• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airfare to Hawaii from the East coast

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've exchanged two weeks next May for Hawaii and started looking for airline tickets. Our group will depart from DC and Detroit. I have plenty of United Airline mileage but it does not look very attractive to use them for tickets already. Our last trip to Hawaii, our younger son was could barely pull himself up, now he is a Junior in college. I have no idea what is considered good price. I need some help so that I can jump in before it is too late.

Many thanks for your help,

Jane

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We booked our Feb/Mar 2019 trip back in April for $868/RT on American. That's for Charlotte to Honolulu and return from Kona to Charlotte. We were very happy with that fare for peak winter travel season.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
I've exchanged two weeks next May for Hawaii and started looking for airline tickets. Our group will depart from DC and Detroit. I have plenty of United Airline mileage but it does not look very attractive to use them for tickets already. Our last trip to Hawaii, our younger son was could barely pull himself up, now he is a Junior in college. I have no idea what is considered good price. I need some help so that I can jump in before it is too late.

Jane

Use Google Flight search to find the best deals. Sometimes the best deal maybe at an airport in a nearby city.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
We booked our Feb 2019 trip in April also. We were able to use miles and got a very good schedule in FC from Norfolk, VA to Maui on American. We had each received 60,000 freebie miles in March for a credit card promotion offered to us during our flight to Cancun in January. With the freebie miles and buying discounted miles during a promotion, it turned out to be a very good deal for us. It makes me nervous to wait. I try to get my tickets as soon as schedules open up, especially during high season.

We used 125,000 miles per roundtrip ticket. I consider that a $1250. It was great to be able to use miles because I believe the tickets would have been in the $2200+ range if paying cash. It was one of those times that it just worked out.

Good luck to you!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The best ticket value to Hawaii (my first visit) for me was the lull between the attack by Iraq on Iran and the US reply. Under $400 RT. On Eastern Airlines. From PHL.

The ONLY issue .. no single travellers as the hotel room was included in the cost of the flight for a 5-7 night stay. Had to FIND a new friend ... it was a interesting trip but very platonic. We did a lot of very touristy things ... he was planning his honeymoon trip.

Hawaii was just about EMPTY of tourists .... we also took a day trip flying over to the Big Island to see the lava flowing in to the ocean. STOOD right on the overhang .. no boats or helicopter viewing. Walked by the Ranger Station ... maybe a 15 minute walk from the parking lot to the lava flowing.

January, 1991 trip.

If it wasn't Eastern Airlines .. it had to have been TWA. I belong to both of their travel clubs with discounted, last minute trip offers sent via USPS. No internet in those days.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We booked our Feb 2019 trip in April also. We were able to use miles and got a very good schedule in FC from Norfolk, VA to Maui on American. We had each received 60,000 freebie miles in March for a credit card promotion offered to us during our flight to Cancun in January. With the freebie miles and buying discounted miles during a promotion, it turned out to be a very good deal for us. It makes me nervous to wait. I try to get my tickets as soon as schedules open up, especially during high season.

We used 125,000 miles per roundtrip ticket. I consider that a $1250. It was great to be able to use miles because I believe the tickets would have been in the $2200+ range if paying cash. It was one of those times that it just worked out.

Good luck to you!
Thanks Egret1986 for sharing this information about Norfolk, VA airport. What was your connecting airport stops from Norfolk to Maui and the total flight time?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
If you get an Alaska credit card for $75 annual fee, you'll get a buy one/get one free companion ticket you can use for Hawaii. Alaska has flights out of DC and Detroit.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
You're probably already past the point of getting the best value for using miles, since you really should book those at 300 days out (or whenever the airline you use releases them). $780 from IAD-HNL (1 stop) isn't bad at all, but the return trip is far from ideal (7am departure). That would be a hard pass for me, personally. Flying out of DCA is pretty expensive, and BWI has few options.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Egret1986 for sharing this information about Norfolk, VA airport. What was your connecting airport stops from Norfolk to Maui and the total flight time?

Heading to OGG 2 Stops (CLT/PHX) 14.48
Home from OGG 1 Stop (DFW) 11.57

This will be a second trip to HI, first for Maui.

When we went in 2015 to Kauai and Big Island, we did things lots differently. Flying to HI, we stopped overnight in San Jose to break up the trip. We used Alaska Airlines for a free companion ticket, in economy most legs of the trip.

After reading posts in another thread (and getting those free 120,000 points just in time), we opted for flights straight through in First Class. I'm very happy with the schedules and out-of-pocket costs. While I was checking for the flight times, these tickets now have a cash price of $3400/pp. However, I would still be able to get the same schedule and use same number of miles. There's still availability.

You're probably already past the point of getting the best value for using miles, since you really should book those at 300 days out (or whenever the airline you use releases them).

That's my thoughts about using points/miles. However, as noted above, in my case with AA, 3-1/2 months after I purchased my tickets, there's still availability for the same schedule using same number of miles. The cash price of the tickets increased since buying.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Egret1986, you have really help us in planning a vacation to Hawaii. We are applying for an Alaska Airline credit card.

Looking at a one day staying in San Francisco or San Jose to break up the long flight.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's my thoughts about using points/miles. However, as noted above, in my case with AA, 3-1/2 months after I purchased my tickets, there's still availability for the same schedule using same number of miles. The cash price of the tickets increased since buying.

Were they MileSAAver or AAnytime awards? That's where I was going with it. You'll likely still find AAnytime availability, right up to departure (that was the case for my most recent trip), but it costs more miles going that route. MileSAAver awards are less than half of AAnytime.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Thanks Egret1986, you have really help us in planning a vacation to Hawaii. We are applying for an Alaska Airline credit card.

Looking at a one day staying in San Francisco or San Jose to break up the long flight.
Make sure Alaska has flights you want before applying for the credit card. They do change the $75 upfront. The good news is that the companion coupon is usually available shortly after your application is approved.

Another Hawaii tip is you have some AA miles, it doesn't take many to book interisland flights. They have a partnership with Hawaiian, so many interisland flights are available.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
If you get an Alaska credit card for $75 annual fee, you'll get a buy one/get one free companion ticket you can use for Hawaii. Alaska has flights out of DC and Detroit.

Wow do they fly out of NY? Are there restrictions/blackouts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Wow do they fly out of NY? Are there restrictions/blackouts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can check the Alaska Airlines website to see exactly where they fly. New York is one of the choices for flights.

https://www.alaskaair.com/

I don't think there are black out dates, or restrictions for the companion fare.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks liked we need to travel to Washington, DC for Alaska Airlines. Thanks for the information and suggestions.:thumbup::thumbup:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Another Hawaii tip is you have some AA miles, it doesn't take many to book interisland flights. They have a partnership with Hawaiian, so many interisland flights are available.

That's what we're doing for our Feb/Mar 2019 trip...paid cash for the flights over and back since the fare was reasonable and no AA MileageSaver Awards were available on the desirable flight times. (Are they EVER available for good flights? Seems not for us.) Each inter-island segment on Hawaiian is 7500 AAdvantage miles, so we booked all three inter-island segments for the two of us for only 45,000 total miles.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Were they MileSAAver or AAnytime awards? That's where I was going with it. You'll likely still find AAnytime availability, right up to departure (that was the case for my most recent trip), but it costs more miles going that route. MileSAAver awards are less than half of AAnytime.

I was thinking that they were MileSAAver (40,000); however, you are correct that they are AAnytime (67,500). Not as big of a difference in awards as I usually see. I guess that's why I thought that they were MileSAAver. Usually, the amount of awards for AAnytime doesn't make sense. This time it did (especially with the free miles).

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
All depends on what you are willing to pay, vs. what you value a United mile at. Especially from DC area. And sounds like United is your only FF option available, which looks like at best is 45k miles round trip. Not sure which islands you are flying into or out of, or day of week you would be traveling. I do see the nonstop currently available from Dulles to HNL on Saturdays in May; with $840 roundtrip purchase price (though always a possibility that flight could be discontinued between now and May) - but don't expect to see saver award availability on that flight; at least at this point in time. One challenge I always have booking so far in advance is schedule changes, especially when travel involves multiple flights.

We also have broken up trips to Hawaii (leaving BWI in evening, going to west coast then next morning flight to Hawaii). At least gets our bodies going the right direction with the time change (vs. getting up early to catch a flight and spend all day flying).

If you want to look into Alaska companion, that's fine. But bear in mind flight options and layovers may not be as great. So you should probably see what flight options are available before considering further.

I will also say Southwest is supposed to have scheduled service to Hawaii by that time (which might lead to lower prices to the islands; as long as oil prices don't spike further in the meantime). But remains to be seen when booking will become available.

Absent using FF miles or companion pass, anything under $800 for round-trip is reasonable at this point from DC. Under $700 very good in my opinion. DTW I can't comment on.

Jane

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
One challenge I always have booking so far in advance is schedule changes, especially when travel involves multiple flights.

We also have broken up trips to Hawaii (leaving BWI in evening, going to west coast then next morning flight to Hawaii). At least gets our bodies going the right direction with the time change (vs. getting up early to catch a flight and spend all day flying).

Schedule changes. Yes, fingers crossed none take place. Forgot about those. :rolleyes: They can really screw up a plan.

Yes, first trip to HI, we stopped in San Jose overnight and then flew out the next morning. It was definitely nice to have that break before continuing the journey.

This time we're going to try the "get up early and fly all day."

Travel days are naturally our worse days on vacation. I can't imagine what 15 hours of straight travel will do to us. My thought was First Class will help. Yes, it will help, but ...... :eek:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You're all but guaranteed to have schedule changes on flights to Hawai'i. It has happened every single trip for us, but most of the time hasn't been a problem. This year was an anomoly, as I used AAnytime miles for our seats, and American wanted to charge me for the same MCE seats after the flights changed, even though I purchased the tickets on the last day before their new policy went into effect (no free MCE with AAnytime tickets). They corrected it, but it took a phone call to get done.

As for stopping over, we did that two years ago at LAX. Never. Again. It was the first time we had stayed the night before flying to Maui the next morning, and the lag between time zone changes completely screwed us all up. We went back to flying straight through (PHL->LAX->OGG) this year, with much better results. To each his own there.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You're all but guaranteed to have schedule changes on flights to Hawai'i. It has happened every single trip for us, but most of the time hasn't been a problem. This year was an anomoly, as I used AAnytime miles for our seats, and American wanted to charge me for the same MCE seats after the flights changed, even though I purchased the tickets on the last day before their new policy went into effect (no free MCE with AAnytime tickets). They corrected it, but it took a phone call to get done.

As for stopping over, we did that two years ago at LAX. Never. Again. It was the first time we had stayed the night before flying to Maui the next morning, and the lag between time zone changes completely screwed us all up. We went back to flying straight through (PHL->LAX->OGG) this year, with much better results. To each his own there.
We stop in San Francisco and spend two night there coming, and going. We have the time now that we are retired, and our older dd lives in that area, so it gives us a chance to spend some time with her.

Our worst schedule changes have occurred when a flight was completely cancelled. One time our flight from Maui to Denver (then on to Albuquerque) was cancelled. We were re-routed on a flight from Maui to Chicago, then Chicago to Albuquerque. It was after this disaster that we started flying to the San Francisco area and spending a couple of nights there.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Travel days are naturally our worse days on vacation. I can't imagine what 15 hours of straight travel will do to us. My thought was First Class will help. Yes, it will help, but ...... :eek:

First Class is what we use our airline miles for. Yes a splurge but for trips in excess of 8 hours I believe the splurge is worth it! The difference in how I feel after the flight is noticeable.

vbk

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jane

We fly out of Newark every year and usually pay from $775-850 from Newark to HNL, usually direct about 11 hours. Then we pay about $75 each way to Kauai. We don't book far in advance because our work schedules do not allow. This year for our August 2018 trip we used United miles bought in April; 45,000 miles to Kauai for each ticket with one stop in HNL. We couldn't travel on a Saturday, which worked for us.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
consider this:

The non-stop DCA or EWR flights to HNL (when they run...not year round and limited travel days) are at least 10:41 or more. That's a long, long, long, time on one airplane if you're not used to it. Plus, it your destination isn't HNL, then you've got another 3 hours of travel to go.

I'd strongly suggest you'd be better served with a DC (WAS) to SFO/LAX and spread the love. Build a slightly longer layover in SFO/LAX to allow for flight delays and give yourself time for a long walk, a potty break, a glass of wine and some non-recirculated air. This also has the advantage of taking you direct to HNL or LIH or OGG or ITO etc... and not just HNL.

Just my 2c

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We fly out of Newark every year and usually pay from $775-850 from Newark to HNL, usually direct about 11 hours. Then we pay about $75 each way to Kauai. We don't book far in advance because our work schedules do not allow. This year for our August 2018 trip we used United miles bought in April; 45,000 miles to Kauai for each ticket with one stop in HNL. We couldn't travel on a Saturday, which worked for us.

I fly out of Newark nonstop using United. $775-$850 is the lowest I've seen. Typically with advance booking it's $950 - $1050 round trip nonstop both ways to HNL. First class RT lowest I've seen is $2,100- $2,200 (one leg first class $1,576)

45,000 miles each way using miles in economy 95,000 miles each way business/first class (nice lie down seats). I have seen super saver 22,500 miles in economy but have yet to see super saver business/first class at 50% off miles.
Last year I scored and was able to book economy nonstop going to HNL 22,500 miles for that leg. I splurged and for my brother's family's xmas gift "paid" for three of their tickets going :) and going back went first class with the lie down seats.