• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airlines and Cruise Ships Crack Down On Emotional Support Animals Onboard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Airlines and Cruise Ships Crack Down On Emotional Support Animals Onboard
By Scott Stump/ Pets/ Today/ today.com

"Southwest Airlines became the latest carrier to impose stricter regulations on those traveling with emotional support animals.

Sorry, your emotional support hedgehog is not allowed on the plane.

Southwest Airlines is the latest large carrier to tighten the leash on passengers bringing emotional support animals (ESAs) onboard. The airline announced that starting in September, only dogs and cats on a leash or in a carrier will be allowed to fly as ESAs and passengers can travel with only one animal.

Those traveling with an ESA also must present a letter from a doctor or a licensed mental health professional, as the airline looks to crack down on passengers abusing the use of an ESA in order to fly with their pets free of charge.

Federal regulations allow some disabled passengers to fly with their service animals, and the Air Carrier Service Act allows for those with mental-health issues to travel with an ESA free of charge if it helps alleviate anxiety.

However, airlines are looking to reduce the amount of people cheating the system by getting certified online for an ESA without any proof just so they don't have to pay for their pet to travel.

Airlines and cruise lines are also trying to halt the procession of an array of animals such as ducks, pigs, kangaroos, and hedgehogs that passengers are using as emotional support animals. In January, United Airlines turned away a customer traveling with an emotional support peacock......"

Richard

KossB

Reaction score
The article that you linked to about the peacock contains a link to a pamphlet published by the US Department of Transportation. The pamphlet explains the federal law known as the Air Carrier Access Act. The link to the pamphlet is: https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/AirTravel_with_ServiceAnimals-TriFold.pdf

The new policy announced by Southwest Airlines appears to be in violation of the guidelines contained in this pamphlet. The pamphlet says:

"A wide variety of service animals are permitted onboard aircraft flying to and within the United States; however, most service animals tend to be dogs and cats. Unusual animals are evaluated on a case-by-case basis."

It then gives four different reasons why an airline may exclude an animal.

But Southwest has arbitrarily decided that only dogs and cats will be permitted as ESA. They appear to be ignoring the requirement to evaluate unusual animals on a case-by-case basis.

I am not saying United was required by law to allow the peacock. The airline was probably within its discretion if it determined that the peacock was "too large or heavy to be accommodated," or that it "would cause a significant disruption of cabin service." These are among the reasons that an airline may deny boarding to a service animal.

I do not have a service animal. And I do not travel with anyone who has a service animal.

I have no doubt that some people are abusing the system. And the guidelines described in the pamphlet do indeed allow an airline to require documentation from a physician or mental health professional for an emotional support animal.

I'm not an attorney. But you don't need to be an attorney to understand the plain English of the pamphlet. It says that unusual animals are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Southwest appears to be saying they will no longer do this, and will prohibit any animal that is not a dog or cat from traveling as an ESA. This appears to be a violation of the guidelines.

BMK

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this topics. Passengers on cruise ships and airlines please adhere to these new policies. Tuggers!!! Please share this article with your friends that have ESA. ASAP!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I rely on my husband for emotional support. Thank you for posting. I’m not being sarcastic.
Silentg

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
It's about time and I hope the resorts stick to their guns and prevent the ESA abuse!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Someone just sent me a link saying Southwest is going to allow service miniature ponies on board.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone just sent me a link saying Southwest is going to allow service miniature ponies on board.
I admit that I was as surprised by this as I am sure you were. Checking on the net, the American With Disabilities Act specifically mentions miniature horses as a service animal. The only other animal mentioned as potential service animals are dogs. (Cats are not mentioned.) I would guess Southwest is bowing to the legal requirements of the ADA. (I think that they could avoid allowing miniature horses if they chose under provisions three and four as to whether a business needs to accommodate a service animal...

(3) whether the facility can accommodate the miniature horse’s type, size, and weight; and (4) whether the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation of the facility.​

I included provision (4) in that I wonder about a miniature horse interfering with the evacuation of a plane.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it difficult to imagine how a pony could fit in the floor space allotted.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I find it difficult to imagine how a pony could fit in the floor space allotted.

I thought the same when I asked on a Great Dane service dog board (other boards on explore.org were mentioning that puppies were being born, so I went there to look at the new puppies). The answer was that you would be surprised how tucked in a GD can make itself. Seems to me that mini horses would not have much tucking ability. (If you are ever at the Solvang Worldmark be sure to go see the minis at Quicksilver Farm).

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
So instead of a seat, would you be strapped on to the mini pony, in the back of the plane?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Might make running the drink cart up & down the aisle to SELL liquid refreshments a bit harder and/or SLOWER. Might also be more difficult getting to a toilet on a SWA plane.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
According to Southwest's policies, it sounds like you now have to either keep your husband on a leash or put him in a carrier. :D:D:D

Kurt
Mine will never fit under the seat. ;)

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
According to Southwest's policies, it sounds like you now have to either keep your husband on a leash or put him in a carrier. :D:D:D

Kurt
Ha ha

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
How can a miniature horse enter an airport, passed thru TSA security, wait in the passenger waiting area to board a plane, walk up the boarding ramp, find his seat without causing a problem with their emotional flying owner???:eek:

Will a miniature horse needs a special TSA security pass/ID. with a photo ID ?o_Oo_O

I guess that miniature horse will need to purchase an airline ticket because they will be occupying a seat. :wave::wave::doh::doh::doh:

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was minding my own business on a Tiki bar one fine, sunny day at my favorite South Florida TS resort when some guy appeared with his 125+lb large DOG. Resort has a NO PET policy and sure enough, this was a ESA. Dog was on a leash .. but seldom did the owner HOLD the lease or tie the leash to a post. DOG drugged the leash around on the ground. Owner was drinking away and trying to smooze me ... hence, he told me about his needing his dog with him at all times. Let's see DRINKING licquor MIGHT mess with drugs needed to manage ANY mental health drugs ... of course, unless you have a ES dog!

And I spent some effort for the rest of my week's stay ... to keep away from him. Crazy or strange is not corrected by having an ESA.... IMHO.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While I agree with the comments on this thread, just to be clear, the ADA lists miniature horses as a service animal and not as an emotional support animal. A service animal has to do things like open doors, take items out of a refrigerator (a water bottle for example), take laundry out of the drier, hand a cashier a credit card, respond to fire alarms, pick up a phone, help people cross streets, etc. (What exactly the animal has to do differs depending upon the specific needs of the owner.) Southwest is accepting ponies as service animals and not emotional support animals.

Most service dogs are two or three years old before being given to the recipient and are often retired at the age of seven or eight. The argument for training ponies as service animals is that they can aide their owners for a much greater span of time than a dog.

As said, I have a hard time imagining a pony going through an airport and sitting on a plane, but maybe one day I will see one doing just that. Hopefully they won't be trained to rat me out to the flight attendant if I don't have my seat belt buckled.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm not an attorney. But you don't need to be an attorney to understand the plain English of the pamphlet. It says that unusual animals are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Southwest appears to be saying they will no longer do this, and will prohibit any animal that is not a dog or cat from traveling as an ESA. This appears to be a violation of the guidelines.
Unless and until someone challenges them in court, I guess their policy would stick.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Miniature horses range in size 36 to 38 inches. This is information only. They are a very friendly pet to human.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
How can a miniature horse enter an airport, passed thru TSA security, wait in the passenger waiting area to board a plane, walk up the boarding ramp, find his seat without causing a problem with their emotional flying owner???:eek:

Will a miniature horse needs a special TSA security pass/ID. with a photo ID ?o_Oo_O

I guess that miniature horse will need to purchase an airline ticket because they will be occupying a seat. :wave::wave::doh::doh::doh:
I believe you are joking a bit, but in case others don't know what a minature horse would look like on a plane -- not much different than a lab or golden retriever in size:
xenhanced-14250-1413311103-12.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.Nc4J1fmXzN-600x414.jpg

Compare that to some of the ridiculous "emotional support animals" that people drag onboard just to skirt around the rules of paying to transport their pet because they are too selfish/cheap to leave at home:
img_1869-h_2016.jpg

Kurt

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Southwest Airlines Bans Peanuts (But Your Trained Service Miniature Horse is Ok)
By Peter Economy/ Best Kept Travel Secrets/ Inc./ inc.com

"If you fly Southwest Airlines, you are welcome to bring along your emotional support or trained service dog, cat, or miniature horse -- but leave your peanuts at home....."
Another misleading article title (on a pop-up ad-ridden site). It implies that miniature horses are allowed as emotional support pets, but right in the article it states:

Beginning September 17, 2018, emotional support animals will be limited to just dogs and cats, and trained service animals will be limited to just three breeds: dogs, cats, and miniature horses

Awful journalism as usual...

Kurt