver fares though do offer more than other lines.